P4C800E-Deluxe CPU temp

I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL database
right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of data.
(takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds like
a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
105F/41C.

Here's the catch. I'm not overclocking at all. All BIOS settings are
standard for my P43.2E I have a Lian-Li ALUMINUM case with 4 case fans,
which should be more than adequate for cooling.

I know these temps are "technically" within specs, but just barely. My last
PC I built with the P4T533-C and a 2.3Ghz P4 cpu the max the cpu ever got
was to 114F and the motherboard never got warm at all.

Should I be pushing the thermal envelope like this with standard settings?
By the way, the CPU cooling fan is the standard one supplied by Intel with
the boxxed processor.

I wouldn't worry that much about the temps you're seeing. While they may
seem a bit high to you, according to Intels site, the P4 3.2E is rated at
73.2 C
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL7B8&ProcFam=483&PkgType=ALL&SysBusSpd=ALL&CorSpd=ALL

I'm running a standard 3.2 with an all copper Zalman HSF, and under full
load, hits the mid 50's C.

"JugHead McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote in message
> I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL database
> right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of data.
> (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds
like
> a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
> 105F/41C.
>
> Here's the catch. I'm not overclocking at all. All BIOS settings are
> standard for my P43.2E I have a Lian-Li ALUMINUM case with 4 case fans,
> which should be more than adequate for cooling.
>
> I know these temps are "technically" within specs, but just barely. My
last
> PC I built with the P4T533-C and a 2.3Ghz P4 cpu the max the cpu ever got
> was to 114F and the motherboard never got warm at all.
>
> Should I be pushing the thermal envelope like this with standard settings?
> By the way, the CPU cooling fan is the standard one supplied by Intel with
> the boxxed processor.

Lazarus

Its the summertime.......and I have noticed that on some days when the temp
outside doesnt appear to be that hot.....in other words its not a
scorcher......the cpu and mb temps can rise quite dramatically!

I am running about 6 c above normal with my pc sitting idle!

And I am up in Glasgow where its generally a degree or 2 cooler than the
rest of the uk

"JugHead McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote in message
> I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL database
> right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of data.
> (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds
like
> a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
> 105F/41C.
>
> Here's the catch. I'm not overclocking at all. All BIOS settings are
> standard for my P43.2E I have a Lian-Li ALUMINUM case with 4 case fans,
> which should be more than adequate for cooling.
>
> I know these temps are "technically" within specs, but just barely. My
last
> PC I built with the P4T533-C and a 2.3Ghz P4 cpu the max the cpu ever got
> was to 114F and the motherboard never got warm at all.
>
> Should I be pushing the thermal envelope like this with standard settings?
> By the way, the CPU cooling fan is the standard one supplied by Intel with
> the boxxed processor.

Now you know why savy users are not impressed with the Prescott processors.
They all run too hot.

--
DaveW

"JugHead McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote in message
> I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL database
> right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of data.
> (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds
like
> a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
> 105F/41C.
>
> Here's the catch. I'm not overclocking at all. All BIOS settings are
> standard for my P43.2E I have a Lian-Li ALUMINUM case with 4 case fans,
> which should be more than adequate for cooling.
>
> I know these temps are "technically" within specs, but just barely. My
last
> PC I built with the P4T533-C and a 2.3Ghz P4 cpu the max the cpu ever got
> was to 114F and the motherboard never got warm at all.
>
> Should I be pushing the thermal envelope like this with standard settings?
> By the way, the CPU cooling fan is the standard one supplied by Intel with
> the boxxed processor.

Paul

Splendid

In article <%PXJc.136222$wH4.7147842@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "JugHead
McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote:

> I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL database
> right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of data.
> (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds like
> a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
> 105F/41C.
>
> Here's the catch. I'm not overclocking at all. All BIOS settings are
> standard for my P43.2E I have a Lian-Li ALUMINUM case with 4 case fans,
> which should be more than adequate for cooling.
>
> I know these temps are "technically" within specs, but just barely. My last
> PC I built with the P4T533-C and a 2.3Ghz P4 cpu the max the cpu ever got
> was to 114F and the motherboard never got warm at all.
>
> Should I be pushing the thermal envelope like this with standard settings?
> By the way, the CPU cooling fan is the standard one supplied by Intel with
> the boxxed processor.

I guess my first question is, what is room temp ? If room temp is 25C
or slightly less, your case is getting too hot. An AMD document aimed
for 7C rise between room temp and case air temp. You are running more
like 16C. Take the side off the case and see if the CPU temperature
drops dramatically. It could be a sign that the Lian Li configuration
needs some work (i.e. crank case fan speed, reduce resistance to air
flow by removing filter screens, remove fan grillwork at the
expense of increased EMI escaping from the computer case). You
might also find repositioning the computer case, so it isn't buried
in a dead spot in the room, will help. Prescott equipped computers
will make the local air around them, a bit warmer, and hiding such
a computer under a desk is asking for trouble.

In terms of your "jet engine" description, that cannot be avoided
due to the behavior of the Intel fan. The Intel retail fan is thermally
controlled, but it is based on the temperature of the air passing
through the fan, as opposed to measuring the CPU temperature. At 40C
air temp, the fan will be pretty well maxxed. (If you were to enable
Q-fan, for example, the Q-fan algorithm is based on measured CPU
temperature, and Q-fan tries to make the CPU hit 50C. Under the
conditions you've got right now, Q-fan wouldn't make a difference,
but the fan could be made quieter when the computer is idling, at
the price of keeping the CPU at 50C.)

