FX5900 v 9800 pro.

The title speaks for itself..... I need a graphics card that can easily
play CSS and HL2 and won't break the back. I have these two items in my
short list but any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Specs are :-

266 fsb Gigabyte motherboard
512 mb ddr ram
2400 xp CPU
Currently running a GF3

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Go for the 9800 pro for DX9 performance in CSS and HL2.
The FX5900 is a DX8 card and will take a performance hit when running it in
DX9 mode compared to the 9800 pro.

David Barkham <moggy@putah.plus.com> wrote in message
> The title speaks for itself..... I need a graphics card that can easily
> play CSS and HL2 and won't break the back. I have these two items in my
> short list but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Specs are :-
>
> 266 fsb Gigabyte motherboard
> 512 mb ddr ram
> 2400 xp CPU
> Currently running a GF3

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

David Barkham <moggy@putah.plus.com> wrote in message
> The title speaks for itself..... I need a graphics card that can easily
> play CSS and HL2 and won't break the back. I have these two items in my
> short list but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Specs are :-
>
> 266 fsb Gigabyte motherboard
> 512 mb ddr ram
> 2400 xp CPU
> Currently running a GF3

Also, if you can stretch to it, get yourself another stick of 512 mb ddr ram
to make your system total of 1gb.
CSS and HL2 love to run in 1 GB ram, apparently.
I've had excellent value and service from this company, for memory modules
in particular:

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=3153

Uzi

"Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message news:428317f2$0$84127$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com...

> David Barkham <moggy@putah.plus.com> wrote in message
>> The title speaks for itself..... I need a graphics card that can easily
>> play CSS and HL2 and won't break the back. I have these two items in my
>> short list but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Specs are :-
>>
>> 266 fsb Gigabyte motherboard
>> 512 mb ddr ram
>> 2400 xp CPU
>> Currently running a GF3

Ati 800XL is a pretty sweet bang for the buck card.
I'm still using a 9800pro and don't have any problems
with those games.

Thx guys, i'm watching a load of ATI 9800 Pro's on Ebay now. Should have one
within the week. Uzi, when i looked into it nvidia say the 5900 has direct x
9 support. Looked around for the X800XL but couldn't find any in my price
range. Oh and Loo, if you are going to upgrade and you got the money, get
the X850 XT PE. My god this things fast!

Anyway, thx again guys. David

"LeeLoo" <nospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> "Uzi" <rapandrandb@suks.com> wrote in message
>>
>> David Barkham <moggy@putah.plus.com> wrote in message
>>> The title speaks for itself..... I need a graphics card that can
>>> easily
>>> play CSS and HL2 and won't break the back. I have these two items in my
>>> short list but any other suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Specs are :-
>>>
>>> 266 fsb Gigabyte motherboard
>>> 512 mb ddr ram
>>> 2400 xp CPU
>>> Currently running a GF3
>
> Ati 800XL is a pretty sweet bang for the buck card.
> I'm still using a 9800pro and don't have any problems
> with those games.

Andrew

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:22:43 +0100, "David Barkham"
<moggy@putah.plus.com> wrote:

>Thx guys, i'm watching a load of ATI 9800 Pro's on Ebay now. Should have one
>within the week. Uzi, when i looked into it nvidia say the 5900 has direct x
>9 support.

It has DX9 support, but it is slow compared to ATI or 6 series NVidia
cards.

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

Andrew <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:22:43 +0100, "David Barkham"
> <moggy@putah.plus.com> wrote:
>
> >Thx guys, i'm watching a load of ATI 9800 Pro's on Ebay now. Should have
one
> >within the week. Uzi, when i looked into it nvidia say the 5900 has
direct x
> >9 support.
>
> It has DX9 support, but it is slow compared to ATI or 6 series NVidia
> cards.
> --

A common problem with PC card manufacturers nowadays...the word 'support' is
nonconcise.
The Nvidia unified display driver 'supports' all recent DX versions, but the
5900 hardware itself was designed and optimised around DX8 code path
acceleration specifically and thus is slower when rendering in DX9 mode then
the 9800pro chip.

Uzi