A7N8X-X 6 Channel Audio Connections

Just built my daughter a new PC with the A7N8NX-X mb, which has 6 channel
audio onboard.

Now, I've just bought her surround sound speakers with 6 channel audio. The
speakers has a cable that ends with 3 plugs, green, pink, and black. But the
mb has only one audio input jack.

Well, how do I get the 6 channel audio onboard hooked up to the 6 channel
speakers?

RS

Paul

Splendid

In article <DgjHc.368$WS.4@fe39.usenetserver.com>, "Richard Storey"
<carbonbased@alltel.net> wrote:

> Just built my daughter a new PC with the A7N8NX-X mb, which has 6 channel
> audio onboard.
>
> Now, I've just bought her surround sound speakers with 6 channel audio. The
> speakers has a cable that ends with 3 plugs, green, pink, and black. But the
> mb has only one audio input jack.
>
> Well, how do I get the 6 channel audio onboard hooked up to the 6 channel
> speakers?
>
> RS

I guess Asus got lazy when they wrote the manual. I had to go
back to A7N8X manual e1170 to find this info:

"Click the Speaker Setup Wizard to setup audio output.
If you only have 3 audio jacks, it is recommended to use
the Speaker Setup Wizard to switch the output from Line_In jack
to Rear Speaker Out and the output from Mic_In jack to
Center Speaker Out, Subwoofer (Center/LFE output).If your back
panel I/O have 5 audio jacks, refer to Chapter 2.8
³Audio Connectors² for details. No need to use Speaker Setup
Wizard to switch audio jack outputs.

Connector Settings and Functions
(audio jack switching for motherboards with 3 audio jacks only)

Connector Headphone/ 4-Speaker 6-Speaker
2 Speaker

Lime Line Out/ Line Out/ Line Out/
Front Speaker Out Front Speaker Out Front Speaker Out

Light Blue Line In Rear Speaker Out Rear Speaker Out

Pink Mic In Mic In Center Speaker Out,
Sub-woofer"

So, the three jacks on the back of the computer change roles as
you change the speaker setup. When you use a six speaker setup,
the Line_In and Mic_In are no longer available.

You do have some input options when in six channel speaker mode.

1) The FP_AUDIO header has a MIC2 input. Wire MIC2, MIC_PWR, and GND
to the Mic jack on the front of your computer case. Set the
Audio Control Panel to use MIC2 as input. A Microphone boost button
amplifies the signal by +20dB, if the input is too low for you to
hear.

2) The motherboard has a four pin "Aux" header. This is a line level
(1V rms) input, and is the same as the Line_In would have been on
the back of the computer. While this header is generally only used
to hook TV card audio to the computer, you may be able to find a
cable assembly somewhere, to convert from 1x4 header, to stereo
1/8" input jack.

3) The motherboard also has a four pin "CD" header. This should
be similar to Aux in terms of characteristics. It is another
line level input. (You can get the CD signal via DAE over the
IDE cable, freeing up the analog header.)

/ \
MIC2 --------| | <--- "Tip"
\ /
+===+