Freezing in Game

Last response: in Video Games
May 13, 2005 8:25:38 PM

Ok - finally after 2 years I decide I want to play CS again. After figuring
out Steam (sort of), buying a used version of Half-Life (US$10), letting Steam
update to 1.6, relearning the controls - I think I'm finally ready.

*But* - every single server I've tried (with my pings from 20 to 50), I just
freeze for up to 30 seconds, the little red "Warning: Connection Problems"
shows in the upper right hand, and then I wake up dead. I've fiddled with the
settings some and downloaded the latest drivers. Always the same - on every
server.

My machine is old, but it was *more* than enough for 1.5 - and never had these
problems. My box:

nForce 1
1.1 GB AMD Athlon
256 RAM
Win2000 Pro

Any suggestions besides the ones I get from people in the game? "Get a better
computer!" Not an option right now. I *really* want to play again! Any
help?

Lew

More about : freezing game

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 9:02:33 PM

"Lewis Thomas" <lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote in message
> Ok - finally after 2 years I decide I want to play CS again. After
> figuring
> out Steam (sort of), buying a used version of Half-Life (US$10), letting
> Steam
> update to 1.6, relearning the controls - I think I'm finally ready.
>
> *But* - every single server I've tried (with my pings from 20 to 50), I
> just
> freeze for up to 30 seconds, the little red "Warning: Connection Problems"
> shows in the upper right hand, and then I wake up dead. I've fiddled with
> the
> settings some and downloaded the latest drivers. Always the same - on
> every
> server.
>
> My machine is old, but it was *more* than enough for 1.5 - and never had
> these
> problems. My box:
>
> nForce 1
> 1.1 GB AMD Athlon
> 256 RAM
> Win2000 Pro
>
> Any suggestions besides the ones I get from people in the game? "Get a
> better
> computer!" Not an option right now. I *really* want to play again! Any
> help?
>
> Lew

Check this (ridiculously long) link from Steampowered.com support pages:

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...*&p_li=&p_topview=1

or use this shorter one:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2FE5221B
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:27:26 PM

On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:02:33 -0400, "KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net>
scribbled:

>"Lewis Thomas" <lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote in message
>> Ok - finally after 2 years I decide I want to play CS again. After
>> figuring
>> out Steam (sort of), buying a used version of Half-Life (US$10), letting
>> Steam
>> update to 1.6, relearning the controls - I think I'm finally ready.
>>
>> *But* - every single server I've tried (with my pings from 20 to 50), I
>> just
>> freeze for up to 30 seconds, the little red "Warning: Connection Problems"
>> shows in the upper right hand, and then I wake up dead. I've fiddled with
>> the
>> settings some and downloaded the latest drivers. Always the same - on
>> every
>> server.
>>
>> My machine is old, but it was *more* than enough for 1.5 - and never had
>> these
>> problems. My box:
>>
>> nForce 1
>> 1.1 GB AMD Athlon
>> 256 RAM
>> Win2000 Pro
>>
>> Any suggestions besides the ones I get from people in the game? "Get a
>> better
>> computer!" Not an option right now. I *really* want to play again! Any
>> help?
>>
>> Lew
>
>Check this (ridiculously long) link from Steampowered.com support pages:
>
>http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...*&p_li=&p_topview=1
>
>or use this shorter one:
>
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2FE5221B

Thanks much, KCB. I did lower the rate in-game and that seemed to help some,
so I think the rate.cfg file might do the trick. However, not being the most
adept computer person, I have no idea what I need to do. Does this go in the
old Half-life/cstrike folder (of which I have changed auth #'s since that
installment), the "Sierra On-line" folder? I can't even seem to find where
Steam is installed.

A search of my comp shows no "userconfig.cfg" file anywhere.

Once I get it in where ever it needs to be, do I get in a game, pull down the
console and type "vslow" and try it out then?

Sheesh - oh for the days of just installing and start playing.

Thanks again,
Lew
June 12, 2005 5:49:22 PM

> On Fri, 13 May 2005 17:02:33 -0400, "KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net>
> scribbled:
>

>>"Lewis Thomas" <lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote in message
>>> Ok - finally after 2 years I decide I want to play CS again. After
>>> figuring
>>> out Steam (sort of), buying a used version of Half-Life (US$10), letting
>>> Steam
>>> update to 1.6, relearning the controls - I think I'm finally ready.
>>>
>>> *But* - every single server I've tried (with my pings from 20 to 50), I
>>> just
>>> freeze for up to 30 seconds, the little red "Warning: Connection
>>> Problems"
>>> shows in the upper right hand, and then I wake up dead. I've fiddled
>>> with
>>> the
>>> settings some and downloaded the latest drivers. Always the same - on
>>> every
>>> server.
>>>
>>> My machine is old, but it was *more* than enough for 1.5 - and never had
>>> these
>>> problems. My box:
>>>
>>> nForce 1
>>> 1.1 GB AMD Athlon
>>> 256 RAM
>>> Win2000 Pro
>>>
>>> Any suggestions besides the ones I get from people in the game? "Get a
>>> better
>>> computer!" Not an option right now. I *really* want to play again!
>>> Any
>>> help?
>>>
>>> Lew
>>
>>Check this (ridiculously long) link from Steampowered.com support pages:
>>
>>http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...*&p_li=&p_topview=1
>>
>>or use this shorter one:
>>
>>http://makeashorterlink.com/?W2FE5221B
>>

> Thanks much, KCB. I did lower the rate in-game and that seemed to help
> some,
> so I think the rate.cfg file might do the trick. However, not being the
> most
> adept computer person, I have no idea what I need to do. Does this go in
> the
> old Half-life/cstrike folder (of which I have changed auth #'s since that
> installment), the "Sierra On-line" folder? I can't even seem to find
> where
> Steam is installed.
>
> A search of my comp shows no "userconfig.cfg" file anywhere.

You need to create it.

> Once I get it in where ever it needs to be, do I get in a game, pull down
> the
> console and type "vslow" and try it out then?

The script shown appears to bind the changes to the F2 key. I'm sure you
can modify it to work how you like.

> Sheesh - oh for the days of just installing and start playing.
>
> Thanks again,
> Lew

Sorry, I haven't read thru all the details, but look in "C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\..." .
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 6:43:36 PM

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:49:22 -0400, "KCB" <kcbairdREMOVE@THIScomcast.net>
scribbled:

>"Lewis Thomas" <lew_thomas@hotcrapmail.comcrap> wrote in message

SNIP

>> Thanks much, KCB. I did lower the rate in-game and that seemed to help
>> some,
>> so I think the rate.cfg file might do the trick. However, not being the
>> most
>> adept computer person, I have no idea what I need to do. Does this go in
>> the
>> old Half-life/cstrike folder (of which I have changed auth #'s since that
>> installment), the "Sierra On-line" folder? I can't even seem to find
>> where
>> Steam is installed.
>>
>> A search of my comp shows no "userconfig.cfg" file anywhere.
>
>You need to create it.

That makes sense.

>> Once I get it in where ever it needs to be, do I get in a game, pull down
>> the
>> console and type "vslow" and try it out then?
>
>The script shown appears to bind the changes to the F2 key. I'm sure you
>can modify it to work how you like.

LOL - that's doubtful, but I'll play with it for awhile.

>> Sheesh - oh for the days of just installing and start playing.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Lew
>>
>Sorry, I haven't read thru all the details, but look in "C:\Program
>Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\..." .

Oh man - what a major brainfart. Valve - *of course*!!

Thanks again. Maybe one of these days I'll even get to try the game again!

--
Lew
!