"Press 5 to page this person" ???

When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
person".

What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?
10 answers Last reply
More about press page person

    "Jimmy" <NoOneYet@Nowhere.Net> wrote in message
    > When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
    > powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
    > person".
    >
    > What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

    They instruct you to yell the person's name in a REALLY LOUD VOICE. :)

    Just kidding . . . I have no idea. Seems to me if the person isn't
    answering the phone, he/she isn't going to answer a phone that's paging,
    either. -Dave

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:24:12 GMT, Jimmy <NoOneYet@Nowhere.Net> wrote:

    >When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
    >powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
    >person".
    >
    >What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

    More than likely enter their 10 digit phone number and press #. Their
    callback number will appear on the called party's display.
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Jimmy wrote:

    > When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
    > powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
    > person".
    >
    > What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

    You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
    you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
    either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
    their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
    during their absence.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

    >You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    >presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    >person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    >allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    >pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
    >you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
    >either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
    >their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
    >during their absence.

    What would happen if the person was on the phone at the time ?

    Jimmy wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
    >

    >>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    >>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    >>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    >>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    >>pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
    >>you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
    >>either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
    >>their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
    >>during their absence.
    >

    > What would happen if the person was on the phone at the time ?

    Nothing different, the SMS goes through whether the handset is in use or
    not. The SMS function uses spare data bits on a control channel, not a
    voice channel, to transfer the data (message) to the handset. The term
    'spare' in this context simply means the SMS doesn't gett priority
    treatment as it winds it's way through the network, and the consequence
    is it isn't expected to be instantaneous.

    Sometimes, someone will ring a cell, only to end up being forwarded to
    the cell's v-mail for one reason or another. The caller can now choose
    whether to expend more time leaving a message, or simply solicit a
    request for a call back. The latter choice is much faster while
    preserving the intent to actually chat live instead of playing v-mail
    tag until one gives up.

    --

    Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<cbajn2$svp@library2.airnews.net>...
    > Jimmy wrote:
    >
    > > When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
    > > powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
    > > person".
    > >
    > > What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?
    >
    > You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    > presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    > person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    > allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    > pressing "send" when it's displayed.

    Hmm. I notice that if someone calls me and leaves a voice mail, their
    number does not always show up in my "Missed calls" list. If they
    don't leave voicemail, I get their number in the missed calls if
    they're not anonymous.

    I'm wondering if someone gets routed to voicemail, but then presses 5
    to page me and enters their callback number, it goes to the "Missed
    calls" list?

    --
    Himanshu

    > You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    > presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    > person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    > allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    > pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
    > you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
    > either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
    > their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
    > during their absence.

    Does the person receiving the "page" get charged with an SMS message or is
    this a fee-free service?

    Brsmnky007 wrote:
    >>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    >>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    >>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    >>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    >>pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
    >>you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
    >>either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
    >>their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
    >>during their absence.
    >

    > Does the person receiving the "page" get charged with an SMS message or is
    > this a fee-free service?

    hmmm... that's an interesting question. I don't get enough SMS to
    answer that by looking at my billing histories. Ordinarily, I would
    recommend checking with a CSR, but we're talking about Cingular aren't
    we? Maybe someone else can jump in here with better info.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
    what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:51:47 -0500, "Brsmnky007"
    <brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >> You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    >> presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    >> person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    >> allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    >> pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
    >> you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
    >> either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
    >> their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
    >> during their absence.
    >
    >Does the person receiving the "page" get charged with an SMS message or is
    >this a fee-free service?

    There is no charge.

    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Himanshu wrote:
    > Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<cbajn2$svp@library2.airnews.net>...
    >
    >>Jimmy wrote:
    >>

    >>>When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
    >>>powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
    >>>person".
    >>>
    >>>What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?
    >>
    >>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
    >>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
    >>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
    >>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
    >>pressing "send" when it's displayed.
    >

    > Hmm. I notice that if someone calls me and leaves a voice mail, their
    > number does not always show up in my "Missed calls" list. If they
    > don't leave voicemail, I get their number in the missed calls if
    > they're not anonymous.
    >
    > I'm wondering if someone gets routed to voicemail, but then presses 5
    > to page me and enters their callback number, it goes to the "Missed
    > calls" list?
    >
    > --
    > Himanshu

    It is my understanding that the missed call list is used to track
    incoming calls that went unanswered at the handset, and if a call didn't
    include CID, it would still be stored as a "no number" entry.

    Now, if for some reason the incoming call couldn't reach your handset
    because it was out of range, in a dead spot, or turned off, the missed
    call list wouldn't be able to track the missed call.

    Either way the incoming call should end up on your voicemail whether it
    was tracked at the handset as a missed call or not.

    Also, via personal experience, I have to conclude there are rare times
    when the carrier's network has it's own occasional burp preventing any
    indication of an incoming call despite my handset showing full bars.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    "All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
    what we know." -- Richard Wilbur

Cingular Internet Service Providers