Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello-

I have been having the error, "System failed CPU test" and trying to
fix it...my monitor won't even come on.

After trying multiple things including clearing the CMOS and doing
everything that ASUS support has told me, it has come to my attenition
that lots of people with this problem found that their PSU was the
problem.

I should mention that a few weeks ago my video card started acting up
and the cooling fan on it stopped as well.

Does anyone know how I would be able to tell if the PSU is the problem
without going out and spending a lot of money on a new one?

Thanks,

Eric

Paul

Splendid

In article <71c11d95.0407111200.491433b4@posting.google.com>,
eworkman@gmail.com (Eric) wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I have been having the error, "System failed CPU test" and trying to
> fix it...my monitor won't even come on.
>
> After trying multiple things including clearing the CMOS and doing
> everything that ASUS support has told me, it has come to my attenition
> that lots of people with this problem found that their PSU was the
> problem.
>
> I should mention that a few weeks ago my video card started acting up
> and the cooling fan on it stopped as well.
>
> Does anyone know how I would be able to tell if the PSU is the problem
> without going out and spending a lot of money on a new one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Try to reduce the loading as much as possible on your PSU.
Try motherboard, ram, CPU, and video card only. If you can
get into the BIOS, underclock the CPU by reducing the FSB.
If you can get it stable enough to use the BIOS for a while,
visit the Hardware Monitor page in the BIOS. I suspect your
+5V is on the weak side, so have a look at the readings
in there.

If you cannot get the board to start, even by disconnecting
stuff, you'll need to borrow a voltmeter, to do the same
measurements that the Hardware Monitor can do. Probing a
PSU drive cable will allow the +5V and +12V to be read.
The six pin Aux Power cable on the PSU has a +3.3V pin.
Simply fire up your computer, and use the voltmeter in
volts mode, to measure +3.3, +5, +12. Usually the spec
for these is +/- 5%. If they are out by 10% or more, I'd
buy another power supply. (And be careful, as touching the
two metal probes together can short something.)

If you aren't comfortable with voltmeters, and taking the
computer to a repair shop is too expensive, swapping the
PSU might be the cheapest option. It never hurts to have
a spare PSU around for the day that your current one quits
anyway.

HTH,
Paul

On 11 Jul 2004 13:00:33 -0700, eworkman@gmail.com (Eric) wrote:

>Hello-
>
>I have been having the error, "System failed CPU test" and trying to
>fix it...my monitor won't even come on.
>
>After trying multiple things including clearing the CMOS and doing
>everything that ASUS support has told me, it has come to my attenition
>that lots of people with this problem found that their PSU was the
>problem.
>
>I should mention that a few weeks ago my video card started acting up
>and the cooling fan on it stopped as well.
>
>Does anyone know how I would be able to tell if the PSU is the problem
>without going out and spending a lot of money on a new one?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Eric

First thing - make sure your power supply can supply at least 300W,
preferably 350W. (currently running A7n8x dlx, XP2400, 2hd, 1cdrw,
9700Pro, 2 case fans, Seasonic 350W psu)

Second thing, and this has resurrected my pooter from extreme crash
problems ... Make sure Vcore is correct.

The XP2400+ chip I have requires a Vcore of 1.65V. However, the
automatic setting in the Bios for that Vcore is 1.6V. Cue problems.
The actual Vcore it was getting was 1.63V, which was just enough for
the chip to survive but not enough to run certain applications like
SetiBoinc and Folding @ home.

So - make sure your PSU is up to the job but also have a peek at the
Vcore setting in the Bios to make sure it is correct for your cpu.

Pete Lilleyman
alishas.dontspam.addict@blueyonder.co.getrid.uk
(please get rid of ".getrid" to reply direct)
(don't get rid of the dontspam though ;-)