XP won't recognize new 2nd hard drive

I have installed a WD800BB00CAA1 80GB hard drive as primary slave. I have a
WD400BB00DEA0 40 GB as primary master. Both drives are properly configured
and the BIOS recognizes them. The primary master is partitioned into a 30 GB
primary partition (C:) and a 10 GB secondary partition (D:). I also have a
Samsung SW212B CD-RW as secondary master (E:) and a IDE CD-ROM as secondary
slave (F:).

The BIOS is AMI BIOS (c) 2001. The system is a shop built system and has
been running XP Home for six months without problems. I am logged in as an
administrator account. WD Data Lifeguard for DOS recognizes and partitioned
the new drive without problem when booted from floppy, however when I am in
XP I cannot get the system to recognize it. It does not show up on the
device manager, disk management, or in WD Date Lifeguard for Windows. I have
rescanned in disk management, run add hardware and everything I can think
of, but there is no joy in Mudville. I partitioned the drive in Lifeguard
for DOS as an NTFS one time and FAT 32 the second time and it made no
difference. The primary master is FAT32 (call me old fashioned, I still have
some utilities that use FAT32 and don't like NTFS. Maybe one of these days.)
I also moved the secondary partition (D:) to (M:), but that didn't help
either.

I'm going crazy, CRAZY! Please help!
--
Louis
Never argue with dragons,

Louis, did you try Cable Select Jumper Settings for both Drives? Try using
a Bootdisk and fdisk the 80G. Delete all
partitions and start over and format while your there. www.bootdisk.com
has one if you need it.