ASUS CUBX-E I/O voltage settings

Hi all,

I have a CUBX-E motherboard and a Radeon 8500LE 128.
I have quite bad performance on the graphics card, and I guess it
would get better and more stable if I managed to raise the I/O voltage
a bit. At the moment, my 3.3v lies steady at 3.26-3.28. I would at
least want it to be 3.35 or 3.45 or so.

I have a 300W power supply, so I guess that's not the problem.

What does the I/O voltage depend on?

Is there any way to adjust the 3.3 voltage on a CUBX-E motherboard?
BIOS upgrades? Hidden jumpers on the MB? Software utils?

I also have a MS-6309 motherboard (AMI-BIOS there). Is there any way
to adjust the I/O voltage on that motherboard?

Thanks in advance,
Rasmus

Paul

Splendid

In article <a96d0310.0407120727.53d87b6a@posting.google.com>,
rasmus@einarsson.net (Rasmus Einarsson) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a CUBX-E motherboard and a Radeon 8500LE 128.
> I have quite bad performance on the graphics card, and I guess it
> would get better and more stable if I managed to raise the I/O voltage
> a bit. At the moment, my 3.3v lies steady at 3.26-3.28. I would at
> least want it to be 3.35 or 3.45 or so.
>
> I have a 300W power supply, so I guess that's not the problem.
>
> What does the I/O voltage depend on?
>
> Is there any way to adjust the 3.3 voltage on a CUBX-E motherboard?
> BIOS upgrades? Hidden jumpers on the MB? Software utils?
>

> I also have a MS-6309 motherboard (AMI-BIOS there). Is there any way
> to adjust the I/O voltage on that motherboard?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Rasmus

I've been looking in the cubx-103.pdf manual and the
cubxle-100.pdf manual, and the boards are different.
The CUBX board has an onboard VIO regulator, and a VIO jumper,
and that jumper is used to adjust the VIO voltage to
two different, higher than normal, values.

The CUBX-E board is missing all those components, implying
there is no separate regulator for VIO on the board. Some
how, they must be using the 3.3V straight from the PSU. But
I don't see any strap on the board to do it.

What is funny is, the ATX PSU has a 3.3V output, but the
motherboards of that era, had a separate power circuit on the
board for the 3.3V I/O. And the Hardware Monitor BIOS page might
only be monitoring the 3.3V coming from the PSU, and not the
VIO voltage.

Given that I don't see a VIO regulator circuit on your board,
I would suggest you buy an ATX power supply that has
adjustable output voltages. That is the only way I know of,
to boost an ATX output voltage _safely_. If your motherboard
had a VIO regulator, then you would have been able to use
the VIO jumper. In any case, cheap ATX supplies have all outputs
tied together, so an attempt to change one output, has an
impact on all of them. You would need a power supply with
separately regulated outputs and an external adjustment
for the outputs.

This one is adjustable, but only +/- 5%, which is hardly worth
the effort. That would get 3.3V to only 3.45V. There may be
other brands that are adjustable as well, but it is hard to
come up with specific search terms for a search engine to find
them.

http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/Truecontrol_us.pdf

For the money you would spend on a fancy power supply, it is
probably cheaper to buy another motherboard :)

HTH,
Paul

Rasmus Einarsson schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a CUBX-E motherboard and a Radeon 8500LE 128.
> I have quite bad performance on the graphics card, and I guess it
> would get better and more stable if I managed to raise the I/O voltage
> a bit.

Nonsense. That would only help if you experienced instability due to,
say, insufficient memory supply voltage or an overclocked chipset. (I
know that the BX manages 150 MHz with 3.5 V I/O, no idea about 3.3 V.)
It certainly doesn't help with graphics card performance issues!

> At the moment, my 3.3v lies steady at 3.26-3.28.

That's perfectly in spec, which is +/- 5% for the positive ATX supply
voltages.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W