P4C800-E Deluxe - strange boot problems

Hi all,

Need some help. I purchased and built the following system about a
week ago.

P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
Western Digital WDC 1600JB 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
Nvidia TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
Two sticks 256 meg Crucial DDR PC3200 memory
Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
Windows XP with SP1
Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 Capture card
Soundblaster PCI 16 sound card

Everything seems to be working great the first few days. Then one day my
wife turned on the computer before she went to work and left it on when
she left (We usually leave it on all day). When I came home, the screen
was blank. (In display properties, the moniter was set to never turn
off). I turned the power off and rebooted the system and still not
video. First thing I did was check the video card in another computer
and it worked fine. After several other tries, I cleared the cmos with
the RTC jumper and presto I had video back - but when I boot and came to
the logon screen, no keyboard or mouse. So I rebooted and watched the
post message and it reported no keyboard or mouse again. I again cleared
the cmos via the RTC jumper and it booted fine. Now it will boot fine
one time and then maybe the next no keyboard and floppy again. And
sometimes if I do a restart in XP I lose the video again.

Need any information or suggestions anyone can give me. I was going to
reflash the bios with the latest version but am nervous about doing
that.

Many thanks in advance

Butch
6 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 deluxe strange boot problems

    Hi there,

    What Video card are you using?

    Tim.

    "Butch Hinton" <kd3yt123@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some help. I purchased and built the following system about a
    > week ago.
    >
    > P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    > Western Digital WDC 1600JB 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
    > Nvidia TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
    > Two sticks 256 meg Crucial DDR PC3200 memory
    > Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
    > Windows XP with SP1
    > Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 Capture card
    > Soundblaster PCI 16 sound card
    >
    > Everything seems to be working great the first few days. Then one day my
    > wife turned on the computer before she went to work and left it on when
    > she left (We usually leave it on all day). When I came home, the screen
    > was blank. (In display properties, the moniter was set to never turn
    > off). I turned the power off and rebooted the system and still not
    > video. First thing I did was check the video card in another computer
    > and it worked fine. After several other tries, I cleared the cmos with
    > the RTC jumper and presto I had video back - but when I boot and came to
    > the logon screen, no keyboard or mouse. So I rebooted and watched the
    > post message and it reported no keyboard or mouse again. I again cleared
    > the cmos via the RTC jumper and it booted fine. Now it will boot fine
    > one time and then maybe the next no keyboard and floppy again. And
    > sometimes if I do a restart in XP I lose the video again.
    >
    > Need any information or suggestions anyone can give me. I was going to
    > reflash the bios with the latest version but am nervous about doing
    > that.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Butch

    Video card is a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 32 meg PCI

    Also to update original post - Hooked speakers up to the voice post and
    most of the time I get "no keyboard detected" and sometimes I get
    "System failed VGA Test"

    Butch

    Tim wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > What Video card are you using?
    >
    > Tim.
    >

    > "Butch Hinton" <kd3yt123@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Need some help. I purchased and built the following system about a
    >>week ago.
    >>
    >>P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    >>Western Digital WDC 1600JB 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
    >>Nvidia TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
    >>Two sticks 256 meg Crucial DDR PC3200 memory
    >>Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
    >>Windows XP with SP1
    >>Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 Capture card
    >>Soundblaster PCI 16 sound card
    >>
    >>Everything seems to be working great the first few days. Then one day my
    >>wife turned on the computer before she went to work and left it on when
    >>she left (We usually leave it on all day). When I came home, the screen
    >>was blank. (In display properties, the moniter was set to never turn
    >>off). I turned the power off and rebooted the system and still not
    >>video. First thing I did was check the video card in another computer
    >>and it worked fine. After several other tries, I cleared the cmos with
    >>the RTC jumper and presto I had video back - but when I boot and came to
    >>the logon screen, no keyboard or mouse. So I rebooted and watched the
    >>post message and it reported no keyboard or mouse again. I again cleared
    >>the cmos via the RTC jumper and it booted fine. Now it will boot fine
    >>one time and then maybe the next no keyboard and floppy again. And
    >>sometimes if I do a restart in XP I lose the video again.
    >>
    >>Need any information or suggestions anyone can give me. I was going to
    >>reflash the bios with the latest version but am nervous about doing
    >>that.
    >>
    >>Many thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Butch

