A7N8X-Deluxe "System failed CPU Test"

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi-

I just got home from being away for the weekend, and my computer had
been left on over the weekend.

I run a 2400+ Barton CPU on the A7n8x-deluxe. When I got home, my
screen was black and when I tried to wake it up, nothing happened, so
I rebooted.

Upon reboot, the system would not post, it kept saying "System failed
CPU test"

In addition, the motitor would not display anything and the hdd
activity LED doesnt' even turn on.

I should mention that my graphics card has been acting up lately, but
I have never had a problem like this.

I have had this computer with the same setup for over a year, and have
not changed any hardware lately.

Please, does anyone have any ideas what is wrong and how I may be able
to diagnose/fix the problem.

Thank you,

Eric

Eric, if you are getting a "post" and a "system failed CPU test" that
would lead me to believe the memory and video card are not the issue.

The CPU could have the wrong settings in the bios. For example if
your CPU was configured for a different speed, etc. Best thing to do
is boot to the bios if you can, I believe it's F1 or Del when the
system is booting, and restore to defaults. If you are unable to get
that far, remove all the cards from the system except the video card,
remove the system power, and remove the battery (looks like a quarter)
and move the jumper to "clear" the CMOS for 60 seconds. Check your
manual for details. Then restore the jumper to the correct setting,
reinstall the battery and try to power it on.

FYI, I also have the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard. The first one
would not work correctly, so I returned it. The second is working
flawlessly so far.

I would not go sticking another expensive CPU, (or a good friends CPU)
in the motherboard to test it. Perhaps a voltage regulator failed on
your motherboard, and send too much voltage to you CPU and cooked it.
Or perhaps your heat sink came loose, and the CPU fried. Buy the
cheapest CPU that will work on the board on eBay, to test with, or put
your CPU in a friends machine.

Good Luck, hopefully it's something in your settings. God Bless !

mitchd

Eric wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I just got home from being away for the weekend, and my computer had
> been left on over the weekend.
>
> I run a 2400+ Barton CPU on the A7n8x-deluxe. When I got home, my
> screen was black and when I tried to wake it up, nothing happened, so
> I rebooted.
>
> Upon reboot, the system would not post, it kept saying "System failed
> CPU test"
>
> In addition, the motitor would not display anything and the hdd
> activity LED doesnt' even turn on.
>
> I should mention that my graphics card has been acting up lately, but
> I have never had a problem like this.
>
> I have had this computer with the same setup for over a year, and have
> not changed any hardware lately.
>
> Please, does anyone have any ideas what is wrong and how I may be able
> to diagnose/fix the problem.

Check all of your fans, especially the PSU ones. I would suspect your PSU
is the failing component, switch the machine on and use a multimeter to test
the PSU. If you prefer, take the PSU out of the machine, disconnect it from
the motherboard. Now short pins 14 and 15, be sure to check the keying
before doing so, and then read the voltage between 12v and ground, you will
have to use a dummy load though if you do it this route. Preferably one
like your computer :)

Oh, if it's reading less then about 11.4V thats likely the problem. Also
check the 5V and 3.3V lines to be sure, they should also be ±5%.

Ben

uragonman

This one's a PSU problem.... your 5V and 3.3V is not within +/-5% range... to check it out - open the PSU and you'll probably find one (or more) bloated capacitors. Change your PSU with a higher wattage rating.

Hope this helps.

Uragonman