Unkown error msg

hi all,

If i leave my pc on overnight downloading, encrypyting, or
even if i leave it when im out the house and its idling, i
come back and my display is set back to 16bit colours in
640x480 with an error msg

"windows has recovered from a serious error,please save
all work and reboot"

the message is possibly longer.

Im not sure but i think it may be related to the graphics
card or its drivers,but on the other hand i have only
noticed this problem since i have installed windows xp
home.

my system spec:

AMD XP 2000+ - running @ 1.9ghz
Asus mobo A7nx i think
512mb pc2100 ddr ram
Creative sound blaster lives 5.1 digital sound card
Modular geforce 4 mx 440 128mb (was given to me free so
could'nt complain really :) )
Scsi ide card with x2 seagate 80gb h/d's on primary channel
x1 40 gb maxtor hd
x1 40 gb seagate h/d

IBC DVD writer
Memorex cd - rw

My pc is modded, fans cold cathodes etc, unsure if it is a
power realted problem or if it is related to my graphics
card.

If any one can help id be most grateful

cheers

Jay
1 answer Last reply
More about unkown error

    Hi, Jay.

    > AMD XP 2000+ - running @ 1.9ghz

    Looks like you've overclocked the CPU somewhat from its normal 1.67GHz.
    This may be the main cause of your problem.

    > Asus mobo A7nx i think

    Your problems seem to be more "hardware" than "windowsxp.hardware". My
    guess is that they don't relate to Windows at all, but to your
    mobo/CPU/graphics... Your best bet might be the Usenet newsgroup:
    alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

    When I have problems with my EPoX mobo, I try the EPoX newsgroup. The gurus
    there are much more likely to be able to solve this kind of hardware
    problem.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Jay" <jay_harley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hi all,
    >
    > If i leave my pc on overnight downloading, encrypyting, or
    > even if i leave it when im out the house and its idling, i
    > come back and my display is set back to 16bit colours in
    > 640x480 with an error msg
    >
    > "windows has recovered from a serious error,please save
    > all work and reboot"
    >
    > the message is possibly longer.
    >
    > Im not sure but i think it may be related to the graphics
    > card or its drivers,but on the other hand i have only
    > noticed this problem since i have installed windows xp
    > home.
    >
    > my system spec:
    >
    > AMD XP 2000+ - running @ 1.9ghz
    > Asus mobo A7nx i think
    > 512mb pc2100 ddr ram
    > Creative sound blaster lives 5.1 digital sound card
    > Modular geforce 4 mx 440 128mb (was given to me free so
    > could'nt complain really :) )
    > Scsi ide card with x2 seagate 80gb h/d's on primary channel
    > x1 40 gb maxtor hd
    > x1 40 gb seagate h/d
    >
    > IBC DVD writer
    > Memorex cd - rw
    >

    > My pc is modded, fans cold cathodes etc, unsure if it is a
    > power realted problem or if it is related to my graphics
    > card.
    >
    > If any one can help id be most grateful
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jay