REQ Help: A7N8X Deluxe -- need to upgrade BIOS ... problem!

....I'm looking to get an AMD XP 3200+ running a 400 FSB ... however ... my floppy drive controller doesn't work on my A7N8X Deluxe. How do I get the BIOS **safely** updated without booting from a floppy disk?

Any help on getting me to the latest BIOS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Samantha

My system:

A7N8X Deluxe
AMD 2400+
1 gig 3200 DDR memory
52x CD R/RW
8x DVD R/RW drive
Asylum 5800 Ultra Geforce FX video card
3 answers Last reply
More about help a7n8x deluxe upgrade bios problem

    In article <10ek64tcmkafj56@corp.supernews.com>, "Samantha"
    <ask@if.you.want> wrote:

    > ...I'm looking to get an AMD XP 3200+ running a 400 FSB ... however ...
    > my floppy drive controller doesn't work on my A7N8X Deluxe. How do
    > I get the BIOS **safely** updated without booting from a floppy disk?
    >
    > Any help on getting me to the latest BIOS would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Samantha
    >

    > My system:
    >
    > A7N8X Deluxe
    > AMD 2400+
    > 1 gig 3200 DDR memory
    > 52x CD R/RW
    > 8x DVD R/RW drive
    > Asylum 5800 Ultra Geforce FX video card

    You could try preparing a bootable CD with DOS on it.
    Boot into DOS, and then use the command line form of the
    programming command "awdflash /qi aw0702.bin". Bootdisk.com
    has some files, if you don't happen to have a way to do
    that. Try searching Google for "DOS bootable CD" for hints
    on how to do it. (No, I've never tried it. If you succeed,
    please post a recipe :-)))

    The absolute safest way to do it, would be to contact
    badflash.com and get a replacement BIOS chip with the
    release of BIOS code already programmed in it. (Contact
    Asus tech support and see how much they charge for one
    - I think they send the chip by pony express, so you'll
    have to wait a while to get it from Asus.) To remove
    the chip from its socket, you can get a nice PLCC puller
    from Radio Shack for $10, or you can use a sharp pointed
    object and pry at alternate corners of the device until
    it pops out. I've removed and inserted a couple hundred
    of these, using a sharp pointed object for many of them,
    but the tool is a good investment for a beginner. After
    four or five insertions, the retention force on the socket
    is a lot less, and further operations take less force.

    A second device which is nice to have, is the ioss.com.tw
    "BIOS Savior". This is a device that plugs into the flash
    chip socket, and the device has a socket of its own, which
    is used to hold the original flash chip, plus there is a
    second flash chip soldered to the assembly. This makes a
    "dual flash" BIOS, with a convenient switch to select the
    A or the B chip. You can experiment with programming the
    second chip, while knowing the first chip is there to
    bail you out if there is trouble. You have to select the
    correct model, and these run around $20, which is a
    reasonable price and comparable to badflash.com shipping
    you just one chip. Of course, you still have to program
    it, but you won't kill the motherboard trying. Basically
    you boot with the "A" chip, flip the switch to "B", try
    to program the chip, and if it fails, just flip to "A"
    again and push the reset button on the computer. If the
    programming works, you leave the computer running from
    the "B" chip with the new BIOS image in it.

    Here is the chip puller from Radio Shack. There is an edge
    on each of the two tips of the puller, that fit underneath
    diagonally opposite corners of the chip. The idea is to pull
    the chip out equally on all sides as you pull the chip out
    of the socket. This way, the legs on the chip don't get
    bent and distorted by the removal operation. Reinsertion
    is an easy job for your thumb, again pushing equally on
    all sides until the chip is seated. You should make a drawing
    of the orientation of the chip and where the "dot" is
    located on the chip and the alignment "triangle" on the
    socket. Those are typical markings used, and may vary with
    hardware.

    (PLCC chip puller for changing a PLCC four sided flash chip)
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=276-2101

    HTH,
    Paul

    Personally I've always used 'Asus update' the windows based flash, worked
    100% of the times I've done it and even on my old board where the flash
    failed I just tried it again and it worked without having to reboot. The
    only time I've resorted to a dos boot disc was to update the firmware on my
    adaptec 19160 scsi controller.

    Steve

    Pug wrote:
    > Personally I've always used 'Asus update' the windows based flash, worked
    > 100% of the times I've done it and even on my old board where the flash
    > failed I just tried it again and it worked without having to reboot. The
    > only time I've resorted to a dos boot disc was to update the firmware on
    > my adaptec 19160 scsi controller.

    I wouldn't touch it with a Windows based utility.

    Did it once, wrote off the board. Never again will I trust Windows when I
    need it.

    Ben

Asus BIOS Floppy Disk Motherboards