How to stop interrupted install file on every boot

May 24, 2004 11:20:20 AM

I interrupted a install for a new scanner, by canceling the procedure via
the cancel button. Since then, every time I boot, I get this warning
message, and I have to click OK to proceed with the boot up of my computer.
I'm using Win XP Home. Is there a start-up area, where I can just delete the
install file. I'm afraid to go through with the install, because it is for a
different operation procedure, Win 98 instead of my Win XP . Your help is
appreciated....Peter
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 5:12:23 PM

Hi, Peter.

Does the scanner appear in Device Manager? If it does, can you just
Uninstall it from there? Or, better yet, Update the driver, supplying the
WinXP driver instead of the Win98 driver?

Installing the Win98 driver should do no harm, except for using up a little
bit of disk space. The scanner almost certainly won't work with that
driver, but it should do no harm. Then you could uninstall it to recover
that. It won't "break your computer" or anything like that.

You DO have WinXP drivers for that scanner, don't you? If they are not on a
floppy or CD in the box with the scanner then you should be able to download
them from the scanner manufacturer's website. Many drivers are on the WinXP
CD-ROM, but they may not be the latest version.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX