External HardDrive not recognised

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I have a 120 gig harddrive that connects via USB that use
to read no problems. Now when i plug it in, the light
will flash as if its reading from it, then stops, then
trys again then stops. I cant even get the removable disk
icon in my computer to show up. Its as though some start
up files have been corrupted. I have tested the external
connections on another drive and that drive reads fine so
its a problem with the physical harddrive itself. I have
a lot of information on here which i have backed up but
some stuff i didnt get a chance to and thats the stuff i
need. My question is

1. What may be the possible cause of this
2. What are my options in terms of recovery
3. How do i get access to the drive to recover/re format
again if it doesnt show up when plugged in.

Your assistance is needed!!!

Thank You.

bar

You could try to install the drive 'internally' just plug in the IDE and Power cables, don't have to screw it into the box.

If BIOS recognises the drive you will have a chance at accessing the disk.,

Then start up Windows and if you're lucky you will be able to read / r\write to the disk.

If neither of these operations work, then the hard disk has failed. There are Data Recovery Experts who can collect and attempt to recover your Disk. The price for these services is HIGH usually US$300 or more.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. After a bunch of write delay errors over a usb port connection the 120 Gb iomega drive disappeared and is not now seen by any PC i've since tried it on. Iomega are willing to replace the drive under warranty but don't do data recovery. The drive spins up so i would agree with you that its just lost some boot file. Oh well.

"Jason" <jason_osman@yahoo.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have a 120 gig harddrive that connects via USB that use
> to read no problems. Now when i plug it in, the light
> will flash as if its reading from it, then stops, then

Sorry this is late. Try this.

When you plug it in and it installs, use the safely remove hardware icon
next to the clock to stop this device. Then re-install it.

Marcus