On my P4T533-C USB2 doesn't work

Bought two years ago.
Never really needed USB2 till now.

Neither the pair of (of two pairs of) on-board USB2's nor the
additional USB2 header does the job.
As far as I can see, all jumper settings are according to USB2
enabling.

The harware manager shows a lot of USB stuff, six "USB Root Hub"
devices, and things (NEC etc.).

Got me an additional combi-card (adaptec AUA-3121 Duo Connect)
more than one year ago, featuring two IEEE 1394 Ports - and
three more USB2.

These function; but not all of them with my USB 2.0 Video
grabber. One does. But video grabbing still fails with every
single program I tried. Yes, it may well be the grabber that
spoils the fun here ...
But then, as I tried the supposed "USB2" connectors that Asus
provides, I found out that they in fact do not work as 2.0:
Warning balloon said that a Hi-speed USB device was being
connected to a non-Highspeed Port ...

It's the drivers, I reckon :-<

Anyone any idea how best to start fixing all of this muddle?

[Win XP(H)]

JJ
--
m.a.i.l rot13 qrygn-fpbecvbavfNGtzk.qr

joek

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Is the USB2 enabled and configured in BIOS?

"Jon J Panury" <jjp.nospam@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Bought two years ago.
> Never really needed USB2 till now.
>
> Neither the pair of (of two pairs of) on-board USB2's nor the
> additional USB2 header does the job.
> As far as I can see, all jumper settings are according to USB2
> enabling.
>
> The harware manager shows a lot of USB stuff, six "USB Root Hub"
> devices, and things (NEC etc.).
>
> Got me an additional combi-card (adaptec AUA-3121 Duo Connect)
> more than one year ago, featuring two IEEE 1394 Ports - and
> three more USB2.
>
> These function; but not all of them with my USB 2.0 Video
> grabber. One does. But video grabbing still fails with every
> single program I tried. Yes, it may well be the grabber that
> spoils the fun here ...
> But then, as I tried the supposed "USB2" connectors that Asus
> provides, I found out that they in fact do not work as 2.0:
> Warning balloon said that a Hi-speed USB device was being
> connected to a non-Highspeed Port ...
>
> It's the drivers, I reckon :-<
>
> Anyone any idea how best to start fixing all of this muddle?
>
> [Win XP(H)]
>
> JJ
> --
> m.a.i.l rot13 qrygn-fpbecvbavfNGtzk.qr

Run the CD that came with the board. It will give you the option to load
USB 2.0 drivers (NEC). Works fine on my P4T533-C. Check the built in ports
first once the drivers are installed. A lot of the front ports built into
cases will not handle USB 2.0.

--
Remove "john" from the address to reply.

Regards,
John
"JoeK" <freedomenduresnospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is the USB2 enabled and configured in BIOS?
>
> "Jon J Panury" <jjp.nospam@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > Bought two years ago.
> > Never really needed USB2 till now.
> >
> > Neither the pair of (of two pairs of) on-board USB2's nor the
> > additional USB2 header does the job.
> > As far as I can see, all jumper settings are according to USB2
> > enabling.
> >
> > The harware manager shows a lot of USB stuff, six "USB Root Hub"
> > devices, and things (NEC etc.).
> >
> > Got me an additional combi-card (adaptec AUA-3121 Duo Connect)
> > more than one year ago, featuring two IEEE 1394 Ports - and
> > three more USB2.
> >
> > These function; but not all of them with my USB 2.0 Video
> > grabber. One does. But video grabbing still fails with every
> > single program I tried. Yes, it may well be the grabber that
> > spoils the fun here ...
> > But then, as I tried the supposed "USB2" connectors that Asus
> > provides, I found out that they in fact do not work as 2.0:
> > Warning balloon said that a Hi-speed USB device was being
> > connected to a non-Highspeed Port ...
> >
> > It's the drivers, I reckon :-<
> >
> > Anyone any idea how best to start fixing all of this muddle?
> >
> > [Win XP(H)]
> >
> > JJ
> > --
> > m.a.i.l rot13 qrygn-fpbecvbavfNGtzk.qr

Paul schrieb:

[...]

>Now, I thought generic USB2 support was in SP1 for WinXP. Maybe
>if you uninstall the USB2 driver from the CD, and install
>Service Pack 1 from Microsoft, you'd have support for an
>isochronous device.

Done exactly that.
Working!!

The knack, it seems, was that there had to appear an "enhanced"
Controller *of the NEC sort*

As it did not work properly with that "asustec" enhanced
controller, it seems to me that the USB-PCI interface was the
problem here. Even my additional Adaptec Duo-Connect card is a
"PCI" device at the end of the day.

BTW I think it would have been wiser by Microsoft programmers to
show all these "USB Root Hub" entries (in the device manager)
hierarchically assigned to the respective NEC Controllers; I
played around a little, disabling controllers one by one looking
what happened. I found out that disabling any NEC USB Controller
makes one or more "USB Root Hub" entries dissappear and the
connected devices get out of function. This way, I could
allocate the respective Ports to the respective controller
entries.

But it all remains a little bit awkward to me ... :)

Thanks for advice.

JJ
--
m.a.i.l rot13 qrygn-fpbecvbavfNGtzk.qr