Boot Up error - Lithium Battery?

Hi guys...

I've dug out an old pc I want to rebuild for internet
use. It has a hard drive/cd rom etc etc which I know all
work fine, but when I powered it up I got an error
(unfortunately I can remember what I said). Personally I
think it's to do with the fact that it hasn't been
powered up for about 2 years and I striped it down all
bar the mobo to build a new one. Am I getting this error
because the Lithium battery was dead? If so, will
replacing the batter fix this?

Thanks for your help...

Joseph.
7 answers Last reply
More about boot error lithium battery

    "Joseph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys...
    >
    > I've dug out an old pc I want to rebuild for internet
    > use. It has a hard drive/cd rom etc etc which I know all
    > work fine, but when I powered it up I got an error
    > (unfortunately I can remember what I said). Personally I
    > think it's to do with the fact that it hasn't been
    > powered up for about 2 years and I striped it down all
    > bar the mobo to build a new one. Am I getting this error
    > because the Lithium battery was dead? If so, will
    > replacing the batter fix this?
    >
    > Thanks for your help...
    >
    > Joseph.

    I think you should power it up once more and make
    a note of the precise error message. If you cannot
    remember what it was, how can we give you a valid
    diagnosis?

    If I had the PC with me then I would, gladly. But
    unfortunately its 200 miles away at my friends house and
    I would have liked to have rough idea of what was wrong
    before I went down, so I could get the right resources
    together etc. I was hoping this might have been a common
    problem given the situation. This is all the info I can
    give at the moment. As I said I believe it is because of
    the lithium battery, if anyone has any ideas at all I
    would be very grateful.

    Thanks.

    You have a computer that's 200 miles away and all you know
    is that it won't boot. How do you expect anyone to be able
    to tell what the problem might be? Do you have any idea
    how many different causes there might be for boot failure?
    What would prevent you from changing the $3 battery just
    to see if it helps? Too much effort involved? Too much
    money? Ask a question when you can make a reasonable
    contribution to getting a good answer. From the looks of
    things, there's not much chance of that happening, though.

    I seem to recall one Graham Alexander Bell inventing
    a contraption called a "Telephone". It seems that it can
    be used by people wishing to talk to each other over
    distances as long as 200 miles, or even longer.

    If your friend does not have access to this gadget
    then buy a new battery by all means and see if it
    fixes this elusive problem.

    > If I had the PC with me then I would, gladly. But
    > unfortunately its 200 miles away at my friends house and
    > I would have liked to have rough idea of what was wrong
    > before I went down, so I could get the right resources
    > together etc. I was hoping this might have been a common
    > problem given the situation. This is all the info I can
    > give at the moment. As I said I believe it is because of
    > the lithium battery, if anyone has any ideas at all I
    > would be very grateful.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Look you obviously have nothing better to do, so do me a
    favour and f*uck off. Oh, and for your information I live
    on a small comet currently orbiting URANUS and my friends
    house is on the comet behind me and he doesn't have a
    phone. But if he did I'd make the lengthy trip to planet
    earth (that's where you are, by the way... god help
    mankind) and I'd sick it up your arse.

    Now do like 'Pegasus' should and just fly the f*uck away.

    Have a nice day.

    Your pleasant post has most likely just about eliminated any chance
    you have of getting any help.
    Whether you liked his presentation or not, the information is
    accurate.
    Try going to a doctor and stating "My cousin's arm hurts, is it
    broken?"
    You have basically given no information and expect a diagnosis.
    Replace the battery as you guessed.
    That is as good as any guess, it is also simple and cheap.

    When you get ready to return with at least some basic facts, I suggest
    you start a new thread and give detailed information to start.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Pegasus looks like a donkey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:11e1001c44256$aeff63d0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > Look you obviously have nothing better to do, so do me a
    > favour and f*uck off. Oh, and for your information I live
    > on a small comet currently orbiting URANUS and my friends
    > house is on the comet behind me and he doesn't have a
    > phone. But if he did I'd make the lengthy trip to planet
    > earth (that's where you are, by the way... god help
    > mankind) and I'd sick it up your arse.
    >
    > Now do like 'Pegasus' should and just fly the f*uck away.
    >
    > Have a nice day.

    I am truly impressed by the intellectual strength of
    your prose and the depth of your vocabulary. It reveals
    a lot about you.

    Coming back to reality: If you rang your car mechanic
    and told him that something was wrong with your car
    but that you could not remember just what it was,
    would you then expect him to give you a diagnosis?
    I bet any amount that he would ask lots of questions
    about your specific problem. So far you have not
    told us anything, other than your suspicion that
    the PC may have a discharged battery. I could
    easily tell you a dozen other possible problems,
    none of which are related to the battery. Do you
    expect me to list them all here, to save you the
    trouble of asking your friend for the exact error
    message? Let's be reasonable, shall we?

    "Pegasus looks like a donkey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:11e1001c44256$aeff63d0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > Look you obviously have nothing better to do, so do me a
    > favour and f*uck off. Oh, and for your information I live
    > on a small comet currently orbiting URANUS and my friends
    > house is on the comet behind me and he doesn't have a
    > phone. But if he did I'd make the lengthy trip to planet
    > earth (that's where you are, by the way... god help
    > mankind) and I'd sick it up your arse.
    >
    > Now do like 'Pegasus' should and just fly the f*uck away.
    >
    > Have a nice day.

Windows XP