Using three hard drive

Hello,

At present I am running Win XP Pro, with 2 hard drives (40GB and 80GB); a CDRW drive and a CD ROM drive. My question is: Is it possible to install a third hard drive (10GB)?

My motherboard has two of the controlers (the thingamagig that the hard drive connect to), or is it three, cause I also have a floppy drive.

Please help.

Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about using hard drive

    Hi,

    You need a PCI to IDE adapter for the connection of the third Hdd.

    Peter

    ----- Moyah8 wrote: -----

    Hello,

    At present I am running Win XP Pro, with 2 hard drives (40GB and 80GB); a CDRW drive and a CD ROM drive. My question is: Is it possible to install a third hard drive (10GB)?

    My motherboard has two of the controlers (the thingamagig that the hard drive connect to), or is it three, cause I also have a floppy drive.

    Please help.

    Thanks

    Thanks.

    What is the name of this cable, and where is it connected? Is it connected as a replacement for the current cable, or is it to go on somwhere else?

    ??

    Thanks again

    Moyah8 wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > At present I am running Win XP Pro, with 2 hard drives (40GB and 80GB); a CDRW drive and a CD ROM drive. My question is: Is it possible to install a third hard drive (10GB)?
    >
    > My motherboard has two of the controlers (the thingamagig that the hard drive connect to), or is it three, cause I also have a floppy drive.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks

    HDs typically connect via IDE (a/k/a PATA) buses; FDs do not. So the
    presence of FD(s) don't affect the HD limits.

    Most MBs have a single IDE controller chip which drives two IDE buses,
    and each IDE bus can connect to two IDE devices. So, your PC is full.

    To add another HD, you must add a plug-in controller card: PCI-PATA,
    PCI-SATA, or PCI-SCSI. And, to add to your choices, some such cards
    also support RAID. SCSI is too expensive for most SOHO PCs, and RAID
    is overkill for SOHO PCs (except hard-core gamers and CAD users and
    the like). PCI-PATA is probably cheapest and is my first choice, but
    PCI-SATA lets you connect to SATA HDs which may be a better choice for
    your next PC.

    And, and PCI-PATA or PCI-SATA controller will present its HDs to the OS
    as SCSI HDs; don't worry about that.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Thanks for that Bob. It was all verrry technical, but I guess helpfull. Could you please simplyfi it has to what component I actually need?

    You need to buy a PCI card (to install in your PC) to act
    as an adapter enabling you to use an IDE (PATA) cable to
    connect your third hard drive to the card.

    Thanks, problem solved.

    I have purchased a "Ultra ATA 133 PCI RAID" card from Maplin for £19.99 and have made enquires from their technical staff, and was reassured that this is all that I need.

    Thanks a million again all for your replies / help.

    Go ot a PC store and ask them.. they will show you what you need..

    "Moyah8" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks.
    >
    > What is the name of this cable, and where is it connected? Is it
    connected as a replacement for the current cable, or is it to go on somwhere
    else?

    > ??
    >
    > Thanks again

Hard Drives Windows XP