P4C800-E Bios1016 and SATA

Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.

Bios 1016.

Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.

For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I reboot
and there it is again.

Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.

Thx

Leigh-Anne

--
This Email has been VIRUS Checked with Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional
Edition

MikeSp

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Using that same mobo, I have two SATA's using the Intel South Bridge RAID
controller (had them configured as RAID 0 and now as separate drives) and on
the South Bridge IDE channels, have one backup hard drive on the primary
channel and on secondary IDE channel are two optical drives and there are no
problems with drives not showing up.

Are you using the Promise or Intel controller or both? If the Intel only
(probably preferred) is used, is the Promise disabled in BIOS? Do all
drives show up in BIOS and in Device Manager and are they labeled "working
properly" if they show up in Device Manager? In BIOS if the Intel SATA
controller is being used, is SATA enabled? Perhaps all are silly questions,
but perhaps a start. Good luck

MikeSp
-----------------------------------
"Leigh-Anne Mills" <LeighAnne@One.Net> wrote in message
> Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
>
> Bios 1016.
>
> Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
> Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.
>
> For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I reboot
> and there it is again.
>
> Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.
>
> Thx
>
> Leigh-Anne
>

> --
> This Email has been VIRUS Checked with Norton AntiVirus 2004 Professional
> Edition

Paul

Splendid

In article <cd41jc$6mo$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, "Leigh-Anne Mills"
<LeighAnne@One.Net> wrote:

> Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
>
> Bios 1016.
>
> Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
> Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.
>
> For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I reboot
> and there it is again.
>
> Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.
>
> Thx
>
> Leigh-Anne

There have been some problems with recover from S3, with Hitachi
drives. The claim is, the drive doesn't spin up fast enough
before the BIOS times out. It could be this is a similar issue,
but during POST.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=znsyc.5832%24O4.5425%40newssvr22.news.prodigy.com

Apparently, Hitachi and Asus point fingers at one another, but I
haven't heard of a solution to fix it.

The only variable in the BIOS is "IDE Default Time Out" and 35
seconds is the default, and is also the maximum time offered. I
don't know if that setting would make a difference or not.

HTH,
Paul

Leigh-Anne Mills said the following on 2004-07-14 12:29:
> Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
>
> Bios 1016.
>
> Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
> Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.
>
> For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I reboot
> and there it is again.
>
> Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.
>
> Thx
>
> Leigh-Anne

I have same problem with 2 Hitachi SATA drives on the Intel raid
controller. On a cold boot the drives just click-click-click but are not
seen by the controller.

I usually have to warm reboot it (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and everything is fine.

I have one SATA 400GB drive on SATA connector 1 on intel side.

All show up in bios, just WIN XP Pro SP1 just does not see them from time to
time, it seems the Intel 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controller, when all
drives are working in windows there are 2 of these under Device Manager, but
sometimes only 1 shows and the SATA disappears, its not crossed or grayed
out. Just missing.

Might reinstall the intel chipset drivers again.

LA

"MikeSp" <mspurgeon5@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Using that same mobo, I have two SATA's using the Intel South Bridge RAID
> controller (had them configured as RAID 0 and now as separate drives) and
on
> the South Bridge IDE channels, have one backup hard drive on the primary
> channel and on secondary IDE channel are two optical drives and there are
no
> problems with drives not showing up.
>
> Are you using the Promise or Intel controller or both? If the Intel only
> (probably preferred) is used, is the Promise disabled in BIOS? Do all
> drives show up in BIOS and in Device Manager and are they labeled "working
> properly" if they show up in Device Manager? In BIOS if the Intel SATA
> controller is being used, is SATA enabled? Perhaps all are silly
questions,
> but perhaps a start. Good luck
>
> MikeSp
> -----------------------------------
> "Leigh-Anne Mills" <LeighAnne@One.Net> wrote in message
> > Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
> >
> > Bios 1016.
> >
> > Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
> > Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.
> >
> > For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I
reboot
> > and there it is again.
> >
> > Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.
> >
> > Thx
> >
> > Leigh-Anne
> >

> > --
> > This Email has been VIRUS Checked with Norton AntiVirus 2004
Professional
> > Edition

"Leigh-Anne Mills" <LeighAnne@One.Net> wrote in message
> Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
>
> Bios 1016.

There's a beta 1017 BIOS available.

In article <cd41jc$6mo$1@hercules.btinternet.com>,
LeighAnne@One.Net says...

> For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I reboot
> and there it is again.

