Constantly corrupting registry

Andy

I'm at my wits end now but here it goes .....

I have been getting corrupted registry errors quite
regularly but without a specific cause that I can tell
even after a fresh install of XP Pro.

I did a fresh install of XP Pro (including redoing the
partitions [1 partion c:\ is 30 GB for windows only, the
2nd partion D:\ is 70 GB and all applications are
installed and run from it] on my 100 GB master HD) and
then shortly after that about a week later I started to
get registry crashes. I repaired those as per the
instructions listed in the MS knowledge base (KB 307545)
and managed to get things working again, then 2 days later
it crashed again and I did another fresh install including
reformating the C: drive. This time I changed the power
management from ACPI to Standard PC prior to install
because I thought maybe it was a IRQ conflict and ACPI
auto-assigns the IRQs (Soundcard and ACPI were sharing
IRQ9 as well as my D_link NIC and the USB controllers were
sharing IRQ5). This last crash occured with basically
nothing on the C: drive other than standard XP files and
the drivers installed.

The crash is usually (but not exclusively) occuring after
the computer has been idle and the monitor has been in
sleep mode, the light on my USB mouse is also usually
off. It has also occured when running programs like IE
and OE, the screen locks up and you have to do a manual
reset. I also get the odd random sound lock up as well.
I've had stretches of weeks without any problems or even 2
registry crashes within days.

I have downloaded the diagnostic programs from Western
Digital to check the condition of my hard drives and they
come up fine. The drivers for all my hardware is
downloaded from the manufacturer's own sites and are the
most current. My BIOS is also the most current version
available for the MB as well as the newest VIA drivers are
also installed. Windows XP was also updated with all the
current critical downloads. I've also run Mem-Check and
the MS RAM tester to rule out the possibility that it
might be faulty RAM.

I've pretty much ruled the problem to be a hardware
problem but all my hardware comes up good when I do tests
on them.

I run chkdsk on my partions fairly regularly now and they
keep coming up with problems.

My System:
Custom Build
Asus A7v266-E MB , AMD XP2100+, 1 GB PC2100 DDR RAM
(2x256MB, 1x512MB), Asus 9600XT 128 MB, 100 GB WD HD
(master), 30 GB WD HD(slave), XP Pro SP1a + current
updates, D-link538 NIC, Hercules Fortissimo 7.1 Sound
card, Enermax 350W PSU, 2 extra 80mm case fans. The unit
is also plugged into a UPS.

Remove temporarily the 2 strips of 256 memory and run it on just the 512
strip.
I had those problems when I had 2 strips of memory that did not cooperate.