Tricks to jumpstart generic ink carts?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

I have an Epson Stylus CX-5200 and thought I'd try reloadable replacement
ink carts, since I've had great success with reloadables on an older Canon
Bubblejet. I got the carts, along with refill ink and a chip resetter from a
company called I-Matek off eBay. They worked great when I first loaded them.
Made several passes printing some pretty involved pics, to my eye they
looked just as good as the stock Epson ink.

However, about a week later, I tried to print something and get nothing.
Tried several head cleaning passes.

Any suggestions how to remedy this other than buying the much pricier Epson
carts?

Thanks!
27 answers Last reply
More about tricks jumpstart generic carts
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "Doc" <docsavage20@_remove_this_to_reply_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Epson Stylus CX-5200 and thought I'd try reloadable replacement
    > ink carts, since I've had great success with reloadables on an older Canon
    > Bubblejet. I got the carts, along with refill ink and a chip resetter from
    > company called I-Matek off eBay. They worked great when I first loaded
    them.
    > Made several passes printing some pretty involved pics, to my eye they
    > looked just as good as the stock Epson ink.
    >
    > However, about a week later, I tried to print something and get nothing.
    > Tried several head cleaning passes.
    >
    > Any suggestions how to remedy this other than buying the much pricier
    Epson
    > carts?
    >
    > Thanks

    Clean heads on cart with cleaning solution then put cart in TWO plastic bags
    one inside the other (heads down). Then twirl it round your head as fast as
    possible to use centrifugal force to move ink towards the heads. Check every
    now and then to see if any ink is coming out of the heads.

    Works for me.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    Doesn't it seem just a bit too much to save a few $$$ to twirl carts over
    your head? BTW is this twirling ritual done at midnight under a full moon
    while dancing naked around a fire?

    Oh and one last thing...is it better to twirl the carts CW or CCW? LOL!!!

    If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    lessons...LOL!!!

    --

    - Charlie
    Looking for blues harp player in Mississippi for guitar/harp duo

    ..

    In article <c66876$89nu8$1@ID-226528.news.uni-berlin.de>,
    charlie@excite.com says...

    > Oh and one last thing...is it better to twirl the carts CW or CCW? LOL!!!

    Depends on whether you're right or left handed. ;-)

    Jerry Maple
    General Dynamics C4 Systems
    Scottsdale, AZ
  4. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> wrote in message

    > If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    > getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    > lessons...LOL!!!

    Actually, as it turns out, the problem was that I neglected to remove the
    seals from the top (that are marked "remove"), which I assume cover over a
    vent hole. Musta created a vacuum.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    Good luck ....thx for the update..this also would have not happened with
    factory carts...

    Gee I bet you saved a bundle eh on a $30 factory cart???

    --

    > "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    > > getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    > > lessons...LOL!!!
    >
    > Actually, as it turns out, the problem was that I neglected to remove the
    > seals from the top (that are marked "remove"), which I assume cover over a
    > vent hole. Musta created a vacuum.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    > Good luck ....thx for the update..this also would have not happened with
    > factory carts...
    >
    > Gee I bet you saved a bundle eh on a $30 factory cart???

    Color printer requires 4 carts. Epson carts for this particular printer are
    approx $12 each. About $50 when you include tax to fill up a $120 printer
    once.

    For 4 replacement carts each of which has a full load of ink, plus 4 bottles
    of refill ink & chip resetter I paid right at $70 including S&H, which sets
    me up for probably 6 or 8 refills, probably at least a couple of years worth
    of printing unless I start doing some heavy duty printing. Next time, if the
    printer outlives the ink supply, all I have to buy is ink.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    > Refilling carts is never a good deal unless you ask someone that sells
    them.

    8 refills @ $50 = $400 (assuming the price doesn't go up)

    -vs-

    8 refills for $70
    -------------------------
    A savings of $330. On ONE set of refills. (The cost of almost 3 printers)

    You have an odd sense of economics.

    "LOL" if it makes you feel superior and all-knowing. I'll take the $330.

    Later.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> schreef in bericht

    > "Doc" <docsavage20@_remove_this_to_reply_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have an Epson Stylus CX-5200 and thought I'd try reloadable
    replacement
    > > ink carts, since I've had great success with reloadables on an older
    Canon
    > > Bubblejet. I got the carts, along with refill ink and a chip resetter
    from
    > > company called I-Matek off eBay. They worked great when I first loaded
    > them.
    > > Made several passes printing some pretty involved pics, to my eye they
    > > looked just as good as the stock Epson ink.
    > >
    > > However, about a week later, I tried to print something and get nothing.
    > > Tried several head cleaning passes.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions how to remedy this other than buying the much pricier
    > Epson
    > > carts?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Clean heads on cart with cleaning solution then put cart in TWO plastic
    bags
    > one inside the other (heads down). Then twirl it round your head as fast
    as
    > possible to use centrifugal force to move ink towards the heads. Check
    every
    > now and then to see if any ink is coming out of the heads.

