Sign in with
Your question

"System Reserved" questions

Last response: in Windows 7
January 17, 2011 9:37:57 PM

I’m a little confused about the “System Reserved” partition Windows 7 creates. I’ve seen some discussion about this here and elsewhere on the web but some of my questions still linger.

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 pro installed. (I had the computer store assemble my selected parts and install Win 7).

I had two recent WD 1 gig hard drives installed. The disk manager screen showing partitions (in computer management) shows the following:

Disk 1 has The C: drive (Healthy , Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)] and my E: partition (Healthy, Primary Partition).

Disk 2 has a partition labeled “System Reserved” (Healthy, System, Active, Primary Partition). It also has my G:, H: and D: partitions.

(My bios shows the drives in Channel 3 & 4. I think they were attached to a SATA 6 gig controller. I also have a Disk 0 which I added but is not material to this discussion.)

My questions are:

What is the “ System Reserved” partition on Disk 2? What does it contain? If I make a system image (Disk 1) should I included the “System Reserved” partition as Acronis suggests?

If I want to clone my System Disk (to install a SSD or Hybrid drive what do I need to do?

If Disk 2 was removed would my system boot?

(Moral: Install Windows 7 with only one drive attached?)
a c 215 $ Windows 7
January 17, 2011 10:04:06 PM

The 100MB reserved partition is for use with BitLocker. If you turn BitLocker on, this partition is needed to properly boot your machine. It also contains a copy of the recovery environment that you can boot into in the event that your Windows install has problems booting.

If you remove this partition, you will not be able to use BitLocker until you back up your data, wipe the machine, and reinstall Windows from scratch. Removing that partition will also render that recover environment in accessible. In order to get to it after removing the 100MB partition, you would need to boot from the copy stored on the Windows install DVD, or create a repair disk via the "Create System Repair Disk" utility available via the Start Menu.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:55:43 AM

my question is similar but i am not sure your answer applies to me also.

i had 2 partitions. c and d. c was my main with everything on it (same as the person above). d had no data saved but had a seperate space for this reserve windows dada (again, mentioned above). i deleted the partition d and extended c to encompass it. the extra space for the windows piece seemed to still be entact when this was complete.

when i shut down for the night and turned on the pc the next day, it could to boot. was able to f4 it and recover the boot to get in to the system itself.

my problem now is that it appears windows has lost itself. i can get on to the internet (logs on automatically) and i can get a web page open. i cannot open any other links or start up menus. nothing works. i cant even shut down without holding the button down.

i have tried several different recoveries on the actual laptop but nothing has worked.

if i use a windows 7 recovery disc (that came with the lappy), will that work to fix the issue with out losing all of my other data?

my main problem is that i travel for work and i wont be home for several days yet, but i need this now. is there any website that has a recovery disc i can download (assuming it will work based on your previous answer)?

is there any way to NOT have to do a complete reinstall? i do not have a full windows 7 disc as it came already loaded on the pc.

i see that what windows i can view shows that it is indeed installed on C, like i had expected. i just do not know why it is not working if i did not remove c!

i am only partially pc literate. i had asked a professional about how to do the partition and followed the directions exactly as told.

any ideas would be helpful.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:51:23 AM

tablete android
The_Prophecy said:
The 100MB reserved partition is for use with BitLocker. If you turn BitLocker on, this partition is needed to properly boot your machine. It also contains a copy of the recovery environment that you can boot into in the event that your Windows install has problems booting.

If you remove this partition, you will not be able to use BitLocker until you back up your data, wipe the machine, and reinstall Windows from scratch. Removing that partition will also render that recover environment in accessible. In order to get to it after removing the 100MB partition, you would need to boot from the copy stored on the Windows install DVD, or create a repair disk via the "Create System Repair Disk" utility available via the Start Menu.

Thanks for sharing, I recently started to use win 7 in my office, but I can't handle it well cuz I always use xp in the past...
m
l
!