usb device is "unknown device"

May 26, 2004 3:06:03 PM

have an Intel Pro PC CS430 webcam, worked great when I bought it. I disconnected it to use on a different pc, and when I plugged it back into mine, windows says it is an unknown device. The cam worked fine before I unplugged it. I checked device manager, it shows it as an unknown device is the usb section, the scanner and camera wizard that XP Home comes with can't find the driver for it even though I downloaded it from Intel and I also have the software cd for the cam. I tried to install the drivers seperately but I must have bad driver files as the scanner and camera utility cannot complete the installation, nor can I update the driver in device manager. Any ideas??
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 3:16:09 PM

also forgot to say that the cam works on other pc's running XP Home Edition, usb ports work with other usb devices no problem. Not sure where to go from there. Ive worked on this issue for over a week now, even going as far as reformatting the hard drive. (was due for a clean up anyway). I tried to install the software that came with the cam, to no avail as the software requires you to connect the camera to the pc, which I did, but it still comes up as an unknown device, so the software install closes as it needs to find the camera also. I may not know everything there is to know about computers, but since it worked before on this system, and I know the basics of computer setup, I thought perhaps someone else might know how to fix what I cant figure out. Im stumped and out of ideas except to take a perfectly good working camera and toss it out the door.
Anonymous
May 26, 2004 4:26:03 PM

I'm going through the same thing and its driving me crazy! I would really like some help with this also..
!