CUV4X-E won't boot with ATI Radeon 9200

infoseeker

Hi,

Can someone help me?

I replaced my Matrox G450 AGP card with ATI Radeon 9200 AGP card.

Installed it and it will not boot - not 100% read on. It gave POST
Beeps and the manual says it can't find the video card or bad video
memory.

The card works on a P4P800 board and hence is not a faulty unit.

When I could get CUV4X to boot up without the post beeps, I could
configure XP correctly. But when I restarted it, the POST BEEP came
back.

In one instance, BSOD while in XP.

In a number of occasions, I managed to boot up without the post beep
but when I restarted the machine without touching or changing
anything, it gives out the POST Beeps and fails to boot up.

Any idea?

InfoSeeker.

Paul

Splendid

In article <6285aa7d.0407070325.70bca7fc@posting.google.com>,
BRoger_mbox20@hotmail.com (InfoSeeker) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone help me?
>
> I replaced my Matrox G450 AGP card with ATI Radeon 9200 AGP card.
>
> Installed it and it will not boot - not 100% read on. It gave POST
> Beeps and the manual says it can't find the video card or bad video
> memory.
>
> The card works on a P4P800 board and hence is not a faulty unit.
>
> When I could get CUV4X to boot up without the post beeps, I could
> configure XP correctly. But when I restarted it, the POST BEEP came
> back.
>
> In one instance, BSOD while in XP.
>
> In a number of occasions, I managed to boot up without the post beep
> but when I restarted the machine without touching or changing
> anything, it gives out the POST Beeps and fails to boot up.
>
> Any idea?
>
> InfoSeeker.

Set AGP to 2X in the BIOS ? I don't see a Fast Write setting in
the BIOS, but if it had one of those, disable it as well.

You could also try installing a later Via 4in1 driver. I don't
know if support for old hardware stopped at a particular release
or not. The viaarena.com web site has Via's official drivers.

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=403

With some of these boards, a stable combo of video card and
motherboard is worth more than a super-fast, crashing, new
video card.

With the ATI Catalyst driver, the ones I've used, ignore the
AGP setting in the BIOS. When you set the AGP to 2X in the BIOS,
the idea is, the problems at POST should stop. But, when you
get into Windows, you'll have to find the SmartGART tab in the
control panel, and set AGP to 2X in there as well. Otherwise,
SmartGART runs the hardware as fast as the hardware will allow,
and the results are not always stable. Unlike the name, it
isn't very smart - it should honor the BIOS setting.

Also, you have to try different Catalyst drivers. For example,
the ATI9800pro I've got, crashed with the drivers off the driver
CD that came with the product. Downloading new Catalyst drivers
from the ATI site fixed everything up for me.

If it was me, I'd try AGP set to 2X, and if the situation in
POST doesn't change, I don't think I'd waste my time playing
the driver game, because the hardware combo is probably doomed.

HTH,
Paul

infoseeker

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in message news:<nospam-0707041355460001@192.168.1.177>...
> In article <6285aa7d.0407070325.70bca7fc@posting.google.com>,
> BRoger_mbox20@hotmail.com (InfoSeeker) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone help me?
> >
> > I replaced my Matrox G450 AGP card with ATI Radeon 9200 AGP card.
> >
> > Installed it and it will not boot - not 100% read on. It gave POST
> > Beeps and the manual says it can't find the video card or bad video
> > memory.
> >
> > The card works on a P4P800 board and hence is not a faulty unit.
> >
> > When I could get CUV4X to boot up without the post beeps, I could
> > configure XP correctly. But when I restarted it, the POST BEEP came
> > back.
> >
> > In one instance, BSOD while in XP.
> >
> > In a number of occasions, I managed to boot up without the post beep
> > but when I restarted the machine without touching or changing
> > anything, it gives out the POST Beeps and fails to boot up.
> >
> > Any idea?
> >
> > InfoSeeker.
>
> Set AGP to 2X in the BIOS ? I don't see a Fast Write setting in
> the BIOS, but if it had one of those, disable it as well.
>
> You could also try installing a later Via 4in1 driver. I don't
> know if support for old hardware stopped at a particular release
> or not. The viaarena.com web site has Via's official drivers.
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=403
Well I have to get it to boot up reliably first before worrying about
this one. But I will keep that in mind.

