Unkown error msg

May 24, 2004 9:07:53 AM

hi all,

If i leave my pc on overnight downloading, encrypyting, or
even if i leave it when im out the house and its idling, i
come back and my display is set back to 16bit colours in
640x480 with an error msg

"windows has recovered from a serious error,please save
all work and reboot"

the message is possibly longer.

Im not sure but i think it may be related to the graphics
card or its drivers,but on the other hand i have only
noticed this problem since i have installed windows xp
home.

my system spec:

AMD XP 2000+ - running @ 1.9ghz
Asus mobo A7nx i think
512mb pc2100 ddr ram
Creative sound blaster lives 5.1 digital sound card
Modular geforce 4 mx 440 128mb (was given to me free so
could'nt complain really :)  )
Scsi ide card with x2 seagate 80gb h/d's on primary channel
x1 40 gb maxtor hd
x1 40 gb seagate h/d

IBC DVD writer
Memorex cd - rw

My pc is modded, fans cold cathodes etc, unsure if it is a
power realted problem or if it is related to my graphics
card.

If any one can help id be most grateful

cheers

Jay

More about : unkown error msg

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 5:29:10 PM

Hi, Jay.

> AMD XP 2000+ - running @ 1.9ghz

Looks like you've overclocked the CPU somewhat from its normal 1.67GHz.
This may be the main cause of your problem.

> Asus mobo A7nx i think

Your problems seem to be more "hardware" than "windowsxp.hardware". My
guess is that they don't relate to Windows at all, but to your
mobo/CPU/graphics... Your best bet might be the Usenet newsgroup:
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

When I have problems with my EPoX mobo, I try the EPoX newsgroup. The gurus
there are much more likely to be able to solve this kind of hardware
problem.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA