random failed memory test

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

A7N8X-D

I get random system failed memory test messages from the post voice, I say 1
out of 5-7, system seems to work fine otherwise. On occasion video games
will stutter on me and I have to reboot, that usually happens after the
system runs for a while, any idea what to check? I've ran one of those
memory testers before but never an extended period of time.

Petebert wrote:
> A7N8X-D
>
> I get random system failed memory test messages from the post voice,
> I say 1 out of 5-7, system seems to work fine otherwise. On occasion
> video games will stutter on me and I have to reboot, that usually
> happens after the system runs for a while, any idea what to check?
> I've ran one of those memory testers before but never an extended
> period of time.

Same here. I also do those short memtest and prime tests and no failures. I
don't want to let it run overnight, and when I think of it, why should I? If
BIOS can pick up an error after 1 second of testing, and memtest cannot find
it in ½ an hour, then which test is probably just plain wrong?

minotaur

Petebert wrote:

> A7N8X-D
>
> I get random system failed memory test messages from the post voice, I say 1
> out of 5-7, system seems to work fine otherwise. On occasion video games
> will stutter on me and I have to reboot, that usually happens after the
> system runs for a while, any idea what to check? I've ran one of those
> memory testers before but never an extended period of time.

Try testing the system with Memtest86 http://www.memtest.org/
and run it overnight.

Minotaur (8*

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

thanks I think I have that one but never ran it for more then 45 minutes,
I'll try it tonight