hard drive/boot problem on Windows XP

mb

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I've got a Gateway that crashed while performing a virus scan. 2 viruses were detected, but the machine rebooted before cleaning.

I get the message "A problem with the hard drive has been detected. Consult the Troubleshooting section of your user's manual. Press the Enter key to continue."

After pressing enter, I get the windows startup screen & can select safe mode, last known good config, etc. When selecting safe mode, it appears as though the Windows files begin to load. It reaches:

multi(0)disk(0)partition(1)\winnt\system32\drivers\agp440.sys.

A blue screen appears, but the system reboots before it can be read.

When using the recover console, the drive (c) can be seen, but a the dir command gives the message "An error occurred during directory enumeration."

diskpart shows the drive as unknown, but, as mentioned above, the files are seen during boot in safe mode.

I've tried fixboot & fixmbr, no help.
Chkdsk /r takes over a day to complete & doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Trying a reinstall will require a reformat since it sees the partition as unformatted. I'd like to keep the data on the drive.

bar

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

If you have access to a second PC, as evidenced by your posting, then connect the offending drive to the working PC.

Make sure that it has a fully up-to-date AntiVirus application and scan the drive for viruses. Make sure that all offending files are deleted. If using Norton's AV, then go to Reports section and make sure that you delete any files in quarantine and backup folders.

Reinstall the drive into the original PC and attempt a bootup.

mb

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2004

That was the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, after a 1 day chkdsk, the drive was only recognizeable as RAW & wouldn't scan with Norton.

How can I get the drive recognized by an XP OS?

Thanks

peter

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004

Hi,

I think your Hdd is in NTFS format. If the data files are very important to you, STOP doing anything and hand it to data recovery company. It is quite expensive and there is no 100% guaranty that all data can be recovered.

Also, try these links :
http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm

http://www.ontrack.com/

Good luck!

Peter

----- MB wrote: -----

That was the first thing I tried. Unfortunately, after a 1 day chkdsk, the drive was only recognizeable as RAW & wouldn't scan with Norton.

How can I get the drive recognized by an XP OS?

Thanks