Win 9x machines can't see shared printer

I have a printer connected to (and shared from) an XP Home computer. It is
shared easily to an XP Professional computer on my home network. However, 2
Win 98SE computers and a Win Me computer do not even "see" the XP Home
shared printer, even though folder/file sharing works fine.

Other printers on the network (1 connected to the XP Pro machine and one
connected to a Win 98 machine) are accessible by one and all.

Why aren't the Win 9x-based machines not seeing the one connected to the XP
Home machine, and how can I remedy the situation?

Other details are below, but I don't think they have much to do with the
situation.

Thanks
John

Printer pairs:
Win XP Home/HP LaserJet 1100
Win XP Pro/Canon i560
Win 98SE/HP DeskJet 500c

Network is set up using a Netgear 8-port router and a Netgear 8-port switch
4 answers Last reply
More about machines shared printer

    How many computers in the network and shares on XP Home are there?

    5 computers in the network. Only one share (C:\ drive) on the XP Home
    (unless you want to include the standard "Shared Documents" folder).

    Thanks for any insight you might have.

    -- John

    "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
    How many computers in the network and shares on XP Home are there?

    XP (Pro and Home) are secured version of Windows. For Windows 98Se to see
    shared device for an XP, the user accounts for the Windows 98 PC MUST exist
    as a user in Windows XP. If not, then you can not see the XP shares.

    "John Newman" <nospamnews@newman6.net> wrote in message
    > 5 computers in the network. Only one share (C:\ drive) on the XP Home
    > (unless you want to include the standard "Shared Documents" folder).
    >
    > Thanks for any insight you might have.
    >
    > -- John
    >

    > "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
    > How many computers in the network and shares on XP Home are there?

    OK, that makes sense. But that doesn't explain why the Win 9x machines can
    see the printer connected to the XP Pro computer with no additional user
    accounts on the XP Pro machine.

    I've tried creating a new user account using the logon info from one of the
    Win 98SE machines, and it still doesn't see it.

    Other suggestions?

    XP (Pro and Home) are secured version of Windows. For Windows 98Se to see
    shared device for an XP, the user accounts for the Windows 98 PC MUST exist
    as a user in Windows XP. If not, then you can not see the XP shares.

    "John Newman" <nospamnews@newman6.net> wrote in message
    > 5 computers in the network. Only one share (C:\ drive) on the XP Home
    > (unless you want to include the standard "Shared Documents" folder).
    >
    > Thanks for any insight you might have.
    >
    > -- John
    >

    > "Jetro" <no.spam@internet> wrote in message
    > How many computers in the network and shares on XP Home are there?

Windows XP Shared Printer Printers