Which one to use, Promise Raid or Intel Raid?

I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which
controller would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice
on the relative performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
13 answers Last reply
More about which promise raid intel raid

    While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE controllers,
    I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
    avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.

    If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.

    TomC

    "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
    > While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE
    controllers,
    > I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
    > avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.

    Promise does very good RAID.

    > If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.

    Tops but very expensive.

    > "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
    > > controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which
    > > controller would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice
    > > on the relative performances of each along with advantages or
    > disadvantages?

    Use the Intel & get the latest BIOS, latest drivers.

    There is an update for the drivers & IAA on the intel download site that has
    support for XP, Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003 and the new ICH6R as well.

    See:
    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CUTL&ProductID=1049&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21

    - Tim

    "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    >I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
    >controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
    >would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
    >performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?

    "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    >I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
    >controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
    >would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
    >performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?

    Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
    smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor 10,000
    rpm drives. DOUG

    I wonder if the actual performance will be the same since the Intel
    controller is part of the South Bridge and the Promise controller is
    PCI-based--BUT, the performance difference, if any, might be minimal. I
    chose to use the Intel controller and disable the Promise controller which
    still allows me two SATA Raptors, two optical IDE drives and a backup IDE
    HDD. Although I was using RAID 0, a thread on this ng convinced me to look
    to RAID 1 since the gains by RAID 0 in my circimstance would be negligible.
    BUT, in dumping Norton (YEA!) I have found that the FAQs regarding PC-Cillin
    indicate it will not run on a RAID system...so am looking at other
    alternative AV's before I go back to RAID. Good luck to you

    MikeSp

    Courseyauto wrote:
    > "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
    >>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
    >>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
    >>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
    >

    > Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
    > smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor 10,000
    > rpm drives. DOUG

    The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.

    Courseyauto wrote:
    > "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
    >>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
    >>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
    >>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
    >

    > Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
    > smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor
    10,000
    > rpm drives. DOUG

    <The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.

    2 promise SATA controlers or 2 sata controllers,INTEL and promise.
    Is one of them a promise ata controller, it looks like there are two ATA
    ports for ATA drives. I'm pretty sure the Sata controllers will do raid or non
    raid.

    Ron;

    Maybe Promise does good motherboard RAID, but I have had to throw out enough
    of their IDE cards for various reasons over the years that I don't trust the
    company.

    In addition to their expensive cards, 3ware makes a low-end IDE RAID card,
    the Escalade 8006-2LP. It is available on NewEgg for $139. My
    previous-version Escalade was easy to install, very Linux-friendly, has good
    documentation and software tools, and has been perfectly reliable.

    I have been waiting for an opportunity to complain about another RAID card
    manufacturer, HighPoint, though I know that this is a bit off the original
    topic.

    I tried a HighPoint RocketRaid 133 card before the Escalade, a nightmare
    experience. Installation under Red Hat 9 was convoluted and time consuming,
    but I finally got it to function, and to pass its own diagnostics. Due to
    the miserable documentation, I still don't know if the card works under any
    but the original RH9 kernel. I eventually noticed that >1 MB files copied
    from the mirrored server were being corrupted, with no error messages
    warning of the corruption. When I tried to find a driver update, I found
    that HighPoint had simply withdrawn the version of Linux driver that I had
    installed (the latest driver), without posting any explanation or a newer
    driver. I don't know if the driver caused the problem, or the hardware, or
    what. I had to verify the integrity of about 17,000 client files from
    backups, and in some cases by manually examining individual files. The card
    made a nice sound going into the trash. I know, I know, I got what I paid
    for.

    TomC

    > Ron;
    >
    > Maybe Promise does good motherboard RAID,

    And good PCI card RAID for quite a number of years now.

    >but I have had to throw out enough
    > of their IDE cards for various reasons over the years that I don't trust
    the
    > company.

    Not ME! Ever since the Ultra33 and original FastTrak they've been quite
    good.

    > In addition to their expensive cards, 3ware makes a low-end IDE RAID card,
    > the Escalade 8006-2LP. It is available on NewEgg for $139.

    That's double the price of others.

