"Press 5 to page this person" ???

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 22, 2004 10:24:12 PM

When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
person".

What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

More about : press page person

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:24:13 PM

"Jimmy" <NoOneYet@Nowhere.Net> wrote in message
> When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
> powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
> person".
>
> What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

They instruct you to yell the person's name in a REALLY LOUD VOICE. :)

Just kidding . . . I have no idea. Seems to me if the person isn't
answering the phone, he/she isn't going to answer a phone that's paging,
either. -Dave
June 22, 2004 10:24:13 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:24:12 GMT, Jimmy <NoOneYet@Nowhere.Net> wrote:

>When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
>powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
>person".
>
>What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

More than likely enter their 10 digit phone number and press #. Their
callback number will appear on the called party's display.
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Related resources
June 22, 2004 11:45:21 PM

Jimmy wrote:

> When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
> powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
> person".
>
> What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?

You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
during their absence.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
>pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
>you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
>either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
>their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
>during their absence.

What would happen if the person was on the phone at the time ?
June 23, 2004 6:18:05 AM

Jimmy wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:45:21 -0500, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:
>

>>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
>>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
>>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
>>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
>>pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
>>you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
>>either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
>>their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
>>during their absence.
>

> What would happen if the person was on the phone at the time ?

Nothing different, the SMS goes through whether the handset is in use or
not. The SMS function uses spare data bits on a control channel, not a
voice channel, to transfer the data (message) to the handset. The term
'spare' in this context simply means the SMS doesn't gett priority
treatment as it winds it's way through the network, and the consequence
is it isn't expected to be instantaneous.

Sometimes, someone will ring a cell, only to end up being forwarded to
the cell's v-mail for one reason or another. The caller can now choose
whether to expend more time leaving a message, or simply solicit a
request for a call back. The latter choice is much faster while
preserving the intent to actually chat live instead of playing v-mail
tag until one gives up.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 11:36:32 AM

Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<cbajn2$svp@library2.airnews.net>...
> Jimmy wrote:
>
> > When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
> > powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
> > person".
> >
> > What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?
>
> You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
> presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
> person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
> allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
> pressing "send" when it's displayed.

Hmm. I notice that if someone calls me and leaves a voice mail, their
number does not always show up in my "Missed calls" list. If they
don't leave voicemail, I get their number in the missed calls if
they're not anonymous.

I'm wondering if someone gets routed to voicemail, but then presses 5
to page me and enters their callback number, it goes to the "Missed
calls" list?

--
Himanshu
Anonymous

> You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
> presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
> person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
> allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
> pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
> you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
> either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
> their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
> during their absence.

Does the person receiving the "page" get charged with an SMS message or is
this a fee-free service?
June 24, 2004 1:12:11 PM

Brsmnky007 wrote:
>>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
>>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
>>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
>>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
>>pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
>>you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
>>either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
>>their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
>>during their absence.
>

> Does the person receiving the "page" get charged with an SMS message or is
> this a fee-free service?

hmmm... that's an interesting question. I don't get enough SMS to
answer that by looking at my billing histories. Ordinarily, I would
recommend checking with a CSR, but we're talking about Cingular aren't
we? Maybe someone else can jump in here with better info.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
June 24, 2004 5:09:53 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:51:47 -0500, "Brsmnky007"
<brsmnky007@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
>> presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
>> person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
>> allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
>> pressing "send" when it's displayed. Bear in mind that if the handset
>> you're calling is "off network", they probably won't receive the SMS
>> either until they return to an "on network" condition, at which time
>> their handset should be updated with any message indicators they missed
>> during their absence.
>
>Does the person receiving the "page" get charged with an SMS message or is
>this a fee-free service?

There is no charge.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
June 24, 2004 11:06:34 PM

Himanshu wrote:
> Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote in message news:<cbajn2$svp@library2.airnews.net>...
>
>>Jimmy wrote:
>>

>>>When you get sent to the voicemail of a Cingular customer (busy, not
>>>powered on, out of area, etc) there is an option "press 5 to page this
>>>person".
>>>
>>>What exactly do they do if you "press 5" ?
>>
>>You're prompted to enter a string of numerical digits which is
>>presumably your callback number. Your string of digits is sent to that
>>person's handset as an SMS message with the "CB" flag. The CB flag
>>allows that person to use the SMS message as a callback number by simply
>>pressing "send" when it's displayed.
>

> Hmm. I notice that if someone calls me and leaves a voice mail, their
> number does not always show up in my "Missed calls" list. If they
> don't leave voicemail, I get their number in the missed calls if
> they're not anonymous.
>
> I'm wondering if someone gets routed to voicemail, but then presses 5
> to page me and enters their callback number, it goes to the "Missed
> calls" list?
>
> --
> Himanshu

It is my understanding that the missed call list is used to track
incoming calls that went unanswered at the handset, and if a call didn't
include CID, it would still be stored as a "no number" entry.

Now, if for some reason the incoming call couldn't reach your handset
because it was out of range, in a dead spot, or turned off, the missed
call list wouldn't be able to track the missed call.

Either way the incoming call should end up on your voicemail whether it
was tracked at the handset as a missed call or not.

Also, via personal experience, I have to conclude there are rare times
when the carrier's network has it's own occasional burp preventing any
indication of an incoming call despite my handset showing full bars.

--
!