Dual video cards -- 2nd card won't work

I have an ASUS motherboard and have been using a Matrox G450 AGP dual head
video card with two monitors. It works perfectly. I want to use a monitor
profiling device -- Colorvision's OptiCal with Spyder -- but until recently,
it would not work with dual monitors. Now, Colorvision has a beta version
of the OptiCal software that will work with dual monitors, BUT it won't work
with a dual monitor video card. It needs two separate video cards to work.

OK... so I bought a second video card -- an inexpensive PCI card to run my
second monitor. I disabled dual monitor support in the Matrox driver,
installed the second video card, attached my second monitor to the new PCI
card and restarted. Windows XP Home recognizes the second card and installs
the driver, but nothing happens -- the screen is blank. Checking Device
Manger shows a yellow exclamation sign and Properties says the device will
not start -- Code 10. The XP Troubleshooter suggest uninstalling the device
and reinstalling. I did that, but no luck.

I installed the drivers for the new video card, and still no luck. The new
card is a "no-name" S3 Savage IX card. I see no reason it's not working. I
tried two different PCI slots and still no luck. I have made no BIOS
changes and wouldn't know what to try there.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Thank you.

John

There are hardware limitations in that card that won't allow it to work as a
secondary card.

Suggest you see this page to see the lowest generation of cards that will
work
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307397

and pick something that is listed there, or of a later generation.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> I have an ASUS motherboard and have been using a Matrox G450 AGP dual head
> video card with two monitors. It works perfectly. I want to use a
monitor
> profiling device -- Colorvision's OptiCal with Spyder -- but until
recently,
> it would not work with dual monitors. Now, Colorvision has a beta version
> of the OptiCal software that will work with dual monitors, BUT it won't
work
> with a dual monitor video card. It needs two separate video cards to
work.

> OK... so I bought a second video card -- an inexpensive PCI card to run my
> second monitor. I disabled dual monitor support in the Matrox driver,
> installed the second video card, attached my second monitor to the new PCI
> card and restarted. Windows XP Home recognizes the second card and
installs
> the driver, but nothing happens -- the screen is blank. Checking Device
> Manger shows a yellow exclamation sign and Properties says the device will
> not start -- Code 10. The XP Troubleshooter suggest uninstalling the
device
> and reinstalling. I did that, but no luck.
>
> I installed the drivers for the new video card, and still no luck. The
new
> card is a "no-name" S3 Savage IX card. I see no reason it's not working.
> tried two different PCI slots and still no luck. I have made no BIOS
> changes and wouldn't know what to try there.
>
> Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
>
> Thank you.
>
> John

Jason,

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate that.

Oh well... an $18 video card was too good to be true I guess. Perhaps you
or someone else can suggest an inexpensive PCI card on that list that will
work along side of my Matrox G450 (which runs my primary monitor).

Again, thanks.

John

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> There are hardware limitations in that card that won't allow it to work as
> secondary card.
>
> Suggest you see this page to see the lowest generation of cards that will
> work
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307397
>
> and pick something that is listed there, or of a later generation.
>
> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> "John Blaustein" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> > I have an ASUS motherboard and have been using a Matrox G450 AGP dual
head
> > video card with two monitors. It works perfectly. I want to use a
> monitor
> > profiling device -- Colorvision's OptiCal with Spyder -- but until
> recently,
> > it would not work with dual monitors. Now, Colorvision has a beta
version
> > of the OptiCal software that will work with dual monitors, BUT it won't
> work
> > with a dual monitor video card. It needs two separate video cards to
> work.
> >
> > OK... so I bought a second video card -- an inexpensive PCI card to run
my
> > second monitor. I disabled dual monitor support in the Matrox driver,
> > installed the second video card, attached my second monitor to the new
PCI
> > card and restarted. Windows XP Home recognizes the second card and
> installs
> > the driver, but nothing happens -- the screen is blank. Checking Device
> > Manger shows a yellow exclamation sign and Properties says the device
will
> > not start -- Code 10. The XP Troubleshooter suggest uninstalling the
> device
> > and reinstalling. I did that, but no luck.
> >
> > I installed the drivers for the new video card, and still no luck. The
> new
> > card is a "no-name" S3 Savage IX card. I see no reason it's not
working.
> > tried two different PCI slots and still no luck. I have made no BIOS
> > changes and wouldn't know what to try there.
> >
> > Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > John

Any ATI 9000 series card or Nvidia Geforce4 (mx or non mx) should be
relatively cheap at this time.

--

> [...]
> > > card and restarted. Windows XP Home recognizes the second card and
> > installs
> > > the driver, but nothing happens -- the screen is blank. Checking
Device
> > > Manger shows a yellow exclamation sign and Properties says the device
> will
> > > not start -- Code 10. The XP Troubleshooter suggest uninstalling the
> > device
> > > and reinstalling. I did that, but no luck.
> > >
> > > I installed the drivers for the new video card, and still no luck.
The
> > new
> > > card is a "no-name" S3 Savage IX card. I see no reason it's not
> working.
> > > tried two different PCI slots and still no luck. I have made no BIOS
> > > changes and wouldn't know what to try there.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

OK, Jason... I'll look for those. Many thanks!