    Just some thoughts.
    You said that you tried the video card in another machine. Was the other
    machine Win XP or Win 98? I believe the drivers for the video card need to
    be Nvidia ver. 45.33 or later to work well with XP. In BIOS there is a
    setting under Advanced Chipset that allows you to choose between AGP or PCI
    as your Graphics Adapter Priority. Did you choose PCI?

    Mox

    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    P 4, 3.0GHz 800MHz Pres.
    2 x 512 Corsair XMS 3200
    Asylum FX 5900 128MB
    WD 60 GB Main Drive
    Maxtor 160 GB Storage
    Micro Advantage DVD/RW
    Win XP Pro
    420 Watt PSU

    > Video card is a Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64 32 meg PCI
    >
    > Also to update original post - Hooked speakers up to the voice post and
    > most of the time I get "no keyboard detected" and sometimes I get
    > "System failed VGA Test"
    >
    > Butch
    >
    > Tim wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > What Video card are you using?
    > >
    > > Tim.
    > >

    > > "Butch Hinton" <kd3yt123@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hi all,
    > >>
    > >>Need some help. I purchased and built the following system about a
    > >>week ago.
    > >>
    > >>P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    > >>Western Digital WDC 1600JB 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
    > >>Nvidia TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
    > >>Two sticks 256 meg Crucial DDR PC3200 memory
    > >>Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
    > >>Windows XP with SP1
    > >>Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 Capture card
    > >>Soundblaster PCI 16 sound card
    > >>
    > >>Everything seems to be working great the first few days. Then one day my
    > >>wife turned on the computer before she went to work and left it on when
    > >>she left (We usually leave it on all day). When I came home, the screen
    > >>was blank. (In display properties, the moniter was set to never turn
    > >>off). I turned the power off and rebooted the system and still not
    > >>video. First thing I did was check the video card in another computer
    > >>and it worked fine. After several other tries, I cleared the cmos with
    > >>the RTC jumper and presto I had video back - but when I boot and came to
    > >>the logon screen, no keyboard or mouse. So I rebooted and watched the
    > >>post message and it reported no keyboard or mouse again. I again cleared
    > >>the cmos via the RTC jumper and it booted fine. Now it will boot fine
    > >>one time and then maybe the next no keyboard and floppy again. And
    > >>sometimes if I do a restart in XP I lose the video again.
    > >>
    > >>Need any information or suggestions anyone can give me. I was going to
    > >>reflash the bios with the latest version but am nervous about doing
    > >>that.
    > >>
    > >>Many thanks in advance
    > >>
    > >>Butch

    Got it!

    Replaced video card with an AGP 8X PNY GFORCE FX 5200 AGP 8X
    and all is working great!!

    Many thanks to all who replied! ! ! ! !

    Butch

    Butch Hinton wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some help. I purchased and built the following system about a
    > week ago.
    >
    > P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    > Western Digital WDC 1600JB 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
    > Nvidia TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
    > Two sticks 256 meg Crucial DDR PC3200 memory
    > Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
    > Windows XP with SP1
    > Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 Capture card
    > Soundblaster PCI 16 sound card
    >
    > Everything seems to be working great the first few days. Then one day my
    > wife turned on the computer before she went to work and left it on when
    > she left (We usually leave it on all day). When I came home, the screen
    > was blank. (In display properties, the moniter was set to never turn
    > off). I turned the power off and rebooted the system and still not
    > video. First thing I did was check the video card in another computer
    > and it worked fine. After several other tries, I cleared the cmos with
    > the RTC jumper and presto I had video back - but when I boot and came to
    > the logon screen, no keyboard or mouse. So I rebooted and watched the
    > post message and it reported no keyboard or mouse again. I again cleared
    > the cmos via the RTC jumper and it booted fine. Now it will boot fine
    > one time and then maybe the next no keyboard and floppy again. And
    > sometimes if I do a restart in XP I lose the video again.
    >
    > Need any information or suggestions anyone can give me. I was going to
    > reflash the bios with the latest version but am nervous about doing
    > that.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Butch