    > My
    > previous-version Escalade was easy to install, very Linux-friendly, has
    good
    > documentation and software tools, and has been perfectly reliable.
    >
    > I have been waiting for an opportunity to complain about another RAID card
    > manufacturer, HighPoint, though I know that this is a bit off the original
    > topic.

    I have never been high on HighPoint.

    SIIG with their recent SilImage ATA & ATA RAID cards are good.

    > I tried a HighPoint RocketRaid 133 card before the Escalade, a nightmare
    > experience. Installation under Red Hat 9

    Did you just describe the Linus universe which I AVOID<g>?

    > was convoluted and time consuming,
    > but I finally got it to function, and to pass its own diagnostics. Due to
    > the miserable documentation, I still don't know if the card works under
    any
    > but the original RH9 kernel. I eventually noticed that >1 MB files copied
    > from the mirrored server were being corrupted, with no error messages
    > warning of the corruption. When I tried to find a driver update, I found
    > that HighPoint had simply withdrawn the version of Linux driver that I had
    > installed (the latest driver), without posting any explanation or a newer
    > driver. I don't know if the driver caused the problem, or the hardware, or
    > what. I had to verify the integrity of about 17,000 client files from
    > backups, and in some cases by manually examining individual files. The
    card
    > made a nice sound going into the trash. I know, I know, I got what I paid
    > for.
    >
    > TomC
    >
    > "Ron Reaugh" <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "TomC" <albert@ayler.bye> wrote in message
    > > > While this may well have limited or no application to mobo IDE
    > > controllers,
    > > > I'll respond based on my experience with Promise controller cards:
    > > > avoid Promise. In your situation I'd try the Intel RAID first.
    > >
    > > Promise does very good RAID.
    > >
    > > > If you want a good RAID card from a serious company, try 3ware.
    > >
    > > Tops but very expensive.
    > >
    > > > "John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    > > > disadvantages?

    > Did you just describe the Linus universe which I AVOID<g>?

    There are excellent reasons to avoid Linux, but it has been slowly growing
    on me, sort of like a fungus.

    TomC

    > > Did you just describe the Linus universe which I AVOID<g>?
    >
    > There are excellent reasons to avoid Linux, but it has been slowly growing
    > on me, sort of like a fungus.

    "growing"...reasons to avoid or Linus?

    Get a better fungicide<G>. I use the BillG brand and it seems to have kept
    me free from infection so far.

    No, I like a challenge, and to us latecomers Linux is a serious challenge. I
    like the way it works even when it is broken. I like looking at the source
    code, though my coding days are mostly over. I like the moderated Linux
    newsgroups -- terminal nerd central, no scams/porn/distractions. What I've
    paid Bill for Microsoft products has been money very well spent (well, maybe
    not for DOS 4.0 or Windows 3.0), but it's fun that he has a serious
    challenge from people who enjoy this stuff even more than he does.

    Courseyauto wrote:
    > Courseyauto wrote:
    >
    >>"John" <darl@sco.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >>>I have a intel chipset board (P4P800E) with a both a built in promise
    >>>controller and a Intel Controller. If I am using Raid 1, which controller
    >>>would be the better choice to use? Any experiences / advice on the relative
    >>>performances of each along with advantages or disadvantages?
    >>

    >> Either one will work the same,however using the Intel will let you use the
    >>smaller SATA cables. Performance will be the same unless you use Raptor
    >
    > 10,000
    >
    >>rpm drives. DOUG
    >

    > <The promise on this board also have 2 SATA conrollers.
    >
    > 2 promise SATA controlers or 2 sata controllers,INTEL and promise.
    > Is one of them a promise ata controller, it looks like there are two ATA
    > ports for ATA drives. I'm pretty sure the Sata controllers will do raid or non
    > raid.

    THere are 3 Pata ports, one promise, 2 intel. Both the promise and intel
    Sata controllers do raid, except the promise also offers RAID 1+0 and
    can also do Raid with drives on its single PATA contorller (With at
    least one SATA drive in the array).

    I setup the two systems (P4P800E - deluxe) with RAID 1 on the intel
    controller (disabling the promise for now). So far they are very stable
    with APM (standby mode etc) working flawlessly (win2000).

Asus NAS / RAID Controller Intel Promise Raid Motherboards