Starbucks Network Problem

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

I'm having some troble with wireless networking:

At Starbucks when I go to a table I can't connect to it because I need to be
in range of the network WAP (Wireless Access Point)I don't know where that is.

Is it at every table or somewhere in the room?
What is the range of the WAP and the Network itself?

Running Windows XP SP2 and my Card is up-to-date.
--
Sicerely,
Unknown

I think you have to pay to use WiFi at Starbucks. They ripp people off, for
their coffee, so I can't imagine them giving away WiFi!

Bill Crocker

"Unknown" <aleveridgea@Charter.net> wrote in message
> I'm having some troble with wireless networking:
>
> At Starbucks when I go to a table I can't connect to it because I need to
> be
> in range of the network WAP (Wireless Access Point)I don't know where that
> is.
>
> Is it at every table or somewhere in the room?
> What is the range of the WAP and the Network itself?
>
> Running Windows XP SP2 and my Card is up-to-date.
> --
> Sicerely,
> Unknown

If the Starbucks have wireless connectivity, it usually available anywhere
in the shop - they're using 802.11b and that provides connectivity up to
100m away from the access point. However, not all of the Starbucks are
equipped with wireless access points - at least Starbucks in Terminals 7 and
8 in LAX don't have it.

T-Mobile is the provider for Starbucks - the hot spot locator is at

https://selfcare.hotspot.t-mobile.com/locations/viewGlobalLocationsForLocationDomain.do

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

"Unknown" <aleveridgea@Charter.net> wrote in message
> I'm having some troble with wireless networking:
>
> At Starbucks when I go to a table I can't connect to it because I need to
be
> in range of the network WAP (Wireless Access Point)I don't know where that
is.

> Is it at every table or somewhere in the room?
> What is the range of the WAP and the Network itself?
>
> Running Windows XP SP2 and my Card is up-to-date.
> --
> Sicerely,
> Unknown

Hi there:

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I think you have to pay to use WiFi at Starbucks. They ripp people off,
for
> their coffee, so I can't imagine them giving away WiFi!

No they don't provide wireless access for free. T-Mobile provides
connectivity, and they charge something like $10/day. If the business model
is sustainable, we'll see - it will probably change a lot quite soon - but
for a business user the price is quite acceptable. Last time in NYC, I tried
to connect in Greenwich Village, and after failing to locate a free hot spot
I reverted to Starbucks: I had to go online within limited time.

That aside, Starbucks' coffee isn't a rip-off at all. Starbucks are offering
premium (to american standards) coffee at premium price.