    Yes, and after the twirling around don't forget to check your wallpaper :-))

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os
  9. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    Are you by any chance a cartridge supplier?

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|
    | \/ |@rk
    \../
    \/os

    "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> schreef in bericht
    > Doesn't it seem just a bit too much to save a few $$$ to twirl carts over
    > your head? BTW is this twirling ritual done at midnight under a full moon
    > while dancing naked around a fire?
    >
    > Oh and one last thing...is it better to twirl the carts CW or CCW?
    LOL!!!

    > If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    > getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    > lessons...LOL!!!
    >
    > --
    >
    > - Charlie
    > Looking for blues harp player in Mississippi for guitar/harp duo
    > acoustic-blues-duo@direcway.com
    >
    > .
    >

    > "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Doc" <docsavage20@_remove_this_to_reply_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have an Epson Stylus CX-5200 and thought I'd try reloadable
    > replacement
    > > > ink carts, since I've had great success with reloadables on an older
    > Canon
    > > > Bubblejet. I got the carts, along with refill ink and a chip resetter
    > from
    > > > company called I-Matek off eBay. They worked great when I first loaded
    > > them.
    > > > Made several passes printing some pretty involved pics, to my eye they
    > > > looked just as good as the stock Epson ink.
    > > >
    > > > However, about a week later, I tried to print something and get
    nothing.
    > > > Tried several head cleaning passes.
    > > >
    > > > Any suggestions how to remedy this other than buying the much pricier
    > > Epson
    > > > carts?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Clean heads on cart with cleaning solution then put cart in TWO plastic
    > bags
    > > one inside the other (heads down). Then twirl it round your head as fast
    > as
    > > possible to use centrifugal force to move ink towards the heads. Check
    > every
    > > now and then to see if any ink is coming out of the heads.
    > >
    > > Works for me.

  10. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    Linea Recta wrote:

    >"Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> schreef in bericht
    >> If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    >> getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    >> lessons...LOL!!!
    >
    >Are you by any chance a cartridge supplier?

    Took the words out of my mouth...
  11. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    From what they charge for the cartridges, they could afford to give away the printers.

    "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message news:e7SdnRn1_o-AUhvdRVn-ig@golden.net...
    > Linea Recta wrote:
    >
    > >"Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> schreef in bericht
    > >> If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    > >> getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    > >> lessons...LOL!!!
    > >
    > >Are you by any chance a cartridge supplier?
    >
    > Took the words out of my mouth...
  12. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "Vint@ge" <vint@ge.cars> wrote in message

    > From what they charge for the cartridges, they could afford to give away
    the printers.

    Some printer manufacturers just about do. My daughter bought a cheapie for
    her kids, paid $39. It came with a full set of cartridges, one black and
    one color. The replacement cartridges cost $61 ($29 blk, $32 color). Geez,
    for that, it'd be cheaper to buy a brand new printer every time she needs
    ink!

    --

    Jo
    PSP 8 Private Beta Tester

    Charlie wrote:
    > Doesn't it seem just a bit too much to save a few $$$ to twirl carts over
    > your head? BTW is this twirling ritual done at midnight under a full moon
    > while dancing naked around a fire?
    >
    > Oh and one last thing...is it better to twirl the carts CW or CCW? LOL!!!
    >
    > If this poor guy had just used factory carts he'd be printing now and
    > getting his print work done instead of posting and receiving dance
    > lessons...LOL!!!

    Charlie, tell him if he didn't waste his money on Paint Shop Pro, he
    would have $$$ to purchase decent cartridges!

    :-)

    Uni

  14. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "Vint@ge" <vint@ge.cars> wrote in message
    > From what they charge for the cartridges, they could afford to give away
    the printers.

    I got my HP 930c with a full price rebate.

    > "Bill" <bill@c.a> wrote in message
    > > Linea Recta wrote:
    > >
    > > >"Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> schreef in bericht
    > > >
    > > >Are you by any chance a cartridge supplier?
    > >
    > > Took the words out of my mouth...

