Flashing bios issue

Had a few problems with the pc locking up once every couple weeks or
so and one of the possible solutions seemed to be to update my bios.

So.......I flashed the bios and now have "bios rom checksum error" and
the system isn't loading a bios.

My complete log in screen reads
Award BootBlock Bios v1.0
Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

This is without the floppy in. If I pop the boot floppy in I can boot
to the floppy but it won't find any other drives.

I have an Asus p4b533-e motherboard.

And this has been done using the latest bios updates from the Asus
site (1014e.awd) and aflash.exe.
I've tried to revert back to older versions of the bios to no avail.

Any ideas? Is this recoverable by me?

Thanks for any and all help.

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 02:04:48 GMT, John Breslin <barbarian@net.com> wrote:

>Had a few problems with the pc locking up once every couple weeks or
>so and one of the possible solutions seemed to be to update my bios.
>
>So.......I flashed the bios and now have "bios rom checksum error" and
>the system isn't loading a bios.
>
>My complete log in screen reads
>Award BootBlock Bios v1.0
>Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.
>
>BIOS ROM checksum error
>
>Detecting floppy drive A media...
>INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
>
>This is without the floppy in. If I pop the boot floppy in I can boot
>to the floppy but it won't find any other drives.
>
>I have an Asus p4b533-e motherboard.
>
>And this has been done using the latest bios updates from the Asus
>site (1014e.awd) and aflash.exe.
>I've tried to revert back to older versions of the bios to no avail.
>
>Any ideas? Is this recoverable by me?
>
>Thanks for any and all help.

The flash didn't go well, one of the first things the bios does during POST is
to do a checksum on the flash boot block, and in your case it appears that is
failing.

Flash it again. Twice. Then go into the CMOS Setup Utility, record any
non-standard settings you may have configured there, and use the Set Defaults
function. Then reboot, go back in to the CMOS Setup Utility, and restore any
non-standard settings you require...

/daytripper

>The flash didn't go well, one of the first things the bios does during POST is
>to do a checksum on the flash boot block, and in your case it appears that is
>failing.
>
>Flash it again. Twice. Then go into the CMOS Setup Utility, record any
>non-standard settings you may have configured there, and use the Set Defaults
>function. Then reboot, go back in to the CMOS Setup Utility, and restore any
>non-standard settings you require...
>
>/daytripper

I have repeated the flash from the start....but by twice do you mean
without leaving the utility itself? Am I risking further problems by
repetively flashing?

Got past the bios issue by doing the complete bios - boot part and
all.

aflash /boot

Thanks for the reply..