One Loose Motherboard Mounting Screw Stopped Computer

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

I was racking my brains trying to figure out why my P4T motherboard died. I
spent hours swapping out hardware and RAM. When I was unscrewing the
motherboard to take it to the shop I noticed one screw was really loose. I
tightened it up and the computer started up like nothing happened! After 4
years of vibration from the fans this screw got loose. So if your mobo dies
check the mounting screws!! :D
Its always the simple stuff that trips you up.
4 answers Last reply
More about loose motherboard mounting screw stopped computer
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 05:01:48 GMT, "Mike" <nospam@email.com> wrote:

    >I was racking my brains trying to figure out why my P4T motherboard died. I
    >spent hours swapping out hardware and RAM. When I was unscrewing the
    >motherboard to take it to the shop I noticed one screw was really loose. I
    >tightened it up and the computer started up like nothing happened! After 4
    >years of vibration from the fans this screw got loose. So if your mobo dies
    >check the mounting screws!! :D
    >Its always the simple stuff that trips you up.

    Sounds like the board is shorting out somewhere if you ask me.
    One missing/loose screw shouldn't bring the whole thing down! ;p
    Ed
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:18:31 -0500, Ed <nomail@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 05:01:48 GMT, "Mike" <nospam@email.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I was racking my brains trying to figure out why my P4T motherboard died. I
    >>spent hours swapping out hardware and RAM. When I was unscrewing the
    >>motherboard to take it to the shop I noticed one screw was really loose. I
    >>tightened it up and the computer started up like nothing happened! After 4
    >>years of vibration from the fans this screw got loose. So if your mobo dies
    >>check the mounting screws!! :D
    >>Its always the simple stuff that trips you up.
    >>

    >Sounds like the board is shorting out somewhere if you ask me.
    >One missing/loose screw shouldn't bring the whole thing down! ;p
    >Ed

    True, there are a few members of this newgroup that seem to have
    working systems even though they have a couple of screws loose.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    Some motherboards actually require connection to the PC case' chassis for
    ground. Part of the path back to the power supply. These type normally
    won't boot on your desk as a test out of the PC case.
    "Mike" <nospam@email.com> wrote in message
    > I was racking my brains trying to figure out why my P4T motherboard died.
    > spent hours swapping out hardware and RAM. When I was unscrewing the
    > motherboard to take it to the shop I noticed one screw was really loose. I
    > tightened it up and the computer started up like nothing happened! After 4
    > years of vibration from the fans this screw got loose. So if your mobo
    dies
    > check the mounting screws!! :D
    > Its always the simple stuff that trips you up.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 23:08:54 GMT, "Lil' Dave"
    <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote:

    >Some motherboards actually require connection to the PC case' chassis for
    >ground. Part of the path back to the power supply. These type normally
    >won't boot on your desk as a test out of the PC case.

    Which boards?
    That goes against spec, all electrical ground is to go though the
    power connector.

Asus Hardware Computer Motherboards