ASUS P3B-F - BIOS and Max CPU speed

Hi,

Can someone please tell me the max cpu an ASUS P3B-F can handle?

Also my BIOS says it is version 1007 Beta 01 but on the ASUS website
it only goes to 1006 !!!!

Where has this BIOS update come from and are there any others?
Currently running XP

Ron

A search like this one might help.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&scoring=d&q=p3b+latest+bios

Ed Roberts <eiroberts@clara.net> wrote in message news:<hoeve0168bt2tv3te53gsq22537jb5mb0u@4ax.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please tell me the max cpu an ASUS P3B-F can handle?
>
> Also my BIOS says it is version 1007 Beta 01 but on the ASUS website
> it only goes to 1006 !!!!
>
> Where has this BIOS update come from and are there any others?
> Currently running XP

Hello Ed,

with the latest 1008 beta 004 BIOS, you can use the PIII Tualatin 1.4
GHz as max cpu. but you'll get an error message you need to download a
version of the 1008.004 that has been "edited". Unfortunately, I forgot
the URL for that. Try google.

HTH

Roy

Ed Roberts wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Can someone please tell me the max cpu an ASUS P3B-F can handle?
>
>Also my BIOS says it is version 1007 Beta 01 but on the ASUS website
>it only goes to 1006 !!!!
>
>Where has this BIOS update come from and are there any others?
>Currently running XP

Paul

Splendid

In article <ccola9$o8g$1@nobel.pacific.net.sg>, "Roy Sharif M. Sison"
<roysharif@pacific.net.ph> wrote:

> Hello Ed,
>
> with the latest 1008 beta 004 BIOS, you can use the PIII Tualatin 1.4
> GHz as max cpu. but you'll get an error message you need to download a
> version of the 1008.004 that has been "edited". Unfortunately, I forgot
> the URL for that. Try google.
>
> HTH
>
> Roy

Go to the download page:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/download.aspx

Type the name of the motherboard and select something like "All" from
the pulldown menu. Select your motherboard from the returned list.
When a long list of stuff pops up, click "BIOS" from the menu.
When a shorter list pops up, click the "Beta" button above the
menu bar. There, you will find 1008.004 Beta BIOS, the last released
BIOS.

To add a microcode update, there is a recipe here:

http://tipperlinne.com/p2bmod (main page)
http://tipperlinne.com/bios6b4.htm (use CTMC method, less risk)

Also, Roland's FAQ is here:
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html

It mentions the revision number versus onboard voltage regulator
support, and that determines whether a Tualatin can be added
using a simple slocket adapter, or whether a Powerleap, with its
own voltage regulator, is required. There are other processor
upgrade choices, too numerous to mention in a short post. These
other choices might not be as cheap or easy to find.

HTH,
Paul

> Ed Roberts wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Can someone please tell me the max cpu an ASUS P3B-F can handle?
> >
> >Also my BIOS says it is version 1007 Beta 01 but on the ASUS website
> >it only goes to 1006 !!!!
> >
> >Where has this BIOS update come from and are there any others?
> >Currently running XP

I forgot, you'll need the slot-T adapter from upgradeware.com or the
expensive powerleap adaptor.
If you have the v1.04 mainboard, you won't need the powerleap adaptor