  15. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:39:33 -0500, "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> wrote:

    >The price
    <whatever>

    Please troll off
  16. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    JoAnn wrote:
    > "Vint@ge" <vint@ge.cars> wrote in message
    >
    >> From what they charge for the cartridges, they could afford to give
    >> away the printers.
    >

    > Some printer manufacturers just about do. My daughter bought a
    > cheapie for her kids, paid $39. It came with a full set of
    > cartridges, one black and one color. The replacement cartridges cost
    > $61 ($29 blk, $32 color). Geez, for that, it'd be cheaper to buy a
    > brand new printer every time she needs ink!

    Except the cartridges supplied with the new printer are usually contain
    a fraction of the ink that a new cartridge does. It really is a sorry
    little scam, but I don't know what can be done about it. I found
    refilling cartridges a filthy waste. Buying another, much cheaper brand
    is a real lottery, but if you can find one that works well for you is
    probably the best solution.
    In the last 5 or 10 years, owning a computer has moved from an expensive
    hobby, to an almost essential part of life. Most of the hardware in that
    time has improved in speed and usability by orders of magnitude, and at
    the same time the price has drop to a tiny fraction of its cost just a
    few years ago. This is a reflection of the economies of scale... it is
    far more costly to produce each item that sells a few thousand than it
    is to manufacture an item that sells millions.
    There are however 2 areas of computers that don't reflect this trend...
    printer ink and software. While many other items are sold at a price
    that reflects the reduced cost of production, these are sold on the
    basis of what the traffic will bear. And of these 2... even in a
    marketplace where a minor cosmetic update of some office software can be
    sold for hundreds of dollars, the single biggest case of corporate greed
    in the entire pantheon of computing is printer ink. A teaspoon of dye in
    a gimcrack little plastic box is worth no more than a few cents. Much of
    the extra expense of manufacturing them is the cost of making them hard
    to copy. Even then they should be $5 a dozen. The current prices are
    just gouging and greed... and they are pretty much unavoidable.

    Oh Well

    Tim
  17. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    The numbers are not the whole story....especially if all that "savings"
    means a whole lot of trouble and hassle ...

    How about if the damn refills even work or not eh???

    What good is any savings if you can't print trouble-free -exactly the same-
    as you can with factory carts?

    --

    > "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Refilling carts is never a good deal unless you ask someone that sells
    > them.
    >
    > 8 refills @ $50 = $400 (assuming the price doesn't go up)
    >
    > -vs-
    >
    > 8 refills for $70
    > -------------------------
    > A savings of $330. On ONE set of refills. (The cost of almost 3 printers)
    >
    > You have an odd sense of economics.
    >
    > "LOL" if it makes you feel superior and all-knowing. I'll take the $330.
    >
    > Later.

  18. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "Uni" <no.email@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

    > Yeah, so, why isn't every HP printer owner using your Brand-X
    > cartridges??!!!

    I'm using HP carts with third party ink.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    > I don't like paying $35 for $.10 worth of ink but hey I want smooth
    trouble
    > free printing and for me HP carts is all I'll use.

    I'm using HP carts and refilling them myself. I very rarely have a problem -
    no more frequency than when I used new HP carts.

    The only real problem is the risk of making a mess :-)
  20. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    On my very old Cannon black BJ200e printer, I refilled the carts (BJ-06 I
    think) dozen of times with success each time.

    I refilled the black cart on my 895Cse many times with success too, but
    always bought the color cart as these cartridges were fairly large and
    lasted a long time for my useage.

    Now, I have a HP 7660 Photosmart, and filled the black cart OK, and the
    color cart I blocked a cyan nozzle some how, but it is very acceptable until
    I get to buy another new one sometime.

    This definitely is a savings in $$.

    --
    Dave C.

    c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et

    Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

    > "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I don't like paying $35 for $.10 worth of ink but hey I want smooth
    > trouble
    > > free printing and for me HP carts is all I'll use.
    >
    > I'm using HP carts and refilling them myself. I very rarely have a
    problem -
    > no more frequency than when I used new HP carts.
    >
    > The only real problem is the risk of making a mess :-)

  21. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "Marvin Margoshes" <physnospamchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

    > When I used to refill my HP cartridges, I found that they were unreliable
    > after about 4 cycles. The electrical contacts didn't work well anymore.

    I find the HP carts last about two years before some thing goes wrong. The
    Black I refill through the heads but the colour is refilled by needle and
    syringe. Two of us share the printer which is used every day.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:07:26 -0500, "Charlie" <charlie@excite.com>
    wrote:

    >Well that is what you say....most everyone that has tried refilling or
    >generic carts from Staples or Walmart has regretted it.
    >
    >I don't like paying $35 for $.10 worth of ink but hey I want smooth trouble
    >free printing and for me HP carts is all I'll use.

