Changing video card from a Virtual IRQ to Standard IRQ

a b U Graphics card
May 24, 2004 9:16:03 PM

I have WinXP. I purchased a new AGP video card GeForce FX 5700 Ultra a couple months back. I've had significant issues, with such examples as Windows flickering a black screen every so often or WIndows rebooting when in an online game. I have a feeling it is due to WinXP installing the Nvidia drivers on a virtual IRQ 19 instead of on a standard open IRQ 11. How do I go about changing the IRQ so my stability is back to normal? It seems like anything I do doesn't work. I've reinstalled WinXP (Home), reinstalled the drivers, re-installed the video card, called the card manufacturer tech support, talked with my motherboard manufacturer ASUS A7N266-E (motherboard doesn't allow me to re-set IRQ's). They've all attributed the issue to WInXP assigning the video card to a virtual IRQ, but WinXP seems to lock the ability to change it.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2004 12:52:29 AM

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:16:03 -0700, Chris Stevens wrote:

> talked with my motherboard manufacturer ASUS A7N266-E (motherboard
> doesn't allow me to re-set IRQ's).

I have an ASUS but a different model. In the BIOS setup screens, check the
PNP/PCI configuration menu for an option worded similar to "assign IRQ for
VGA."

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Thanks for your response Sharon. It looks like I can select the PCI slots (1/5, 2, 3, or 4) to Auto, NA, or choose the specific IRQ, but there is no option for the AGP slot (which my Video card requires) like there is for the PCI slots in the BIOS, and I have no option to assign IRQ for VGA.

If there's any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
May 26, 2004 3:08:20 AM

On Tue, 25 May 2004 14:46:10 -0700, Chris Stevens wrote:

> Thanks for your response Sharon. It looks like I can select the PCI
> slots (1/5, 2, 3, or 4) to Auto, NA, or choose the specific IRQ, but
> there is no option for the AGP slot (which my Video card requires) like
> there is for the PCI slots in the BIOS, and I have no option to assign
> IRQ for VGA.
>
> If there's any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome, Chris but I have no other suggestions. Well, one more. You
might check usenet for some asus newsgroups. If your ISP does not grant
access, you can access the groups using a web browser and Google Groups.
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

There may be forums at the Asus website or directions buried in the Asus
tech support pages too.

Aside: I said I had an Asus board before but it's an Abit. Here's the link
to the main page of the motherboard section of the Asus site:
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/mbindex.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Chris Stevens wrote:

> I have WinXP. I purchased a new AGP video card GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
> a couple months back. I've had significant issues, with such
> examples as Windows flickering a black screen every so often or
> WIndows rebooting when in an online game. I have a feeling it is due
> to WinXP installing the Nvidia drivers on a virtual IRQ 19 instead of
> on a standard open IRQ 11. How do I go about changing the IRQ so my
> stability is back to normal? It seems like anything I do doesn't
> work. I've reinstalled WinXP (Home), reinstalled the drivers,
> re-installed the video card, called the card manufacturer tech
> support, talked with my motherboard manufacturer ASUS A7N266-E
> (motherboard doesn't allow me to re-set IRQ's). They've all
> attributed the issue to WInXP assigning the video card to a virtual
> IRQ, but WinXP seems to lock the ability to change it.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.

It sounds like your problem may be more hardware related than an issue
with the interrupt. Have you checked your voltages when you are having
problems with ASUS Probe or Motherboard Monitor.
If you want to use IRQ 11 you will probably have to reinstall Windows XP
(not sure on this detail) after changing the interrupt on PCI slot 1 to
11 or turning off ACPI either in the BIOS or when you choose the
hardware model for the installation. You might want to look for posts
regarding ACPI in the ASUS newsgroup alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
!