Question about moving to GSM

Last response: in Network Providers
June 22, 2004 11:20:10 PM

I have a SE T60d and I am looking at the SE T637. At my house I have
marginal service that will lose the call if I move from room to room etc.
This is a Digital (denoted by the "D" next to the signal bar) area. I
sometimes travel to areas that are analog (denoted by the "A" next to the
signal bar). All areas are still under the Cingular coverage according to
the map on the Cingular website. My question is if I move to a GSM only
phone such as the T637 will I have worse reception and coverage? I really
like the new phones/features but I am worried about being able to make calls
from both my house and the "analog" areas I frequent.

More about : question moving gsm

June 22, 2004 11:20:11 PM

Depends on where you are located and where you travel. Did you look at the
Cingular map online?
DC
"RDD" <rdyer@houston.rr.devnull.com> wrote in message
> I have a SE T60d and I am looking at the SE T637. At my house I have
> marginal service that will lose the call if I move from room to room etc.
> This is a Digital (denoted by the "D" next to the signal bar) area. I
> sometimes travel to areas that are analog (denoted by the "A" next to the
> signal bar). All areas are still under the Cingular coverage according to
> the map on the Cingular website. My question is if I move to a GSM only
> phone such as the T637 will I have worse reception and coverage? I really
> like the new phones/features but I am worried about being able to make
calls
> from both my house and the "analog" areas I frequent.

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:14:48 PM

"DC" <dc295@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Depends on where you are located and where you travel. Did you look at the
> Cingular map online?
> DC
> "RDD" <rdyer@houston.rr.devnull.com> wrote in message
> > I have a SE T60d and I am looking at the SE T637. At my house I have
> > marginal service that will lose the call if I move from room to room
etc.
> > This is a Digital (denoted by the "D" next to the signal bar) area. I
> > sometimes travel to areas that are analog (denoted by the "A" next to
the
> > signal bar). All areas are still under the Cingular coverage according
> > the map on the Cingular website. My question is if I move to a GSM only
> > phone such as the T637 will I have worse reception and coverage? I
really
> > like the new phones/features but I am worried about being able to make
> calls
> > from both my house and the "analog" areas I frequent.

Yes I looked at the map. According to the map I should have coverage but as
I stated in my previous post in some of those areas I get an "Analog"
indicator on my T60d..Would that possibly be an indication that using a non
analog/all digital gsm phone such as the T637 that I would have no service
at that particular location?
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 12:24:53 AM

> "DC" <dc295@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > Depends on where you are located and where you travel. Did you look at
the
> > Cingular map online?
> > DC
> > "RDD" <rdyer@houston.rr.devnull.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a SE T60d and I am looking at the SE T637. At my house I have
> > > marginal service that will lose the call if I move from room to room
> etc.
> > > This is a Digital (denoted by the "D" next to the signal bar) area. I
> > > sometimes travel to areas that are analog (denoted by the "A" next to
> the
> > > signal bar). All areas are still under the Cingular coverage
according
> > > the map on the Cingular website. My question is if I move to a GSM
only
> > > phone such as the T637 will I have worse reception and coverage? I
> really
> > > like the new phones/features but I am worried about being able to make
> > calls
> > > from both my house and the "analog" areas I frequent.
> > >

> Yes I looked at the map. According to the map I should have coverage but
as
> I stated in my previous post in some of those areas I get an "Analog"
> indicator on my T60d..Would that possibly be an indication that using a
non
> analog/all digital gsm phone such as the T637 that I would have no service
> at that particular location?

No, they have different transmitters on the same tower.
I'm having the same problem here in Ar. My V60t sometimes is on analog,
sometimes on digital and weak signals on both at my home.
My daughter just got a new samsung x427 and gets a full signal at the same
place, my home.
You can walk 2 blocks and see the tower!!

bamp

!