yikes 257 degrees reported on MBM

hi there

wow i get an alarm on Motherboard Monitor for temp sensor 3 @
257 deg F ? i'm running an amd xp3200 + on an a7n8x-e deluxe?
is this bad?
7 answers Last reply
More about yikes degrees reported

    "mike6" <mike6@the.web> wrote in message
    | hi there
    |
    | wow i get an alarm on Motherboard Monitor for temp sensor 3 @
    | 257 deg F ? i'm running an amd xp3200 + on an a7n8x-e deluxe?
    | is this bad?

    It's quite good if you have a bag of marshmallows and a stick.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    mike6 wrote:
    > hi there
    >
    > wow i get an alarm on Motherboard Monitor for temp sensor 3 @
    > 257 deg F ? i'm running an amd xp3200 + on an a7n8x-e deluxe?
    > is this bad?

    125°C is about the limit of any silicon-based semiconductor device (it's
    about the top end that an Si thermometer can do). Most consumer
    computational devices will be rated considerably lower than this. Your CPU
    would be around 85°C.

    If the system is stable, I would strongly suspect a faulty reading rather
    than temperatures that high.

    Given that your motherboard isn't supported in MBM5:
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/asus.html

    Hmm, actually, it looks like it is, must be new.

    Anyway, given that there is no sensor3 supported on your motherboard, that
    pretty much confirms the faulty reading argument.

    My advice? Prevent the reading of that "sensor" from sounding the alarm.

    On the classic A7N8X (Deluxe) you do have 3 readings: Diode, Socket and
    Case/Motherboard.

    P.S. Is anybody else aware that google can do this:
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=257f+in+c

    Give it a play, it's knows quite a few units.

    Ben

    "Ben Pope" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > mike6 wrote:
    > > hi there
    > >
    > > wow i get an alarm on Motherboard Monitor for temp sensor 3 @
    > > 257 deg F ? i'm running an amd xp3200 + on an a7n8x-e deluxe?
    > > is this bad?
    >

    > 125°C is about the limit of any silicon-based semiconductor device (it's
    > about the top end that an Si thermometer can do). Most consumer
    > computational devices will be rated considerably lower than this. Your
    CPU
    > would be around 85°C.
    >
    > If the system is stable, I would strongly suspect a faulty reading rather
    > than temperatures that high.
    >
    > Given that your motherboard isn't supported in MBM5:
    > http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/asus.html
    >
    > Hmm, actually, it looks like it is, must be new.

    Yea..
    Some of the last few to be out there..
    the Dev of MBM has called it quits.. so no more new stuff

    rstlne wrote:
    > Yea..
    > Some of the last few to be out there..
    > the Dev of MBM has called it quits.. so no more new stuff

    What a shame, but I can understand why... he's probably put under a lot of
    pressure to support each and every new board, even if it's only a case of
    working out which sensor chip it is and which sensors are where... the
    biggest problem would be the huge array of different sensor chips.

    Ben

    Would it be ideal to have the manufacturers create their monitoring
    software to include with their motherboards and video cards?

    "Kylesb" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "mike6" <mike6@the.web> wrote in message
    > | hi there
    > |
    > | wow i get an alarm on Motherboard Monitor for temp sensor 3 @
    > | 257 deg F ? i'm running an amd xp3200 + on an a7n8x-e deluxe?
    > | is this bad?

    I think its a known problem for the board, same thing happened to me but,
    for the life of me I cant remember what i did to fix it

    Jules

    William wrote:
    > Would it be ideal to have the manufacturers create their monitoring
    > software to include with their motherboards and video cards?

    Lots of them do.

    The problem is that they're non-standard and often of poor quality.

    Ben

Asus Motherboards