Ok I want to put 1 gig on this board, whats the best memory to get? Crucial,
Kingston, Corsair????
Dont want to pay alot for performance that is not a huge difference. any
suggestions?

Rick

Paul

Splendid

In article <kOOdnYgojoERp2vdRVn-vw@comcast.com>, "Rick & Darlene"
<Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote:

> Ok I want to put 1 gig on this board, whats the best memory to get? Crucial,
> Kingston, Corsair????
> Dont want to pay alot for performance that is not a huge difference. any
> suggestions?
>
> Rick

Have you actually got the motherboard ? First of all, I cannot find
downloadable files for that board. Also, the Abit version of board
that uses the same chipset (Nforce 250GB) has been cancelled. If I
were you, I'd be searching the private forums, for any evidence that
the board exists in the wild.

This board would be nice, if it works. It should have a working
AGP/PCI lock, for example, which would make it a candidate for
some decent overclocking. This is a weakness with the AMD64
offerings right now - nothing wrong with stock operation, but
not as much fun as pushing a P4C/P4P through a 25% overclock.
I think a typical max over clock is going from 200MHz to 228MHz,
which is limited by the PCI moving from 33MHz to >37.5MHz.

Hmmm. I thought this board was going to be a Socket 939. It is
socket 754, and that means it is a single channel board. That is
why there are three DIMM slots on it. The advert here doesn't
mention dual channel:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=K8N-E%20Deluxe&langs=09

The purpose of the two colors of DIMM slots, is there is one
data bus and hence a single data channel. There are two address
busses, to inprove drive characteristics. One slot is driven
by one address bus, and the other two slots are driven by the
second address bus. The memory controller is inside the
processor, and so the characteristics (speed of DIMMs supported
etc) is a function of the processor and not the Northbridge
like on other boards.

If we had a manual, there would be some info about speed limits
when using all slots. If you do find a link to the downloadable
manual, please post the link.

AFAIK the socket 754 processors are relatively insensitive to
memory performance, so you don't have to spend a lot on premium
memory. I'd point you to some docs on the AMD site, but they've
ruined the documentation on their 64 bit processors, but making
the docs modular, and pointing the reader in circles when attempting
to find key info, like the speed versus slot limit on socket
754, for example. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the original copy
I downloaded from AMD, with the incriminating evidence, and the
table was removed from later releases.

If you want to see socket 754 population rules, see page 38 of:
ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v/e1421b_k8v_deluxe.pdf

If you do find a manual for K8N-E, it should have a similar
table.

HTH,
Paul

Yes I got the board! From ZipZoomFly.com Its sweet! Just reading up on the
manuals, it came with a ton of accesories and Dvd/CD software for video
editing too! Just need to get memory and a Athlon 64 cpu.

Rick

"Rick & Darlene" <Bluemagic@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<Tf-dnV6TcJhFMWvdRVn-gQ@comcast.com>...
> [...]
> > when using all slots. If you do find a link to the downloadable
> > manual, please post the link.
> >
> > AFAIK the socket 754 processors are relatively insensitive to
> > memory performance, so you don't have to spend a lot on premium
> > memory. I'd point you to some docs on the AMD site, but they've
> > ruined the documentation on their 64 bit processors, but making
> > the docs modular, and pointing the reader in circles when attempting
> > to find key info, like the speed versus slot limit on socket
> > 754, for example. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the original copy
> > I downloaded from AMD, with the incriminating evidence, and the
> > table was removed from later releases.
> >
> > If you want to see socket 754 population rules, see page 38 of:
> > ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v/e1421b_k8v_deluxe.pdf
> >
> > If you do find a manual for K8N-E, it should have a similar

If you do not want to overclock, pick up any 3200 rated from corsair,
kingston, crucial, mushkin. if you want to overclock, you'll need to
do some homework. pricegrabber is a good place to look.

oops, need to post up top :)

If you do not want to overclock, pick up any 3200 rated from corsair,
kingston, crucial, mushkin. if you want to overclock, you'll need to
do some homework. pricegrabber is a good place to look.

i want to OC, so I am considering Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 2-2-2-5 1GB
Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Xtra-Low Latency Memory w/Black Heat
Spreader. >$300 at zipzoomfly.com.

along with thermalright slk948U heatsink with a 92mm fan.