Email: pop3 server certificate invalid msg.

June 12, 2004 2:42:11 PM

Hardware: iPAQ 4355
OS: Pocket PC 2003 4.20.0 (Build 13252)

Problem: After setting up a pop3 email account in Inbox,
I receive an error message stating that "The server
certificate is invalid. Continue anyway?" with buttons
for "Yes" and "No". Pressing "Yes" will will put the
routine into a loop repeatedly asking for user name and
password, while pressing "No" will abort the connect
process.

The problem exists for both of my pop3 email acocunts -
corporate email hosted by usa.net and personal email
hosted by comcast.net, so I do not believe the problem is
particular to one account. The problem also exists
whether I am attempting to access those accounts over a
GPRS phone via Bluetooth, WLAN or ActiveSync connections.
I am certain that the account information used to set up
the pop3 accounts within Inbox is correct as it is the
same information used on my PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition
device which functioned flawlessly.

In researching this problem over the last 3 days, I
downloaded, installed and ran the AS_CERT_OFF.CAB file on
my iPAQ 4355 without effect. The error message still
appears.

Any help with this problem will be most appreciated!
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 9:33:04 PM

The AS_Cert_off file is for use with exchange server activesync. I'm not
sure what's causing the problem, you may have to add a trust cert from the
system you want to connect to into your ppc.

rights...

"MLCavassa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hardware: iPAQ 4355
> OS: Pocket PC 2003 4.20.0 (Build 13252)
>
> Problem: After setting up a pop3 email account in Inbox,
> I receive an error message stating that "The server
> certificate is invalid. Continue anyway?" with buttons
> for "Yes" and "No". Pressing "Yes" will will put the
> routine into a loop repeatedly asking for user name and
> password, while pressing "No" will abort the connect
> process.
>
> The problem exists for both of my pop3 email acocunts -
> corporate email hosted by usa.net and personal email
> hosted by comcast.net, so I do not believe the problem is
> particular to one account. The problem also exists
> whether I am attempting to access those accounts over a
> GPRS phone via Bluetooth, WLAN or ActiveSync connections.
> I am certain that the account information used to set up
> the pop3 accounts within Inbox is correct as it is the
> same information used on my PocketPC 2002 Phone Edition
> device which functioned flawlessly.
>
> In researching this problem over the last 3 days, I
> downloaded, installed and ran the AS_CERT_OFF.CAB file on
> my iPAQ 4355 without effect. The error message still
> appears.
>
> Any help with this problem will be most appreciated!
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 2:33:23 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Installing the as_cert_off file was
a "can't-hurt-to-try-it" attempt at fixing the problem.
I'd already tried everything else I could think of by
that point.

2 questions: how do I get the pop3 server trust
certificates from usa.net and comcast.net and, assuming
that I can get them, how do I install them on my PPC?

Thanks again!

confers no

!