re enable dma on dvd rom

May 25, 2004 1:11:04 PM

whilst saving some badly scratched cd's to my hard drive i recieved more than 6 errors from real player saying it couldnt read the cd's. after more than 6 errors xp diables dma for the drive and reverts to pio mode. how do i re-enable dma on dvd rom? have tried uninstalling it, and opening driver properties for ide bus its attched to and telling it to use dma if availabe, but dma is still disabled. any ideas on how to sort this annoying problem would be much appreciated

More about : enable dma dvd rom

Anonymous
May 25, 2004 11:48:07 PM

I have the same problem too on Windows 2003 server.
I need to find a way to prevent this from happening.

If You uninstall the controller it will be back to DMA.
See IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Primary or Secondary IDE Channel
You may need to restart the computer twice if the System hard disk and the
DVD are connected to the same controller.
If it doesn't ask You to restart, click the Scan for hardware changes button
and You're done.

George Valkov

"rob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> whilst saving some badly scratched cd's to my hard drive i recieved more
than 6 errors from real player saying it couldnt read the cd's. after more
than 6 errors xp diables dma for the drive and reverts to pio mode. how do i
re-enable dma on dvd rom? have tried uninstalling it, and opening driver
properties for ide bus its attched to and telling it to use dma if availabe,
but dma is still disabled. any ideas on how to sort this annoying problem
would be much appreciated
May 25, 2004 11:48:08 PM

Thank you very much that sorted out the problem, much apprciated as it saved me from buying a new drive. was beguining to think it was faulty
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 2:45:31 AM

I am glad to help You!
And if someone tell us how can we disable the automatic change to PIO mode,
it will be just perfect! :-)
All I know that if something goes wrong durring a read operation You should
eject the disk, before It goes in PIO mode. And don't keep CDs in the drive,
when not used. :(

Good Luck!

!