installing windows xp to sata hard drive

hi to eveyone,
i just bought a new computer system with new components
which includes among other things an asus a7v600-x
motherboard and a 80gb maxtor sata hard drive. i've been
trying to install windows xp professional to my system
but failed. during the installation process, windows
setup could not continue because it did not detect any
hard drive. after browsing a few forum i've learned that
i must load a third party scsi/sata driver before i could
proceed the installation process. so after doing some
searching i've downloaded silicon image's scsi/sata
driver. but after loading this file during the setup
process (after pressing f6), windows setup still can't
detect my hard drive. can someone help me to overcome
this problem. asus didn't supply any scsi/sata driver
disk with the motherboard package and this is the first
time i'm trying to install windows xp to a sata hard
drive. i would welcome any help. thank you.

The driver you need to put on a floppy disk is on the cd that came with the
motherboard.

"zahir muhammad" <zahir1@catcha.com> wrote in message
> hi to eveyone,
> i just bought a new computer system with new components
> which includes among other things an asus a7v600-x
> motherboard and a 80gb maxtor sata hard drive. i've been
> trying to install windows xp professional to my system
> but failed. during the installation process, windows
> setup could not continue because it did not detect any
> hard drive. after browsing a few forum i've learned that
> i must load a third party scsi/sata driver before i could
> proceed the installation process. so after doing some
> searching i've downloaded silicon image's scsi/sata
> driver. but after loading this file during the setup
> process (after pressing f6), windows setup still can't
> detect my hard drive. can someone help me to overcome
> this problem. asus didn't supply any scsi/sata driver
> disk with the motherboard package and this is the first
> time i'm trying to install windows xp to a sata hard
> drive. i would welcome any help. thank you.

In addition to the advice already given (i.e., get the driver set from the
ASUS CD and copy to a floppy and hit F6), check to see whether the SATA
controller is also a "RAID" controller. The one on my ASUS P4S8X is, and I
had to first create a "raid array", before I could load XP.

Just after the BIOS checks, look for a message about configuring the raid
contoller. Mine says something like hit CRTL-F to enter the FastTrack
setup. One in the setup, you probably do NOT want either of the default
options. Instead, choose something like "custom" or "special" and then
create a raid array with just one disk in it.

Save and exit the raid setup and reboot to verify that you have a raid array
of one.

Then, try loading XP, using the F6+floppy method of installing SATA drivers.

By the way, you can test the raid array, without installing XP, by using the
Maxdiag utilities that probably came with the hard drive, or are a free
download from Maxtor. If the array is correctly formed, the utilities
should see the disk, probably as unformatted. However, they can access it
for a quick mechanical integrity test even in this raw form.

You could also use the Maxblast rountines (on CD or download) to partition
and format the disk before installing XP. This is might be useful if you
want multiple partitions, or a FAT32 partition larger than 32 Gig. If you
want a single NTFS partition, then XP should do that for you as part of its
installation.

"zahir muhammad" <zahir1@catcha.com> wrote in message
> hi to eveyone,
> i just bought a new computer system with new components
> which includes among other things an asus a7v600-x
> motherboard and a 80gb maxtor sata hard drive. i've been
> trying to install windows xp professional to my system
> but failed. during the installation process, windows
> setup could not continue because it did not detect any
> hard drive. after browsing a few forum i've learned that
> i must load a third party scsi/sata driver before i could
> proceed the installation process. so after doing some
> searching i've downloaded silicon image's scsi/sata
> driver. but after loading this file during the setup
> process (after pressing f6), windows setup still can't
> detect my hard drive. can someone help me to overcome
> this problem. asus didn't supply any scsi/sata driver
> disk with the motherboard package and this is the first
> time i'm trying to install windows xp to a sata hard
> drive. i would welcome any help. thank you.

woody

Here's the driver you need.

http://tinyurl.com/2k2bw

Download VIARAID220d.zip , extract with zip utility, run "makedisk" to
create the floppy you need. During XP install, press F6 when prompted and
insert floppy when prompted.

Good luck,

Woody
"zahir muhammad" <zahir1@catcha.com> wrote in message
> hi to eveyone,
> i just bought a new computer system with new components
> which includes among other things an asus a7v600-x
> motherboard and a 80gb maxtor sata hard drive. i've been
> trying to install windows xp professional to my system
> but failed. during the installation process, windows
> setup could not continue because it did not detect any
> hard drive. after browsing a few forum i've learned that
> i must load a third party scsi/sata driver before i could
> proceed the installation process. so after doing some
> searching i've downloaded silicon image's scsi/sata
> driver. but after loading this file during the setup
> process (after pressing f6), windows setup still can't
> detect my hard drive. can someone help me to overcome
> this problem. asus didn't supply any scsi/sata driver
> disk with the motherboard package and this is the first
> time i'm trying to install windows xp to a sata hard
> drive. i would welcome any help. thank you.

