Using different brands and types of memory

My system is an Asus p4pe with a Pentium 3.06Ghz and one stick of 512MB PNY PC2100
memory. I decided to upgrade my memory to a stick of 512MB SpecTek PC2700, which didn't
make any noticeable difference at all (Yes, I know, what a stupid purchase that was).

I tried installing both memory sticks and it worked well at first with both sticks running at 266Mhz.
But one morning, my computer wouldn't boot up. It reached the point just before the Windows
logon screen before flashing some message on the screen for a nano-second like "an error has
occured..." too fast to read it and the computer immediately tried to boot from scratch again.

I wonder if there is some way in the bios to match up these different memory sticks.

simplicool@hotmail.com wrote:
> My system is an Asus p4pe with a Pentium 3.06Ghz and one stick of 512MB
> PNY PC2100
> memory. I decided to upgrade my memory to a stick of 512MB SpecTek
> PC2700, which didn't
> make any noticeable difference at all (Yes, I know, what a stupid
> purchase that was).
>
> I tried installing both memory sticks and it worked well at first with
> both sticks running at 266Mhz. But one morning, my computer wouldn't boot
> up. It reached the point just before the Windows
> logon screen before flashing some message on the screen for a nano-second
> like "an error has occured..." too fast to read it and the computer
> immediately tried to boot from scratch again.
>
> I wonder if there is some way in the bios to match up these different
> memory sticks.

Usually I recommend setting the timings manually, especially when using
different DIMMs.

Ben