Newbie here.

If 1004 is more than 2 or 3 revisions old, yes you should upgrade. If
it's only one or two revisions old, then look at the list of changes
made since 1004 and see how you feel about that.

I have done hundreds of BIOS updates and have never had one single
problem. But please, do not even attempt the bios upgrade under
windows, do it under DOS. Be absolutely sure that you have the correct
upgrade file, boot into a true command mode or DOS, and run the update
program that came with the motherboard. On many of the later BIOS', the
bios upgrade function is built into the BIOS itself and you don't boot
to ANY actual operating system, neither windows nor DOS, but you do need
a disk device (floppy, CD, hard drive or even USB flash drive) with the
bios upgrade firmware in the "root" directory.