Face to face with the 2nd step....

jeffp

like a chijuaja on the steps of the capital.....

MB = A7N8X-E
CPU = AMD 2800+

This mb has two RJ54's, with the system off but power to the PS, the PS
indicator on the mb lit, I get one light in the NIC port, the other doesn't
light.

I've installed the All_In drivers that came, then unistalled and now I'm doing
all the MS Security Updates and when I'm finished I'll install the Nvida
drivers.

I'm OK with the one 10/100 nic, but I'm wondering why I'd need a dirver to make
a nic hot?

JeffP....

jeffp

Thanks to all who posted....

I removed all the drivers that came with the Asus mb and used the Nvidia drivers
from their website.

I then lost most of my control of the system, I'm not using a keyboard or mouse,
but TS to control.

I put the system back on the workbench where I have a monitor, keyboard and
mouse, burned a CD and droped the Nvidia drivers on.

I then restored the system back to its place w/out the GigaLan working, but the
10/100 nic was....

I then played with it for awhile and gave up. Then just for shits-and-giggles,
I ran WindowsUpdate which ironically added a driver update and cured the
GigaLan.

JeffP.....

JeffP wrote:
> like a chijuaja on the steps of the capital.....
>
> MB = A7N8X-E
> CPU = AMD 2800+
>
> This mb has two RJ54's, with the system off

....and presumably, with the system on, the backplate doesn't change.

> but power to the PS, the PS
> indicator on the mb lit, I get one light in the NIC port, the other
> doesn't light.

The second light on the same NIC or the same light on the second NIC? Why
don't you give us colours?

> I've installed the All_In drivers that came, then unistalled and now I'm
> doing all the MS Security Updates and when I'm finished I'll install the
> Nvida drivers.

What are the All_In drivers? And why on earth did you uninstall them after
installing them?

> I'm OK with the one 10/100 nic, but I'm wondering why I'd need a dirver
> to make a nic hot?

hot?

I have no idea what your problem is, please restate it.

If you have a NIC that is not working, try downloading and installing the
latest drivers for both NICs:

nVidia 4.24 platform drivers (Win2K/XP)
3Com Drivers.

Check my FAQ for links.