FWIW, have you loaded the latest Intel IAA controller
software?
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?
agr=N&ProductID=1043&DwnldID=7476

or

http://tinyurl.com/6wubh

--
Murray

Leigh-Anne Mills wrote:

> Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
>
> Bios 1016.
>
> Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
> Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.
>
> For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I reboot
> and there it is again.
>
> Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.

I have a P4C800 Dlx with a 2 non-raid SATA drives. On cold boot, the
bios never detects the drives, I always have to ctl-alt-del and then it
works fine. This has happened with the last 4 bios versions.

Kenchie.

Thats what i am doing also now.

Have emailed ASUS support and Hitachi support..

Hitachi have asked for the following extra info.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately you haven't provided us with the following information as

requested:

Chipset manufacturer:

Intel 875 on a ASUS P4C800-E

Adapter cards installed:

XFX Geforce 5950 Ultra

Applications used (if relevant):

Win XP Pro SP1

Other devices in systems:

1 x DVD R/W 1x DVD Rom, 1 x IDE

Drive model / serial number:

Other Devices:

Drive C:

General Information :

Disk Type : Hard Disk

Peripheral Type : ATA

Model : IC35L180AVV207-1

Free Space : 91%

Drive Information :

Volume Name : Win XP 180GB

Files Name : 255 caractères

File Management : NTFS

Volume is Compressed : No

Case Sensitive Search : Yes

Preserves Filename Case : Yes

Unicode Filenames : Yes

Access Control List : Yes

Named Streams : Yes

Object Identifiers : Yes

Reparse Points : Yes

Sparse Files : Yes

User Disk Quotas : Yes

Individual File Compression : Yes

Encryption : Yes

Share : No

Logical Features :

Sectors per Cluster : 8

Bytes per Sector : 512

Cluster size : 4 KB

Free Clusters : 41373343

Total Clusters : 45233007

Physical Features :

Cylinders : 22526

Heads : 255

Sectors per Track : 63

Bytes per Sector : 512

Drive D:

General Information :

Disk Type : Hard Disk

Peripheral Type : ATA

Model : HDS724040KLSA80

Free Space : 93%

Drive Information :

Volume Name : 400GB SATA

Files Name : 255 caractères

File Management : NTFS

Volume is Compressed : No

Case Sensitive Search : Yes

Preserves Filename Case : Yes

Unicode Filenames : Yes

Access Control List : Yes

Named Streams : Yes

Object Identifiers : Yes

Reparse Points : Yes

Sparse Files : Yes

User Disk Quotas : Yes

Individual File Compression : Yes

Encryption : Yes

Share : No

Logical Features :

Sectors per Cluster : 8

Bytes per Sector : 512

Cluster size : 4 KB

Free Clusters : 91246158

Total Clusters : 97677200

Physical Features :

Cylinders : 48641

Heads : 255

Sectors per Track : 63

Bytes per Sector : 512

Drive E:

General Information :

Disk Type : CD-Rom Data

Peripheral Type : ATAPI

Model : JLMS XJ-HD166S

Free Space : 0%

Drive F:

General Information :

Disk Type : CD-Rom Data

Peripheral Type : ATAPI

Model : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-104

Free Space : 0%

List any error codes displayed during installation:

None, Drive is not detected, time out problem, i am not the only one with
this problem, do a internet search.

Leigh-Anne

"Kenchie" <me@here.com> wrote in message
> Leigh-Anne Mills wrote:
>
> > Just added a 400GB SATA HDD to my P4C800-E on SATA1.
> >
> > Bios 1016.
> >
> > Have an 180GB HDD IDE on IDE Primary. No Slave
> > Have a DVD R/W on IDE Secondary Martser, and a DVD Rom on Slave.
> >
> > For 50 precent of the time after boot the SATA drive is not seen. I
reboot
> > and there it is again.
> >
> > Has anyone had the same problem, if so any ideas for a Fix.
>
> I have a P4C800 Dlx with a 2 non-raid SATA drives. On cold boot, the
> bios never detects the drives, I always have to ctl-alt-del and then it
> works fine. This has happened with the last 4 bios versions.
>
> Kenchie.

I have today upgraded to a P4C800E-Deluxe, and it has cured the problem.

Kenchie.

In article <cd9qal$t7m$1@hercules.btinternet.com>, LeighAnne@One.Net
says...

> I have today upgraded to a P4C800E-Deluxe, and it has cured the problem.

Upgrade from what exactly? What problem was fixed by what upgrade exactly,
please?

Problem is now fixed, bios 1017 has been released.

Asus Tech was NO help, they throught it was a windows driver problem.

And I am still waiting on Hitachi............

Thx

Leigh-Anne