Counterstrike slowing down to crawl

Sons computer has tonight encountered a problem whilst playing counterstrike
(again!)

The problem starts with the message "CL FLUSH ENTRY PACKET"
Then the ping goes up from the normal 120>170 to over 3000. Ive checked to
see if there are any other programs trying to access the net automatically
for updates ect and found nothing running.

The system is slightly old hat
P3 500Meg
768Meg ram
36meg video card
One hacked off parent!!!!

Anyone know what might be causing this problem or is there something in the
settings not quite right.

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem

Also thanks to my local corner shop for selling strong coffee! :)

"Fast Moggy" <fast.moggynospam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Sons computer has tonight encountered a problem whilst playing
> counterstrike (again!)
>
> The problem starts with the message "CL FLUSH ENTRY PACKET"
> Then the ping goes up from the normal 120>170 to over 3000. Ive checked to
> see if there are any other programs trying to access the net automatically
> for updates ect and found nothing running.
>
> The system is slightly old hat
> P3 500Meg
> 768Meg ram
> 36meg video card
> One hacked off parent!!!!
>
> Anyone know what might be causing this problem or is there something in
> the settings not quite right.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help on this problem
>
> Also thanks to my local corner shop for selling strong coffee! :)

go to the support pages at www.steampowered.com, and you will find this:

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=49&p_created=1092281920&p_sid=EOEejBFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWZsdXNo&p_li=&p_topview=1

or if that's tooooooo loooooooong, try this:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2462261B

Uzi

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2004

> > go to the support pages at www.steampowered.com, and you will find this:

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_ad
p.php?p_faqid=49&p_created=1092281920&p_sid=EOEejBFh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTE
mcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9
wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJ
jaF90ZXh0PWZsdXNo&p_li=&p_topview=1

> > or if that's tooooooo loooooooong, try this:
> >
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?J2462261B
> >
> Thanks.

I've had the problem you describe.
Mine was often caused by my Steam connection settings changing at
random(bugged) from 56k modem (yes I know its slow) to any other setting. It
used to happen almost always after a Steam update, but has not occurred for
me recently.
Also try making sure your cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate settings, in the
CS1.6 console, are correct for your internet connection type.
On a 56k V90 modem I find I have to set cl_updaterate to 3500 manually in
the console after joining a server, just to get stable, playable pings, on
some servers.

Uzi