Asus P4P800-E not compatible with Promise Ultra66 IDE card?

Hunter

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

I just got an Asus P4P800-E. Installed Windows XP Pro, my ATI
graphics card and
sound card. When I installed my Promise Ultra66 IDE controller card
so that I could access my extra hard drives, the on-board Ethernet NIC
stopped working. A little investigation shows that the Promise and
the Marvell Ethernet chip share IRQ 22. Would this disable the
ethernet adapter? Windows claims that "this device is working
properly" but it ain't!

Questions:
1. Is there some way to get the Marvell to share the IRQ?
2. If not, is there some way to get the Promise card to move its IRQ?
The Promise web site has *no* documentation on this older card.
3. If I can't fix the above, does anyone have a recommendation on an
IDE card that will play nice?

Thanks.

Hunter

Paul

Splendid

In article <402b4098.0407071122.d1202fe@posting.google.com>,
hscales@austin.rr.com (Hunter) wrote:

> I just got an Asus P4P800-E. Installed Windows XP Pro, my ATI
> graphics card and
> sound card. When I installed my Promise Ultra66 IDE controller card
> so that I could access my extra hard drives, the on-board Ethernet NIC
> stopped working. A little investigation shows that the Promise and
> the Marvell Ethernet chip share IRQ 22. Would this disable the
> ethernet adapter? Windows claims that "this device is working
> properly" but it ain't!
>
> Questions:
> 1. Is there some way to get the Marvell to share the IRQ?
> 2. If not, is there some way to get the Promise card to move its IRQ?
> The Promise web site has *no* documentation on this older card.
> 3. If I can't fix the above, does anyone have a recommendation on an
> IDE card that will play nice?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hunter

Is the Promise card plugged into PCI Slot 2 ? The interrupt
table in the manual, shows the Marvell Ethernet interrupt is
wired to the same signal as is used in Slot 2. Avoiding Slot 2
might be a work around.

What your symptoms could mean, is the drivers for the two
pieces of hardware don't like to share IRQs. A driver update
could help, you never know.

HTH,
Paul

>I just got an Asus P4P800-E. Installed Windows XP Pro, my ATI
>graphics card and
>sound card. When I installed my Promise Ultra66 IDE controller card
>so that I could access my extra hard drives, the on-board Ethernet NIC
>stopped working. A little investigation shows that the Promise and
>the Marvell Ethernet chip share IRQ 22. Would this disable the
>ethernet adapter? Windows claims that "this device is working
>properly" but it ain't!
>
>Questions:
>1. Is there some way to get the Marvell to share the IRQ?
>2. If not, is there some way to get the Promise card to move its IRQ?
>The Promise web site has *no* documentation on this older card.
>3. If I can't fix the above, does anyone have a recommendation on an
>IDE card that will play nice?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Hunter

There is a bios update for the promise card. My promise ultra 66 would not work
either, until I did the bios update. Everything is just fine on my P4c800
deluxe

Don

Hunter

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003

Thanks for the feedback Don. I tried to get a driver and BIOS update
from Promise. They only have drivers for Win 95/98, ME, 2000 and NT.
Nothing for Windows XP. I tried using the driver for 2000 and NT
using the "Update driver->Install from a list or specific location"
and pointing it the the driver folder, but I get this error:

"Cannot continue the Hardware update wizard.
The Wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the
software you currently have installed."

which I suppose means that it does not recognize the .inf format of
the installer.

How did you update the driver for Windows XP? Or did you intstall the
driver update and just went ahead and installed the BIOS update? I
was afraid to do that since the README says: "you MUST install the
driver update first.
However, the driver that Windows is currently using is 5.1.2600.1106
dated july 1, 2001. This may be more up to date than the drivers on
the Promise site.

I must admit I am confused. This card worked flawlessly with this
driver on my old VIA motherboard.

Thanks for any help.

Hunter

dwest1023@aol.com (DWest1023) wrote in message news:<20040707182553.12055.00001540@mb-m01.aol.com>...
> >I just got an Asus P4P800-E. Installed Windows XP Pro, my ATI
> >graphics card and
> >sound card. When I installed my Promise Ultra66 IDE controller card
> >so that I could access my extra hard drives, the on-board Ethernet NIC
> >stopped working. A little investigation shows that the Promise and
> >the Marvell Ethernet chip share IRQ 22. Would this disable the
> >ethernet adapter? Windows claims that "this device is working
> >properly" but it ain't!
> >
> >Questions:
> >1. Is there some way to get the Marvell to share the IRQ?
> >2. If not, is there some way to get the Promise card to move its IRQ?
> >The Promise web site has *no* documentation on this older card.
> >3. If I can't fix the above, does anyone have a recommendation on an
> >IDE card that will play nice?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Hunter
> >

> There is a bios update for the promise card. My promise ultra 66 would not work
> either, until I did the bios update. Everything is just fine on my P4c800
> deluxe
>

> Don

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <402b4098.0407090643.431a2570@posting.google.com>, hscales@austin.rr.com (Hunter) wrote:
>Thanks for the feedback Don. I tried to get a driver and BIOS update
>from Promise. They only have drivers for Win 95/98, ME, 2000 and NT.
>Nothing for Windows XP. I tried using the driver for 2000 and NT
>using the "Update driver->Install from a list or specific location"
>and pointing it the the driver folder, but I get this error:

The drivers for the Promise 66 card is built into XP

but

The driver set for the Ultra100 card has the updated Ultra133 and Ultra66
drivers included

http://www.promise.com/support/file/driver/3-079-03.zip