AMD vs celeron

Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
recommendations please....

==============

Ed

On 12 Jul 2004 20:20:00 -0400, jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid
(TeXaS68) wrote:

>Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
>back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
>at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
> Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
>recommendations please....

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1927
http://www.anandtech.com/guides/showdoc.html?i=2077
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/value-cpus.html

Cheers,
Ed

"TeXaS68" <jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
> back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The
guy
> at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD
burner.
> Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
> recommendations please....

The AMD Athlon is far superior to the Intel Celeron, it's even better
than the Pentium 4 in many respects. That said, I can't see how you'd
have trouble burning DVDs with a Celeron system.

Yes, AMD Athlon XP's sometimes outperforms P4's, and if they don't
outperform, they come close. Intel Celerons are about as junky as they
come. AMD has a much better performance/price ratio.
"Peter A. Stavrakoglou" <ntotrr@optonline.net> wrote in message
> "TeXaS68" <jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> > Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
> > back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The
> guy
> > at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD
> burner.
> > Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
> > recommendations please....
>
> The AMD Athlon is far superior to the Intel Celeron, it's even better
> than the Pentium 4 in many respects. That said, I can't see how you'd
> have trouble burning DVDs with a Celeron system.

Paul

Splendid

In article <40f32ab0_1@news.athenanews.com>,
jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (TeXaS68) wrote:

> Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
> back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
> at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
> Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
> recommendations please....
>
> ==============

I'm an Intel guy, and if you are on a budget, AthlonXP is the way
to go.

I guess the question is, what is the guy at Best Buy trying to sell
you ? Beige boxes from big retailers can contain stuff you don't
want or need, or can be under-equipped in areas that you do need.
For me, the scariest part of what is inside those beige boxes, is
what is used for motherboard chipsets - when you buy your own
motherboard, for example, you can look in groups.google.com for
which chipsets are good and which are unstable.

People in this group generally build their own systems, and we
cannot match the prices of a big retailer, so building your own
system is not a way to save money. If, on the other hand, you
cannot get the mix of hardware you want, then building your
own is a possible solution.

Since your application is focused on DVD burning, I think before
you buy anything, you need to do a little reading on working with
DVDs. Before Christmas, I got it in my head to give a non-technically
inclined family member a DVD burner. The intention was to use the
burner for backups (because we all know how many people have no
backup strategy for their computers). I figured DVD burners
were mature and trouble free. Well, I ended up buying about $100
worth of samples of media, before I found some that worked well
enough to give as a gift. I ended up buying a copy of Nero, as
it had the ability to analyze media for raw errors, and that
is how I determined which media stunk, and which was acceptable.

I think in the end, I probably sunk over $500 CDN into the whole
project, which was grossly over budget. I had hoped the bundled
software with the drive would be good enough, but it wasn't.

DVD burning. Get them to select DVD disk media and demonstrate to
you, how easy the bundled software is to use, and then have them
transfer the DVD disk to another computer, so you can see how
trouble free and smooth it is to read back after being burned.

Of all the applications I could think of to do with a computer,
this is about the last one that would be on my list now, in
terms of money spent, and benefit gained. My CDRW, by comparison,
has been a dream. After giving that DVD burner as a gift, I
don't plan on buying a DVD burner for myself any time soon.
(At least until I have bags of cash to waste.)

The trick with burners is, to stay away from the bleeding edge
stuff. If you buy a Pioneer, for example, some models are
definitely a step behind in terms of burning speed, but are
better at handling cheap media.

As I choose to forget most of what I learned in that experience,
I recommend visiting http://www.cdfreaks.com for review articles,
and club.cdfreaks.com for the user forums. In the forums are
a few people who pirate DVDs for a living, burning 1000's of them.
Pay particular attention to what gear they recommend for burning,
because they want every disk they burn to be a good one - no
"coasters". The speed of the burners they use is 2x or 4x slower
than the bleeding edge stuff, but they run many burners
simultaneously, to pirate their stuff.

Some drive manufacturers have recommended media on their web sites,
but it can be difficult to find exactly the product they mention.
Again, the forums or the review articles may have suggestions as
to what works best.

If you are still interested in building your own computer, we'll
still be here when you are ready :)

Oh, another irritant at Best Buy, is the way they try to sell
LCD monitors to people. They never show the customer what text
documents look like on an LCD screen. They like to run a movie of
some sort on the monitors, or prevent the customer from using the
actual Windows desktop. Since you spend most of your time in the
Windows desktop, and quite a lot of time reading text and small
fonts, that is what should be demonstrated for you. Some of Best
Buy's competitors know the value of this. In any case, don't waste
money on an LCD monitor, as a CRT monitor has a larger color gamut
for Photoshop, and has fewer aliasing problems when you change
screen resolution. My LCD monitor, only looks good in its native
resolution of 1280x1024, so if the Best Buy guy sells you one, make
sure the "native resolution" of the unit you are buying, matches
your intended resolution setting. I tried to do a lot of research,
review reading, and sampling at local computer stores, but still
feel I got taken by the salesman (didn't buy it at Best Buy of
course). The LCD is compact, uses less power than a CRT, but is
otherwise inferior to the CRT tube it replaced.

HTH,
Paul

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Did he mention that your motherboard might accept only an Intel processor?
Check your mobo specs before buying anything.

TomC

"TeXaS68" <jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
> back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
> at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
> Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
> recommendations please....
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid (TeXaS68) astounded us with:

> Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
> back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
> at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
> Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
> recommendations please....

Even AMD's Duron is better than a Celeron...

Hi,

TeXaS68 <jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
#Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
#back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
#at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
# Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
#recommendations please....

