floppy disc problem

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have a floppy disc that I have important data on. When I put it in to the floppy drive it will tell me the disc needs formatted and I know it has info on it that if I format I will lose. I have read some of these issues and now realise that a floppy disc is not reliable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

bar

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

Often it can be that the floppy drive and not the disk being a problem.

Try reading another disk in the drive, if it fails to read, confirm the suspicion of a faulty Floppy Drive not disk, by putting them in another floppy drive, say your laptop or a friends PC.

If it can be read on another PC then run down to your local PC shop and buy a new floppy drive: it takes less than 5 minutes to install and costs less than US$15.

G

Hi Bar. I tried another floppy in the drive and it works fine.
Is there any software that could help me???
----- BAR wrote: -----

Often it can be that the floppy drive and not the disk being a problem.

Try reading another disk in the drive, if it fails to read, confirm the suspicion of a faulty Floppy Drive not disk, by putting them in another floppy drive, say your laptop or a friends PC.

If it can be read on another PC then run down to your local PC shop and buy a new floppy drive: it takes less than 5 minutes to install and costs less than US$15.

peter

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004

Hi,

Try use a Win 98 PC to read the disk. May be it can be read.

It happened to me several timers that the floppy disk couldn't be read in an XP Pro machine (just 2 years old) and prompted me to format the disk. I use my other PC running Win 98 and it could read the disk.
I have 14 files on that floppy, the six years old floppy drive on my Win 98 PC can read 13 files and only 1 file is corrupted.
I copied the files to the Hdd and put back the floppy to my XP machine.
Again, XP prompted me to format the disk, when I select format, a message pop up saying that it could not be formatted.
I then chose quick format and it worked. I formatted the floppy again using standard format and it worked and the floppy can be use again without problem.
It seemed that XP is not so capable for handling floppy drive as well as file in Fat format that saved on the floppy or other removeable drive that use FAT format.
I uninstall the floppy drive and reinstall it again. This problem went away for the pass 4 months but I am not sure when will it come back again.

Anyway, the best practice is to save the file to the Hdd first then copy it to the floppy.

Peter

----- charliehorse wrote: -----

I have a floppy disc that I have important data on. When I put it in to the floppy drive it will tell me the disc needs formatted and I know it has info on it that if I format I will lose. I have read some of these issues and now realise that a floppy disc is not reliable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated