ASUS A7n8x Deluxe Rev. 1 power up curiosity

Hello,

I own a computer with Athlon XP 2800, ATI 9600 Pro on a Asus A7N8x
Deluxe Rev. 1 Mobo.
The Problem: Normally to turn your computer on, you press the Power
switch once. But on my computer it only works if you press the switch
twice, or press it for 3-5 seconds before the computer starts. I
installed the latest BIOS update also. I don't think it's the Switch
of the case making problems, 'cause I just installed a module to power
up the computer via IR-Remote, and this is switched between the switch
and the mobo, and the same problem, I have to press the power button
on the remote twice before the computer starts. Anyon has an idea what
could be wrong??? Thanx a lot.

Regards

Paul

Splendid

In article <db896251.0407050732.52ed7703@posting.google.com>,
dr@ite-computence.com (snapjack) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I own a computer with Athlon XP 2800, ATI 9600 Pro on a Asus A7N8x
> Deluxe Rev. 1 Mobo.
> The Problem: Normally to turn your computer on, you press the Power
> switch once. But on my computer it only works if you press the switch
> twice, or press it for 3-5 seconds before the computer starts. I
> installed the latest BIOS update also. I don't think it's the Switch
> of the case making problems, 'cause I just installed a module to power
> up the computer via IR-Remote, and this is switched between the switch
> and the mobo, and the same problem, I have to press the power button
> on the remote twice before the computer starts. Anyon has an idea what
> could be wrong??? Thanx a lot.
>
> Regards

Part of the motherboard thinks the computer is still powered.
The first press of the button is getting that part of the
computer into the "I think I'm powered off" state. The
second press is finally powering on the computer.

There have been cases in the past, where a leakage current
flowing into the motherboard can do something like that, but
the symptoms in that case are, you cannot get the computer
to respond to the buttons at all.

I would start by swapping the power supply, but I cannot give
you are reason for this, other than that power supplies are
a source of so many problems with computers. Either swap the
power supply, or RMA the motherboard, depending on how much of
a hurry you are in, or how much money you have to spend to
fix it. The RMA might be cheaper, but will take longer. Swapping
the power supply might not fix it, and you might still have
to return the motherboard.

Since your IR Remote works at the power switch input, it doesn't
tell us anything about whether this is a motherboard malfunction
or some kind of problem with the PSU.

There is a remote possibility something is partially shorting to
the motherboard itself, like a standoff or something else. You
could try the "cardboard test", where you test the motherboard
while it is sitting on an insulator like cardboard or wood.
Perhaps you can do that kind of test, just before returning
the motherboard, to see if it has something to do with something
touching the board. (I take the guts of the computer and just
sit them on a table, for that kind of test. The PSU is easy to
remove.)

I take it the date and time are correctly being kept by your
computer ? Do you lose BIOS settings ?

Best guess,
Paul