windows media encoder

June 13, 2004 12:28:07 AM

I'm trying to convert DVD's to a pocket format for my dell axim5 2002. I use
WMP encoder and encode the movie to the pocket pc format, after the encoding
is done what do I need to do next? I thought that after encoding the DVD I
could just copy it to my axim. but it's not working. any ideas?

More about : windows media encoder

June 13, 2004 2:29:53 AM

You are going to need a merry card larg enough go hold the
movie and play it from there.

Anonymous
June 13, 2004 2:16:58 PM

Can you explain more about what's not working ? Let's assume you are
using the encoder version 9 for now.... The file works OK on your PC ?

Profiles to avoid in the encoder include ones which use windows media
audio 9 (since this is not supported in WMP8 used by Pocket PC) as
well as any high bitrate codecs.

I think (from memory) there was a limitation in WMP8 for PPC to
225kbps overall stream rate, this may be a problem if you've gone
higher. The assumption was made that mobile devices only had enough
processing capacity for lowere bitrate streams....

Also - how are you copying across the file ? Is it all there ? (File
size corresponds to the size of the file you encoded at ?)

Cheers - Neil

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:28:07 -0700, "John Smith"
<someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to convert DVD's to a pocket format for my dell axim5 2002. I use
>WMP encoder and encode the movie to the pocket pc format, after the encoding
>is done what do I need to do next? I thought that after encoding the DVD I
>could just copy it to my axim. but it's not working. any ideas?

June 13, 2004 9:53:14 PM

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Can you explain more about what's not working ? Let's assume you are
> using the encoder version 9 for now.... The file works OK on your PC ?
>
> Profiles to avoid in the encoder include ones which use windows media
> audio 9 (since this is not supported in WMP8 used by Pocket PC) as
> well as any high bitrate codecs.
>
> I think (from memory) there was a limitation in WMP8 for PPC to
> 225kbps overall stream rate, this may be a problem if you've gone
> higher. The assumption was made that mobile devices only had enough
> processing capacity for lowere bitrate streams....
>
> Also - how are you copying across the file ? Is it all there ? (File
> size corresponds to the size of the file you encoded at ?)
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:28:07 -0700, "John Smith"
> <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm trying to convert DVD's to a pocket format for my dell axim5 2002. I
use
> >WMP encoder and encode the movie to the pocket pc format, after the
encoding
> >is done what do I need to do next? I thought that after encoding the DVD
> >could just copy it to my axim. but it's not working. any ideas?
> >
> After the encoding session of say a 55mb audio book on tape or a 15mb
video clip. what remains is a little 6kb file? what happened to the content
that I encoded?
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 3:24:29 PM

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:53:14 -0700, "John Smith"
<someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

Wel, that's not right, it sounds like a blank encoded file (just 6k
overhead)

You are probably selecting video and not the audio source, where you
need to select to encode from the audio file and deselect video or
script sources when you edit the profile.

Make sure to save the profile (for future use) you can then attach
the encoder profile (file) to a newsgroup message for us to check out.
The file name will end in .prx

Cheers - Neil

!