cd-rom issues

This problem takes quite a lot of explaining so bare with
me. My problem arises from attempting to install products
(games mainly), the install fails, frequently. I usually
get message boxes popping up with messages along the
lines of "cannot find the specified file, your install
medium may be corrupted" except that I know the media to
be sound. Other times I get XP BSODs and the error always
seems to arise from usbhci.sys. The former variety of
problem seems to sometimes be aleaviated by merely doing
something else at the same time, eg typing mindless
garbage into notepad but recently this has not worked.
The computer in question is an athlon xp 2100+ (1.8 Ghz)
run on an MSI KT4 Ultra series motherboard with 512 Mb of
333Mhz ddr and an albatron medusa 4600 graphics card
(geforce 4 4600 chipset and 128 ddr). The drives in
question are a Lite-On 48x24x48x cd-rw (when writing cds
this drive seems to magically corrupt things with 20Mb of
additional data from nowhere) and a generic 16x dvd-rom
drive, only one of these is ever connected at a time, run
together they create all sorts of havoc. At the moment I
am led to believe that the drives are just incompatable
with my mobo/os and I am looking at replacing them both.
If anyone can take the time to read all this and give me
their informed opinions/suggestions I will be most
grateful indeed.

I would try updating the BIOS and firmware on you devices and your mobo also
look for any new drivers for your devices. The errors showing the file
usbhci.sys points to some type of hardware or driver error.

--
Kyle Lang [MSFT]
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"H Millward" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This problem takes quite a lot of explaining so bare with
> me. My problem arises from attempting to install products
> (games mainly), the install fails, frequently. I usually
> get message boxes popping up with messages along the
> lines of "cannot find the specified file, your install
> medium may be corrupted" except that I know the media to
> be sound. Other times I get XP BSODs and the error always
> seems to arise from usbhci.sys. The former variety of
> problem seems to sometimes be aleaviated by merely doing
> something else at the same time, eg typing mindless
> garbage into notepad but recently this has not worked.
> The computer in question is an athlon xp 2100+ (1.8 Ghz)
> run on an MSI KT4 Ultra series motherboard with 512 Mb of
> 333Mhz ddr and an albatron medusa 4600 graphics card
> (geforce 4 4600 chipset and 128 ddr). The drives in
> question are a Lite-On 48x24x48x cd-rw (when writing cds
> this drive seems to magically corrupt things with 20Mb of
> additional data from nowhere) and a generic 16x dvd-rom
> drive, only one of these is ever connected at a time, run
> together they create all sorts of havoc. At the moment I
> am led to believe that the drives are just incompatable
> with my mobo/os and I am looking at replacing them both.
> If anyone can take the time to read all this and give me
> their informed opinions/suggestions I will be most
> grateful indeed.

As a response to the usbhci.sys errors i removed all my USB
devices, since then the error has been replaced with other
types of error all involving BSODs. thanks for your ideas

SERVO

H Millward wrote:

> This problem takes quite a lot of explaining so bare with
> me. My problem arises from attempting to install products
> (games mainly), the install fails, frequently. I usually
> get message boxes popping up with messages along the
> lines of "cannot find the specified file, your install
> medium may be corrupted" except that I know the media to
> be sound. Other times I get XP BSODs and the error always
> seems to arise from usbhci.sys. The former variety of
> problem seems to sometimes be aleaviated by merely doing
> something else at the same time, eg typing mindless
> garbage into notepad but recently this has not worked.
> The computer in question is an athlon xp 2100+ (1.8 Ghz)
> run on an MSI KT4 Ultra series motherboard with 512 Mb of
> 333Mhz ddr and an albatron medusa 4600 graphics card
> (geforce 4 4600 chipset and 128 ddr). The drives in
> question are a Lite-On 48x24x48x cd-rw (when writing cds
> this drive seems to magically corrupt things with 20Mb of
> additional data from nowhere) and a generic 16x dvd-rom
> drive, only one of these is ever connected at a time, run
> together they create all sorts of havoc. At the moment I
> am led to believe that the drives are just incompatable
> with my mobo/os and I am looking at replacing them both.
> If anyone can take the time to read all this and give me
> their informed opinions/suggestions I will be most
> grateful indeed.

Sounds like a bad IDE cable. I had nearly identical problems once and
putting a new IDE cable fixed it. Let us know what happens.

--
Servo

"Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!"

tservo100 at
ameritech dot net

Slow, fiery death to all spammers!

>Sounds like a bad IDE cable. I had nearly identical
problems once and
>putting a new IDE cable fixed it. Let us know what
happens.

>--
>Servo
>
>"Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!"
>
>tservo100 at
>ameritech dot net
>
>Slow, fiery death to all spammers!

No such luck I'm afraid, a new IDE cable and an entirely
new cd-rw/dvd combo drive have been fitted and no
difference. I'm beginning to worry that it just might be
a damaged IDE channel, although if this were the case
wouldn't the problem be more pronounced?. Utilities
install fine, as do OSs (I should know, since I first
posted this yesterday I have been forced to
format.....twice) the problem only ever seems to arise
with games and even with those not all suffer the
problems I've described.