One idea you might consider is ducting the processor. If you could
draw the warm air from the processor, before it heats the rest of the
case, that might help.

The Zalman 7000a mentioned by another poster, would solve your noise
problem, but it won't make the case temperature drop any. The nice
thing about the Zalman, is it might make it possible to put the
computer on your desktop, so it gets more room air circulation.

The main concern with the case temperature, is what it is doing to
your disk drives. Modern disk drives aren't meant to run at high
temperatures, so anything you can do to reduce the case temp will
allow the drives to live longer.

HTH,
Paul

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

> In article <%PXJc.136222$wH4.7147842@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "JugHead
> McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote:
>
> > I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL
database
> > right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of
data.
> > (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds
like
> > a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
> > 105F/41C.
<snip>

Actually, 56C is not that hot. Open the Windows Task Manager and select
Performance. If your CPU usage is 100% or close to it, 56C is ok. I have a
3.2GH (not prescott) it runs about 52C when loaded to 100%.

Anon

Paul

Splendid

In article <0N6dnSm5A77FW2XdRVn-sA@giganews.com>, "Anon"
<anon4592004@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > In article <%PXJc.136222$wH4.7147842@twister.southeast.rr.com>, "JugHead
> > McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL
> database
> > > right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of
> data.
> > > (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds
> like
> > > a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
> > > 105F/41C.
> <snip>
>
> Actually, 56C is not that hot. Open the Windows Task Manager and select
> Performance. If your CPU usage is 100% or close to it, 56C is ok. I have a
> 3.2GH (not prescott) it runs about 52C when loaded to 100%.
>
> Anon

I'm not worried about his processor. I'm worried about his 41C case
temperature. The processor can hack it, the rest of the computer
might not be so happy about the whole thing. If the computer is in
an air conditioned environment, then the humidity level will be
reduced enough so that the disk drive won't be affected. If the
computer is in a non air conditioned environment where the humidity
can reach 60% RH or higher, then 41C is too high for the disk drive.

Electrolytic cap life is also affected by operating temp, and that
means the PSU and the Vcore circuit around the processor will be
feeling the heat. Finding a way to get the processor heat out of
the case, without heating up the rest of the case air, would be
a good idea. (Ducting or a water block, pump, and external
radiator.)

At 56C, the processor is still happy. It is busy toasting
marshmallows and telling campfire stories :)

Temperature does affect the processor's computed life span, and
in my previous life, we used the Arrhenius relationship to do
that calculation (life cut in half for every 7 degree C temp
rise). But, in practical terms, most PCs are upgraded
before you get close to the "end of life".

Paul

ChrisH

>"JugHead McGraw" <test@me.com> wrote in message
>> I know the new Prescott CPU's run hot, but I'm compiling a MySQL database
>> right now with a little over 250 tables and about 350,000 pieces of data.
>> (takes about 20 minutes) My CPU fan is pegged at 5,200RPM (and sounds
>like
>> a jet engine)and the CPU temp is around 132F/56C. Motherboard temp is
>> 105F/41C.
>>
>> Here's the catch. I'm not overclocking at all. All BIOS settings are
>> standard for my P43.2E I have a Lian-Li ALUMINUM case with 4 case fans,
>> which should be more than adequate for cooling.
>>
>> I know these temps are "technically" within specs, but just barely. My
>last
>> PC I built with the P4T533-C and a 2.3Ghz P4 cpu the max the cpu ever got
>> was to 114F and the motherboard never got warm at all.
>>
>> Should I be pushing the thermal envelope like this with standard settings?
>> By the way, the CPU cooling fan is the standard one supplied by Intel with
>> the boxxed processor.

Your problem appears to be failure of your case to remove the heat
being generated by the CPU (and other components like a hot GFX card
if you have one, but mainly the CPU). If your case temp could be
lowered by 5deg then your CPU temp would drop accordingly. Your case
temp is usually the Northbridge temp unless you have added another
probe.

Four 80mm case fans should be enough *provided* the case offers free
flow of air front to back. This assumes the case is not situated in a
closed or restricted area. Therefore, look to the interior of the case
and see what you can do to improve things - remove obstructions as
best you can, tuck cables out of the way, use rounded cables (if IDE).
If it has a filter check that the front vents are not obstructed by
dust. If you have a 9800pro (for example) use an Arctic VGA Silencer
as that throws the heat out the back leaving less work for the case
fans to do.

My 3.0 Prescott is oc'd to 3.3 and also runs hot - 48 deg on idle -
but the case temp is just 27 deg. When driven hard the cpu will rise
to 55 but the case temp only rises 3 or 4 degrees. The large
difference (delta-t of 20-25deg) between case temp and cpu temp when
driven hard indicates the case fans are doing their job. In your case
a delta-t of only 15deg suggests yours are not.

ChrisH

Tim

The simplest and best improvement I have seen to date with the Intel stock
assemblies is to have a duct from the case side panel immediately over the
CPU allowing free flow of room temparature air straight into the CPU fan.

- Tim