    I have been using HP cartridges which I have refilled numerous times.
    The inks I use are specific to the particular cartridge. I don't
    expect generic inks to work when there are different inks available
    for each cartridge type. I have recently bought a refurbished HP 5160
    which has more memory and capability than my existing printer as it
    uses the same ink to refill the cartridges as the old one

    DT
  23. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:22:37 GMT, "Tim"
    <timmorr64@XremoveXhotmail.com> wrote:

    >JoAnn wrote:
    >> "Vint@ge" <vint@ge.cars> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> From what they charge for the cartridges, they could afford to give
    >>> away the printers.
    >>

    >> Some printer manufacturers just about do. My daughter bought a
    >> cheapie for her kids, paid $39. It came with a full set of
    >> cartridges, one black and one color. The replacement cartridges cost
    >> $61 ($29 blk, $32 color). Geez, for that, it'd be cheaper to buy a
    >> brand new printer every time she needs ink!
    >
    >Except the cartridges supplied with the new printer are usually contain
    >a fraction of the ink that a new cartridge does. It really is a sorry
    >little scam, but I don't know what can be done about it. I found
    >refilling cartridges a filthy waste. Buying another, much cheaper brand
    >is a real lottery, but if you can find one that works well for you is
    >probably the best solution.
    >In the last 5 or 10 years, owning a computer has moved from an expensive
    >hobby, to an almost essential part of life. Most of the hardware in that
    >time has improved in speed and usability by orders of magnitude, and at
    >the same time the price has drop to a tiny fraction of its cost just a
    >few years ago. This is a reflection of the economies of scale... it is
    >far more costly to produce each item that sells a few thousand than it
    >is to manufacture an item that sells millions.
    >There are however 2 areas of computers that don't reflect this trend...
    >printer ink and software. While many other items are sold at a price
    >that reflects the reduced cost of production, these are sold on the
    >basis of what the traffic will bear.

    There are more items that follow the same policy: Shaving blades and
    vacuum cleaner bags.

    Where you can not avoid buying original brand supplies you will
    shortly find the suppliers hand direcly in your purse.

    Michael
  24. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:29:09 -0400, "JoAnn" <jo@nospam.com> wrote:

    >"Vint@ge" <vint@ge.cars> wrote in message
    >
    >> From what they charge for the cartridges, they could afford to give away
    >the printers.
    >

    >Some printer manufacturers just about do. My daughter bought a cheapie for
    >her kids, paid $39. It came with a full set of cartridges, one black and
    >one color. The replacement cartridges cost $61 ($29 blk, $32 color). Geez,
    >for that, it'd be cheaper to buy a brand new printer every time she needs
    >ink!

    Do it - and sell the empty printers on ebay, some fool will buy them.

    Michael
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    <<,>Some printer manufacturers just about do. My daughter bought a cheapie for
    >her kids, paid $39. It came with a full set of cartridges, one black and
    >one color. The replacement cartridges cost $61 ($29 blk, $32 color). Geez,
    >for that, it'd be cheaper to buy a brand new printer every time she needs
    >ink!>>>>

    Done this many times. Epson uses full cart with new printers, so if you find a
    deal on a sub $50 Epson, just upgrade your printer.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:<66fic.84030$cd.5573763@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
    > I find the HP carts last about two years before some thing goes wrong. The
    > Black I refill through the heads but the colour is refilled by needle and
    > syringe. Two of us share the printer which is used every day.

    Thats a clever idea - filling the black cart through the print head.
    Is there any special precaution to take to avoid damaging the head?
    Also, how do you tell when you've pumped in enough ink - assuming the
    cart wasnt empty initially?
  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.graphics.apps.paint-shop-pro (More info?)

    On 5 May 2004 20:29:57 -0700, D3xx@hotmail.com (Jim) wrote:

    >"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:<66fic.84030$cd.5573763@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
    >> I find the HP carts last about two years before some thing goes wrong. The
    >> Black I refill through the heads but the colour is refilled by needle and
    >> syringe. Two of us share the printer which is used every day.

    My experience has been that cartridges tend to die more because of a
    lack of use rather than extended use. Once they clog, the don't want
    to open up. I've soaked them for days, blasted them with compressed
    air, etc. It's all a stop-gap once they clog. Occasionally I get
    lucky and one works again for a while.

Printers Peripherals