"zahir muhammad" asked politely
> hi to eveyone,
> i just bought a new computer system with new components
> which includes among other things an asus a7v600-x
> motherboard and a 80gb maxtor sata hard drive. i've been
> trying to install windows xp professional to my system
> but failed. during the installation process, windows
> setup could not continue because it did not detect any
> hard drive. after browsing a few forum i've learned that
> i must load a third party scsi/sata driver before i could
> proceed the installation process. so after doing some
> searching i've downloaded silicon image's scsi/sata
> driver. but after loading this file during the setup
> process (after pressing f6), windows setup still can't
> detect my hard drive. can someone help me to overcome
> this problem. asus didn't supply any scsi/sata driver
> disk with the motherboard package and this is the first
> time i'm trying to install windows xp to a sata hard
> drive. i would welcome any help. thank you.

Hello Zahir

Why did you attempt to use the Silicon Image drivers? That would only be
appropriate if your mainboard had a Silicon Image controller - which it
doesn't.

As it is your mainboard actually uses a VIA VT8237 controller fully
integrated in the South bridge which, if I'm correct, utilizes standard IDE
drivers included on the XP installation disk. This means that you should
NOT need to introduce any third-party drivers during installation (if you
needed to use the F6 method they would need to be VIA drivers anyway to suit
the VIA controller).

So why can't the installation see the SATA disk?

1. Check the cables are connected correctly.

2. Check you have the appropriate BIOS settings - your mainboard manual
would normally help but Asus are never terribly well written - from what I
can tell you may need to set "Onboard ATA Boot ROM" to Enabled in the I/O
device menu see page 2-21 and possibly you may also need to set the "Onboard
ATA device first" to Yes in PCI Configuration menu - see page 2-22.

3. If this doesn't clear it up check the latest version of the BIOS for your
mainboard from the Asus website - version 1003 includes an update to the
SATA boot ROM.

Hope that helps and post an update when you can
Pete

Looks like I was premature in believing VIA had *native* support for SATA
with this controller.

It would seem that you DO need to use the F6 method. But you will need to
use the VIA drivers found on your Asus CD.

On the CD find the folder \drivers\VIARAID\DriverDisk and copy ALL the files
from this folder onto a floppy disk.

Use this with the F6 method to introduce the necessary drivers. You should
get a list of possible drivers to use. I believe the one you want will be
named Via SATA for XP.

Check the BIOS settings and cables as well and if necessary try the BIOS
update

Hope that helps this time
Pete

Hi I have a problem along the same lines. I am attempting to make my own
computer and have got to installing the operating system which works by
pressing F6 on the setup. However in the POST message when it says
Detecting IDE it says no drives attached to the Fasttrack controller.
The motherboard is an ASUS Socket 939 for AMD CPU, System bus 2000
MT/s
Dual channel DDR400 A8V Deluxe

--
mollovg
mollovg's Profile: http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1475

Try configuring the SATA drive in the BIOS first,advanced chipset features,
integrated peripherals,on chip serial ATA,set to enhanced or combined mode,
set BIOS for SATA or hd-1st boot device,then enable bootable add-in device.
All 3 need to be set,or similiar settings,then press F6 for drivers from
floppy
when prompted,when booting to xp cd.

"unknown" wrote:

dl

You F6 to install sata/raid drivers from floppy
You did this?

"mollovg" <mollovg.1tasiy@news.nospam.local> wrote in message

> Hi I have a problem along the same lines. I am attempting to make my own
> computer and have got to installing the operating system which works by
> pressing F6 on the setup. However in the POST message when it says
> Detecting IDE it says no drives attached to the Fasttrack controller.
> The motherboard is an ASUS Socket 939 for AMD CPU, System bus 2000
> MT/s
> Dual channel DDR400 A8V Deluxe
>

> --
> mollovg
> mollovg's Profile:
http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/member.phtml?userid=1475
> View this thread:
http://extremetechsupport.com/forum/showthread.phtml?t=13831

Andrew

> Try configuring the SATA drive in the BIOS first,advanced chipset
> features,
> integrated peripherals,on chip serial ATA,set to enhanced or combined
> mode,
> set BIOS for SATA or hd-1st boot device,then enable bootable add-in
> device.
> All 3 need to be set,or similiar settings,then press F6 for drivers from
> floppy
> when prompted,when booting to xp cd.
>
> "unknown" wrote:

You need to be sure that you have connected the SATA drives to the correct
SATA sockets on the motherboard. The red ones are for the Promise
controller whilst the black ones for the VT8237 Southbridge SATA controller.
It works best if you connect them to the VT8237 SATA connectors and then
disable the Promise controller in the BIOS. (this is because the Promise
controller is very slow at polling the sockets for connected devices and
causes a bit of a delay in booting; it will poll for conencted devices every
boot unless disabled in the BIOS). For a single non raid SATA drive or 2
SATA drives in a RAID aray there is no issue with this. The only advantage
to using the Promise controller is the ability to have 4 drives in a RAID
0+1 configuation.

When XP starts to install press F6 when prompted and this will allow you to
install the SATA drivres from a floppy later on in the installation.

Andy