K8V SE Deluxe. system speech diagnostics query?

Mike

Splendid

Hi guys..

I've seen a few posts regarding getting the boot diagnostics speech working
with this board. ie. ensuring the 2 jumpers are connected on the FP_AUDIO
connector.

I have a Audigy 2 LS card fitted, and while I am able to hear the speech on boot
through the onboard green line-out connector I don't get anything through the
Audigy outputs which obviously my speakers are connected to.

I have the speech enabled in the bios.

From what I gather from the posts, having those 2 jumpers in place should enable
me to get speech come through the Audigy.... is that right?

or do I need to link the output from the onboard green lineout to the Audigy
line out using a splitter plug?

Strangely.. contrary to the manual... my board did not have those 2 jumpers
already in place (none fitted) where the manual states they are on by default!
Weird..

Any suggestions.

Regards

Mike

Paul

Splendid

In article <qc8af0l7ncm3ipdnha3uifd4tdsn3l0fvk@4ax.com>, Mike
<dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi guys..
>
> I've seen a few posts regarding getting the boot diagnostics speech working
> with this board. ie. ensuring the 2 jumpers are connected on the FP_AUDIO
> connector.
>
> I have a Audigy 2 LS card fitted, and while I am able to hear the speech
> on boot through the onboard green line-out connector I don't get anything
> through the Audigy outputs which obviously my speakers are connected to.
>
> I have the speech enabled in the bios.
>
> From what I gather from the posts, having those 2 jumpers in place should
> enable me to get speech come through the Audigy.... is that right?
>
> or do I need to link the output from the onboard green lineout to the
> Audigy line out using a splitter plug?
>
> Strangely.. contrary to the manual... my board did not have those 2
> jumpers already in place (none fitted) where the manual states they are
> on by default! Weird..
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Regards
>

> Mike

The Voice POST will always come out of the Lineout jack on the back
of the computer, whether you use the Audigy or not. You normally
use the Voice POST if the computer will not POST. At that point,
move your amplified speakers from the output of the Audigy, to
the Lineout connector on the back of the computer.

Even if you connected Lineout to an input on the Audigy, you
wouldn't hear it until the computer was booted and the Audigy
was configured by its driver.

The splitter plug is an interesting idea, but if the Audigy was
my card and I paid a lot of money for it, I wouldn't try it.
Maybe someone with more analog design experience will know
whether it is safe to do that (tie two AC coupled outputs
together).

Perhaps you could find a tiny amplified speaker somewhere, that
can be installed inside the computer. I think I've seen a
solution for example, that fits in a drive tray.

HTH,
Paul

Mike

Splendid

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:30:28 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>The Voice POST will always come out of the Lineout jack on the back
>of the computer, whether you use the Audigy or not. You normally
>use the Voice POST if the computer will not POST. At that point,
>move your amplified speakers from the output of the Audigy, to
>the Lineout connector on the back of the computer.
>
>Even if you connected Lineout to an input on the Audigy, you
>wouldn't hear it until the computer was booted and the Audigy
>was configured by its driver.
>
>The splitter plug is an interesting idea, but if the Audigy was
>my card and I paid a lot of money for it, I wouldn't try it.
>Maybe someone with more analog design experience will know
>whether it is safe to do that (tie two AC coupled outputs
>together).
>
>Perhaps you could find a tiny amplified speaker somewhere, that
>can be installed inside the computer. I think I've seen a
>solution for example, that fits in a drive tray.
>
>HTH,
> Paul

Thanks Paul...

Your reply is what I suspected. I suppose its not really desirable anyway to
have that voice blaring out everytime you boot, and has you stated its no big
deal to swop the wires over in the event of a problem.

I notice BTW that the post speech is present on the on-board green line output
even if those two jumpers are not on.

Regards

Mike

Paul

Splendid

In article <fiicf0pkhpops1ehdttrq8qnu38rq6qo4g@4ax.com>, Mike
<dy73ui39aHe5@cableinet.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:30:28 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
>

> >The Voice POST will always come out of the Lineout jack on the back
> >of the computer, whether you use the Audigy or not. You normally
> >use the Voice POST if the computer will not POST. At that point,
> >move your amplified speakers from the output of the Audigy, to
> >the Lineout connector on the back of the computer.
> >
> >Even if you connected Lineout to an input on the Audigy, you
> >wouldn't hear it until the computer was booted and the Audigy
> >was configured by its driver.
> >
> >The splitter plug is an interesting idea, but if the Audigy was
> >my card and I paid a lot of money for it, I wouldn't try it.
> >Maybe someone with more analog design experience will know
> >whether it is safe to do that (tie two AC coupled outputs
> >together).
> >
> >Perhaps you could find a tiny amplified speaker somewhere, that
> >can be installed inside the computer. I think I've seen a
> >solution for example, that fits in a drive tray.
> >
> >HTH,
> > Paul
>
> Thanks Paul...
>
> Your reply is what I suspected. I suppose its not really desirable anyway to
> have that voice blaring out everytime you boot, and has you stated its no big
> deal to swop the wires over in the event of a problem.
>
> I notice BTW that the post speech is present on the on-board green line output
> even if those two jumpers are not on.
>
> Regards
>
> Mike

Thanks for that observation about the jumpers. That means the
capacitor that connects Voice POST to the lime colored Lineout
jack comes after the jumpers. It is one less thing to ask
people about in the future.

Paul