    Hi,
    Six frustrating days ago I had installed in my PC the same motherboard:
    P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    also new
    Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
    2 x 512 Mb RAM
    Leadtek VGA- A360TD (FX5700) 128MB

    Old stuff :
    Windows XP with SP1
    Hauppauge WinTV
    Logitech Cordless Mx Duo (mouse and keybord)
    Western Digital WDC WD800JB 80 GB hard drive
    etc.

    First of all, support CD with drivers is not working properly ... which is
    strange ... I can see menu but when I tray to install drivers it goes on
    forever . The same happened on th other computer .... damaged disk?

    It also gives me error on Boot : " No drive attached to FastTrack
    controller- the BIOS is not installed" ???? still trying to understand it
    fully but I will flash BIOS with the latest version.
    I managed to install LAN driver and I downloaded drivers + latest BIOS from
    Asus site

    It also tends to hang my mouse almost every time I install new Software ,
    and once hanged keybord. The mouse is usually OK after next reboot
    (sometimes I press F8 for safe reboot).

    I reformated HD and reinstalled WinXP..... installation over the old copy
    dint'work, it usually doesn't.
    The system works OK today, but I feel unezy. I will install latest BIOS, and
    if problem persists all the drivers again.

    In your case I would:
    Remove sound card .... use sound on the M-bord it is decent enough,
    Reinstall all the drivers,
    Think about updating video card ... I may be wrong but it looks like
    missmatch. But at least find the latest drivers for video card !!!
    Be brave and flash this BIOS ... -:) I am going to do the same.
    Update all the drivers from the vedors site .... I had to update driver for
    the WinTv Capture Card.

    Cheers
    Kris

    "Butch Hinton" <kd3yt123@atlanticbb.net> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Need some help. I purchased and built the following system about a
    > week ago.
    >
    > P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard
    > Western Digital WDC 1600JB 160 GB Ultra ATA 100 hard drive
    > Nvidia TNT2 32 MB PCI video card
    > Two sticks 256 meg Crucial DDR PC3200 memory
    > Intel P4 3.0 GHZ Hyperthreading CPU
    > Windows XP with SP1
    > Hauppauge WinTV Model 401 Capture card
    > Soundblaster PCI 16 sound card
    >
    > Everything seems to be working great the first few days. Then one day my
    > wife turned on the computer before she went to work and left it on when
    > she left (We usually leave it on all day). When I came home, the screen
    > was blank. (In display properties, the moniter was set to never turn
    > off). I turned the power off and rebooted the system and still not
    > video. First thing I did was check the video card in another computer
    > and it worked fine. After several other tries, I cleared the cmos with
    > the RTC jumper and presto I had video back - but when I boot and came to
    > the logon screen, no keyboard or mouse. So I rebooted and watched the
    > post message and it reported no keyboard or mouse again. I again cleared
    > the cmos via the RTC jumper and it booted fine. Now it will boot fine
    > one time and then maybe the next no keyboard and floppy again. And
    > sometimes if I do a restart in XP I lose the video again.
    >
    > Need any information or suggestions anyone can give me. I was going to
    > reflash the bios with the latest version but am nervous about doing
    > that.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > Butch

    If Fastrak is involved (that is not bad), you might consider disabling the
    Promise controller in BIOS and using the Intel controller and connections IF
    you decided to do a virgin install of Windows and start over.

    MikeSp

Asus Motherboards