The nicest thing about the Celeron, is you can yank it out and put in a
P4. :^) Just make sure you get a hyper-thread ready Motherboard and at
least DDR400/PC3200. If you are not building a system from scratch a lot
of factory Celery comes with "DDR memory" which probably means single
channel PC2100. :(

If you can't reliably burn a DVD with a modern Celeron, though, it is
time to unload all the shovelware that came with the box and load up
some quality DVD burner s/w.

Ken.
Mail: kmarsh at charm dot net | Close the VT SVC Ctr boondoggle and
WWW: http://www.charm.net/~kmarsh | return services to local CIS offices!

In article <fBRIc.3$fS2.1005@news.abs.net>, kmarsh@fellspt.charm.net
says...
> The nicest thing about the Celeron, is you can yank it out and put in a
> P4. :^) Just make sure you get a hyper-thread ready Motherboard and at
> least DDR400/PC3200. If you are not building a system from scratch a lot
> of factory Celery comes with "DDR memory" which probably means single
> channel PC2100. :(

That is a nice thing about the Intel boards, just make sure that you get
a newer Celeron and that the board does support the P4 also.

> If you can't reliably burn a DVD with a modern Celeron, though, it is
> time to unload all the shovelware that came with the box and load up
> some quality DVD burner s/w.

Yea, it's amazing what people will do while ripping a CD/DVD, about the
only time you can really keep working while ripping CD/DVD's is when you
run a Dual CPU system. Don't get me wrong, I have a single P4 in this
machine and Dual DVD+/-RW drives and never made a coaster while working
with Office 2003 or Page Maker 6 at the same time, but I sure don't let
all that memory hungry spyware get installed either.

It was interesting to read all of the testing methods and results, but
as we all know, the Celeron is the lowest end of the Intel line, and you
can make test results say anything you want.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

> [...]
| Windows desktop, and quite a lot of time reading text and small
| fonts, that is what should be demonstrated for you. Some of Best
| Buy's competitors know the value of this. In any case, don't waste
| money on an LCD monitor, as a CRT monitor has a larger color gamut
| for Photoshop, and has fewer aliasing problems when you change
| screen resolution. My LCD monitor, only looks good in its native
| resolution of 1280x1024, so if the Best Buy guy sells you one, make
| sure the "native resolution" of the unit you are buying, matches
| your intended resolution setting. I tried to do a lot of research,
| review reading, and sampling at local computer stores, but still
| feel I got taken by the salesman (didn't buy it at Best Buy of
| course). The LCD is compact, uses less power than a CRT, but is
| otherwise inferior to the CRT tube it replaced.

I hereby move this group to bestow an MVP (most valuable person/pro)
award on you Paul. You consistently take the time to post fully
detailed and accurate info for every person you help. Oftentimes you
obtain info for others via search engines that could readily be found
if the OP gave it a try. The time spent in compiling your replies is
obviously more than any person should be expected to donate.
Here-Here, I raise my frosty mug to you in a toast to one of the best,
if not the best, usenet tech helper around these parts (and other
parts).

Oh, and thx for the info on DVD burner headaches, I'm still waiting to
make my first DVD burner purchase, and your info was of great
assistance.

As to the questions by the OP, I would think a celeron (recent
vintage) or Duron/XP cpu would burn DVDs w/o problems. As to the best
bargain, a Duron 1600 or 1800 is a great bargain and should work
nicely. If you want a cheapie mobo upgrade, checkout the refurb
department at www.newegg.com

--
Best regards,
Kyle

petebert

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003

if you're just going to be burning cd's and browsing the internet celeron
will work just fine, if you play any video games I'd go AMD.

"TeXaS68" <jbrady00@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Which is the better processor to use with a DVD burner? I want to
> back up my home videos to dvd's and just want to burn dvd's. The guy
> at best buy said the celeron will not work as good with a DVD burner.
> Is this true, do I need a AMD. I am on a budget, new baby.
> recommendations please....
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

TomC

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Seconded.

TomC

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Yea, it's amazing what people will do while ripping a CD/DVD, about the
> only time you can really keep working while ripping CD/DVD's is when you
> run a Dual CPU system. Don't get me wrong, I have a single P4 in this
> machine and Dual DVD+/-RW drives and never made a coaster while working
> with Office 2003 or Page Maker 6 at the same time, but I sure don't let
> all that memory hungry spyware get installed either.

Or have two computers and a switch to use either.
Then you can have the 'DVD' computer capture, convert, and burn while you
surf on the other computer.
Works for me! :)
later,
dave

In article <cH%Ic.926$rr5.219@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, NO_vwdoc1
_SPAM_@hotmail.com_PLEASE says...

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Yea, it's amazing what people will do while ripping a CD/DVD, about the
> > only time you can really keep working while ripping CD/DVD's is when you
> > run a Dual CPU system. Don't get me wrong, I have a single P4 in this
> > machine and Dual DVD+/-RW drives and never made a coaster while working
> > with Office 2003 or Page Maker 6 at the same time, but I sure don't let
> > all that memory hungry spyware get installed either.
>
> Or have two computers and a switch to use either.
> Then you can have the 'DVD' computer capture, convert, and burn while you
> surf on the other computer.
> Works for me! :)

Only it doesn't work that way for most people - it's like adding a
second hard drive to backup your first drive too: Most people use the
second drive, or computer in your example, for more than the original
intended task.

A Hyper-Threaded P4 or a Dual P4 or Dual P3 makes a great machine for
doing more than one thing at a time.

I have a Dual P3/1ghz, a Dual Xeon, and a Dual Celeron 500 (Abit BP6)
running that all still perform quite well. With the cost of motherboards
for Duals being so cheap, it's almost crazy to not get a Dual CPU board
and Dual CPU's if you think you are going to need the horse-power.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)