> With some of these boards, a stable combo of video card and
> motherboard is worth more than a super-fast, crashing, new
> video card.
True. But Matrox G450 does not have Direct3D and that Lord of the Ring
only works on ATI or GeForce cards. Hence the upgrade.

The one in my P4P800 works nicely.

> With the ATI Catalyst driver, the ones I've used, ignore the
> AGP setting in the BIOS. When you set the AGP to 2X in the BIOS,
> the idea is, the problems at POST should stop. But, when you
> get into Windows, you'll have to find the SmartGART tab in the
> control panel, and set AGP to 2X in there as well. Otherwise,
> SmartGART runs the hardware as fast as the hardware will allow,
> and the results are not always stable. Unlike the name, it
> isn't very smart - it should honor the BIOS setting.
I will give this a try but I am not too sure if this will work. I have
read somewhere where someone claimed 4X on this board is a bit dodgy.

It was set on 1X initially but then again the Radeon is only
compatible with 2/4/8X and hence this may have a chance and I have not
tried that.

> Also, you have to try different Catalyst drivers. For example,
> the ATI9800pro I've got, crashed with the drivers off the driver
> CD that came with the product. Downloading new Catalyst drivers
> from the ATI site fixed everything up for me.
Will keep that in mind once I can get it to fire up.

> If it was me, I'd try AGP set to 2X, and if the situation in
> POST doesn't change, I don't think I'd waste my time playing
> the driver game, because the hardware combo is probably doomed.
Thanks for the advice.

On 8 Jul 2004 06:04:06 -0700, InfoSeeker wrote:

>True. But Matrox G450 does not have Direct3D and that Lord of the Ring
>only works on ATI or GeForce cards. Hence the upgrade.

Would appreciate to hear how things go further as I was planning the
same move for the same reason. Several newer games won't work with the
Matrox card.

--
TIA,
Regards,

Paul wrote in message ...
>In article <6285aa7d.0407070325.70bca7fc@posting.google.com>,
>BRoger_mbox20@hotmail.com (InfoSeeker) wrote:
>Set AGP to 2X in the BIOS ? I don't see a Fast Write setting in
>the BIOS, but if it had one of those, disable it as well.

I don't see how he can do that without a video card...
Or hassle with former card, then new than formwe to check twice..
Makes no sense.

IMHO, the only solution is plain simple CLEAR THE CMOS and reboot.
There is no reason for the CUVX not to recognize a working video card.

(SNIP)
>Also, you have to try different Catalyst drivers. For example,
>the ATI9800pro I've got, crashed with the drivers off the driver
>CD that came with the product. Downloading new Catalyst drivers
>from the ATI site fixed everything up for me.

I've got a P4P800EDelux with this card; Radeon 9800Pro.
I've used the Catalyst from the CD and never had a glitch.
Even my FSB is overclocked.
AGP 8x enabled; Apperture 64MB, Fastwrite ON so on an so forth.
Runned Unreal Tourney 4, and a number of 3D games and demos,
extensively. Bliss.
Do I care for new drivers ?.. Not; Unless community acknowledge a
serious performance boost, or necessary fix or welcomed feature.
Same with BIOS same with everything.

>If it was me, I'd try AGP set to 2X, and if the situation in
>POST doesn't change, I don't think I'd waste my time playing
>the driver game, because the hardware combo is probably doomed.

Every Video card must support VGA BIOS. Nothing is doomed.
I own a CUV4X board too, and it's still fullfulling its purpose.

Cheers.